This Post Will Offend Current JWs: Annie Lennox should be avoided

by mtsgrad 33 Replies latest jw friends

• PrimateDave
    PrimateDave

I always liked Annie Lennox's music. Never heard anything bad about her from other dubs.

Now, John Denver was a whole different story. All the dubs I knew avoided John Denver's music because he reportedly hated Witnesses.

I liked Stevie Nicks, but someone said that she was a witch.

A young dub hassled me about my album My Life in the Bush of Ghosts by David Byrne and Brian Eno. One track called "The Jezebel Spirit" contains a recording of an exorcism.

When I was a teen, my mom came into the room and heard me playing "Echos" from Pink Floyd's Meddle. It has some really weird guitar based sound effects. She thought it sounded "demonic."

Dave

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk
    "Echos" from Pink Floyd's Meddle.

Now that my friend is kick-ass! Live at Pompei is a cool video with some of that early Floyd stuff on it.

A moment of silence for Syd Barrett please. He passed recently.

• rowan
    rowan

no problem where I come from with Annie Lenox.

the problem was.... Elton John!!! I swear! the rumour said that his songs had hidden meanings for the members of the satanic sect he belonged to. oh my....

Now I spend hours listening to Elton John, I love his music.

• steve2
    steve2

My red-faced JW mother would deny this ever happened, but she knows it really did: She announced to me one afternoon after I got home from work in the 1970s that she had confiscated my Carole King long-playing album Tapestry because one of the tracks was You've Got a Fiend. I pointed out to her that the track was actually called You've Got a Friend. She said she knew and was only joking. She wasn't joking - but she did give me the back the album. It proved that she periodically went into my bedroom and rummaged through my possessions, obviously looking for anything that might be wordly or demonised. Very sad with an unintentional humorous side.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit