Scholarship Fund For Ex-JWs

by Madame Quixote 11 Replies latest jw friends

• Madame Quixote
    Madame Quixote

Yes, I realize it's quite a hare-brained idea . . . how to verify, etc. But still . . . it could be done and I like the idea.

I'd love to hear ideas about how we CAN do this, not the naysayers.

I am sure that it could be done, and could be done successfully, if only on a small-scale, word of mouth level, if a few committed people are willing to oversee/coordinate such an endeavour.

I wonder if anyone here has experience with this sort of thing? International, national, local?

Brainstorm . . . if it can be conceived it can be achieved.

• Madame Quixote
    Madame Quixote

Maybe I am overly excited about moving away from the,"Oh-you-poor-dear-let-me-help-you-lick-your-wounds" mode, and into the "how can I be of help in a real, material, tangible" way, without ennabling.

That's not to say that wounds don't ever need licking, but, well, I'm sick of the taste of scabs.

Anyone else feel this way sometimes?

• GoingGoingGone
    GoingGoingGone

One way you might achieve this is to set up a foundation to that effect. Ex-JWs ccould apply for scholarships in writing, and the Board of Directors would make the decision on who gets the annual/semi-annual scholarship that the foundation awards.

That's all I know about how foundations work off the top of my head. My daughter applied for many scholarships before she started college, and nearly all had stipulations as to who could apply (based on ethnicity, field of study, geographic location, education level of parents, etc.) I'm sure you could find lots of information about it online!

GGG

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

I'm behind you Madame Q!

Proactive is the way to be.

• YoursChelbie
    YoursChelbie

That idea sounds like it would take some coordinated effort, but would be very worthwhile if we could make it work.

Most scholarships are awarded based on financial need and academic progress.

I think that in order for a person to qualify for funds they should be enrolled in a University, have a real financial need, and be making good academic progress towards a Four Year degree. There could be one or two administrators who could verify the enrollment, and tuition cost of three or four XJW students in a given academic year. After verifying the students enrollment, these administrators could start a thread with information about the students in need of help with tuition. The information would explain the manner in which donations can be received: Money Orders or PayPal for all three students during one academic year. The information would also include the college they are attending, the degree they are seeking, etc. Funds should be kept in a bank account and only the administrators would be able to make payments directly to the University in behalf of each student. Current bank statements should be scanned onto a web site for inspection by anyone (with only the first part of the account number or last names crossed out.) Any remaining funds can be used for the same three recepients to help pay the following years' tuition until we see them graduate.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

I think 34 year old males should be the first to be considered for said scholarship.

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

If you get it to fly. I'll take one.

• J-ex-W
    J-ex-W
    I think 34 year old males should be the first to be considered for said scholarship.

Nope, nope, nope. Never let that be said, Nvr! Without a doubt, 39-year-old females should top out the list--with disabilities. [Yes, that's right. You heard it. I trumped you by pulling out the 'disability card...!'] Madame Quixote----------It's a wonderful idea you have here! I truly hope it can be seen to fruition. I have a current need...and I know/ hope that at some point my extremely intelligent JW teenage sons will come to recognize their need to pursue higher education goals as well. I may not see such a fund for me, in my lifetime...but I would SOOOO love to see it become available for them, even if years down the road.... Goodness knows, by then, they would need it!! (And thank you for even thinking of these things...!!)

• Madame Quixote
    Madame Quixote

Well, if anyone wants to get such a thing going, I would love to contribute in any way possible.

• cabasilas
    cabasilas

I'm starting college (for the first time) next month at the age of 53. I graduated high school in 1972 and college was not on the horizon for me then. I went to Bethel the next year!

Seriously, this is a great idea! The fund could be designated especially for those who did not seek a higher education because of having been JWs and now could benefit from special support.

How about calling it something like "Second Chance for College Scholarship for Ex-JWs" or something similar?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit