What would you do?

by Xena 32 Replies latest jw friends

• Xena
    Xena

We recently hired a sales person for our company. She is a friend of a a friend of the owners. It's a small company and a lot of the time I'm alone upstairs in our office. Not the best neighborhood, I had a bum come upstairs once asking for money. I keep a can of mace in my purse just in case I need it.

So this new person tell us Friday that her ex boyfriend is getting out of jail in Arkansas and has threatened to come here kill her. Someone apparently told him her cell number, where she works and where she lives. He stated that he was going to come to her work, put a gun to her head and blow it off. She recounted this to us in front of her 14 year old son. Apparently this isn't the first time he has threatened to kill her.

She was told that he was on his way here by both his mother and uncle. They said they planned on turning him into the police as leaving the state was against his parole. As of this morning no one knew where he was. I spoke with my employer and told them I didn't feel comfortable staying here alone due to the circumstances. They agreed with me. Then she told them that she spoke with his mother and she told her that he was in Lubbock working which is 12 hours away. So now they expect me to go ahead and stay here alone.

The police have been no help, ie they can't do anything unless he shows up.

I need my job, I'm several weeks away from leaving the country and can't afford to be w/o a job and can't get a new job in the intrim, but I'm not feeling real good about being a sitting duck in case this guy comes in looking for her.

So any recommendations?

• bisous
    bisous

Can you work from home? as in telecommute? Seriously ... it isn't usually that hard to do and since you are short term ...

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

Heck, I don't feel comfortable with you there this very second.

Can you get police protection right now? Would you be willing to leave today, for the day? You ARE entitled to work in a safe environment.

<---Watches AMW too much, I guess.

Fug that, leave!

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

Didn't those moron cops learn anything from VT or any of the past shootings where there was warnings that they ignored???

I would try again with the police, and remind them of that and that you need to feel safe where you work. If that guy is in Lubbock and breaking parole, he needs to be picked up and taken back to AR........uggggg I live in AR.

Tell them you need reassurance of where he is.

Why would they ignore this?

purps

• unique1
    unique1

Is there any way to keep the door locked since you say you are upstairs? If so, I would lock every door between me and the entrance. I would also have a hiding place picked out and keep my celly on my hip to call 911 if he shoots through the front door. I would also get his picture and show it to everyone in the building as a precaution.

• Xena
    Xena

I can't link into the Quickbooks from my house and that is what I do most of my work on bis.

Apparently the police work on a wait till something actually happens basis. As for where he is I guess we are supposed to believe his mother. Funny how no one else wants to linger here but they don't mind me sitting here alone.

• MegaDude
    MegaDude

The guy is all hat and no cattle. If he just got out of prison, he does not want to go back. Prison is hell.

• Xena
    Xena

It's pretty open here. I work at our fabrication facility (we fabricate and install granite) so there are bay doors plus a front door. The door upstairs to my office doesn't lock.

To be honest even if you locked all the doors someone could get in pretty easily. I do have my mace out though.

• Xena
    Xena
    The guy is all hat and no cattle. If he just got out of prison, he does not want to go back. Prison is hell.

Dunno there are some stupid people out there. I'd prefer not to be the victim of one if I can help it.

I'm getting closer and closer to just telling them I'm not gonna stay here until he is picked up.

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Xena,

Go home until this person is dealt with. Do not take risks with your life.

Your employer would not dare to fire you under such circumstances as he is putting you in harms way, an illegal act for an employer.

HS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit