Disfellowshipping smokers is an outrage!

by yaddayadda 38 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• yaddayadda
    yaddayadda

How does the Society scripturally justify taking the ultra-harsh measure of disfellowshipping and shunning persons who merely enjoy smoking a few cigarettes a day?

In what way is mild smoking a gross sin that is deserving of such a harsh punishment?

How on earth does the Society make the connection between the scriptural exhortation to 'cleanse ourselves of every defilement of flesh and spirit' (2 Cor 7:1 & 2) to taking the extremely harsh measure of denying a smoker the right to any contact with their fellow congregation members, friends, and JW family? 2 Cor 7: 1 & 2 is hardly forceful enough to justify disfellowshipping.

In all the passages of scripture that enumerate the kinds of immoral, sinful activities that Christians must avoid there is not the slightest hint of disfellowshipping someone merely for smoking habitually.

For example, 1 Corinthians 6:9-10 says "What! Do you not know that unrighteous persons will not inherit God's kingdom? Do not be misled. Neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men kept for unnatural purposes, nor men who lie with men, nor thieves, nor greedy persons, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners will inherit God's kingdom."

1 Cor 5: 11 "But now I am writing you to quit mixing in company with anyone called a brother that is a fornicator or a greedy person or an idolater or an extortioner, not even eating with such a man."

Galatians 5: 19, 20 "Now the works of the flesh are manifest, and they are fornication, uncleanness, loose conduct, idolatry, practice of spiritism, enmities, strife, jealousy, fits of anger, contentions, divisions, sects, envies, drunken bouts, revelries, and things like these. As to these things I am forewarning you, the same way as I did forewarn you, that those who practice such things will not inherit God's kingdom."

Revelation 21: 8 "But as for the cowards and those without faith and those who are disgusting in their filth and murderers and fornicators and idolaters and all the liars, their portion will be in the lake that burns with fire and sulphur. This means the second death."

Where do they get from these scriptures that merely smoking a few cigarettes regularly is a sin gross enough in God's eyes to merit disfellowshiping?

If a JW only smokes in moderation (ie, avoids chronic chain-smoking) and takes every reasonable effort to avoid fouling up the air of those around him, how can it be justifiable to disfellowship and shun him? Besides the obvious health connotations, how is it worse than say, a JW who is chronically addicted to caffeine, drinking, say, a dozen cups a day? Chronic caffeine consumptions is arguably just as much a 'defilement of flesh and spirit' and a display of 'greediness' as a smoker who smokes, say, 6 cigarretes a day.

Surely the very most they can do to smokers is apply the 'marking' policy found at 2 Thessalonians 3: 14 & 15. And even that would be harsh and essentially unscriptural.

I think disfellowshipping smokers is a bloody outrage.

• reneeisorym
    reneeisorym

CULT!! .. It is an outrage. It makes no sense.

• dvw
    dvw

why not? what dont they try to crowd out of your life? anything that competes with the worship of the governing body is not acceptable. work, family, hobbies, life, whatever.

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

Outrage, yes. Surprised, no.

JWs are notorious for letting a few men in the writing department to create policy that will effect millions without ever giving it much thought. The men who create such rules have a deep ivory tower syndrome that separates them from the effects of the policies they create.

I wouldn't doubt that many of those who brought about this 'new light' way back yonder thought that it was essential and necessary. With that said I also do not doubt that very little or absolutely no thought was given to the effects such a policy would have. A classic example of deluded, arrogant men wielding power that they don't even understand.

• juni
    juni

I remember when this edict came out in the 1970's. I believe they gave smokers one year to quit or else face DFment.

I see your point. Next thing it will be Twinkie lovers..... or?

Juni

• Brain Dead
    Brain Dead

Because impart they are trying to create a spiritually clean and righteous organization for the general public to see, call it image building or public relations.

their agenda is to make themselves stand out better that other religions, a clean appearance is very important in the marketing of themselves. Other rules that come to mind

would be men to have short hair, appropriate dress for going in service and there are others. They don't seem to touch booze very much though so thats why many jws. indulge in that so

called pleasure. Which brings to mind why did Jesus turn that water to wine anyways, didn't he care about those peoples health, I guess wine makes one more spiritually righteous

• Scully
    Scully
    How does the Society scripturally justify taking the ultra-harsh measure of disfellowshipping and shunning persons who merely enjoy smoking a few cigarettes a day?

In what way is mild smoking a gross sin that is deserving of such a harsh punishment?

It occurred to me recently that this is not about "uncleanness" or "spiritism" or whatever they want to call it. What it is all about, imo, is the fact that if they can control your behaviour, they can also control your beliefs and attitudes.

Smoking is one of those habits (behaviours) that demonstrates that you don't give a crap about what the WTS wants you to do. It is often one of the first things that signals "rebellion" to the JWs.

That is why they are harsh about it - because if they can get you to control it, they can gain control of your thought processes too. They prove it by enforcing shunning - they get other people to treat you as though you were dead (behaviour), simply on their say-so, and for a silly thing like smoking.

• Scully
    Scully

Oh, and FYI, they no longer Disfellowship™ someone for smoking. The person is deemed Disassociated™ by their own actions.

'Tis true. That's how they handled it with Mr Scully.

• blondie
    blondie

I had smokers in my family that smoked at home but never in public, at the KH or in FS. 1973 was a stunning shock to them. Quit in 6 months when they had not been able in 20 years!?

I am allergic to cigarette smoke; uncontrollable sneezing and a huge headache. So I stay away from smoking areas and people who are smoking. But df'ing people....out for smoking, but Sister ElderWhoPoopDontStink can lacerate the reputations of 2 people a day and not even a suggestion that she could be booted.

I prefer cigarette smoke any day than the lethal effects of malicious gossip in the local KH.

Blondie

• yaddayadda
    yaddayadda

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BLONDIE! Have a super special day.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit