HELP....My Daughter Has FLEAS!!!

by onlycurious 25 Replies latest jw friends

• onlycurious
    onlycurious

A flea collar might do the job....but a shock collar may work wonders on her behavior.

Someone did tell me to have her soak her head in water....but they didn't mention I should soak her for 30 minutes. Hmmmm.....lol

I feel sorry for her. I know that if it was ME that had the critters I would need medication to sedate me. I have massively thick hair and I swear I'd have to shave it.

Thanks for the serious tips.....and the comedy is always good. It's important to laugh through it cuz I know I will definately laugh later.

Linens are in the wash.....again.

Brushes are boiling.

• juni
    juni

Good lord what next, hey?

Whenever we visited my in laws in Florida where sand fleas are rampant, Dad had to "bomb" the house before we came. There is something that the dr. can give you for the intense itch. Perhaps call the Urgent Care facility in your area since it's the weekend. I wish I could remember what the dr. gave me to take before we went to Florida so that I wouldn't get a reaction to the fleas.

I feel for your daughter. Those bugs have a mean bite. Also they hop on animals too so if you have pets be sure to treat them as well per vet's advice.

Good luck! Juni ~~

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral

Scrub EVERYTHING IN THE HOUSE. Wash all blankets and bedding. Spray the matresses and pillows with the RID spray, Do it again with all bedding and couches etc in ten days. Maybe call an exterminator.

When we had sandfleas, we never went that far. We vacuumed all the rugs and washed all our bedding in hot water - but I read in a back issue of Mother Earth News that fleas hate garlic, so that was the only other thing we did: feed the entire family raw garlic for about a week (minced, in grilled cheese sandwiches, mostly. Not a problem with us! :)). We were only bothered once more with fleas - and that was two or three years later.

gently feral

• bebu
    bebu

Hi onlycurious!

I'm not familiar with sand fleas... are they that different from regular fleas? I've never heard of treating a kid for fleas the same way one would treat a kid for lice.

A few years back our cats brought in fleas to the house. I was resigned to flea-bombing the place, but before I did I bought some Advantage for the cats. Within 24 hours all the fleas in the house were GONE. They jumped on the cats, and died! So now, I consider the dog/cats we have as flea killers during the summer, because wherever they go the fleas will die.

So, if you have a cat/dog, get some Advantage and let him roam around. --I've lent out our dog to a friend, btw, because her kid brought home fleas too! Seems to be working for them.

Good luck,

bebu

• VM44
    VM44

Can humans use cat/dog flea shampoo?

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

The stuff Sparkplug was talking about is called "diatomaceous earth" it is a very fine silica powder that (with normal precautions, like not huffing it) is safe, but when you get down to the scale of an insect, the stuff is like broken glass. Insects clean and groom themselves, and in doing so will ingest this broken glass, and it punctures their gut and kills them.

I have no experience with using it for flea control in the home, however. i have used it in the garden for chewing insects.

I would think that a really nice lathery shampoo would help - leave it on for several minutes so the fleas drown. Baby shampoo is adequate, you don't need any high powered atomic napalm shampoo.

Then when her hair is drying, oil it with baby oil or light mineral oil. the oil will suffocate the insects. vegetable oil could also be used, as long as it is liquid at room temperature. Lard would be ill-advised.

There's a product called BUHACH that is powered pyrethrin daisies. check it out:

http://www.buhach.com/

Good luck!

• Merry Magdalene
    Merry Magdalene

I used diatomaceous earth for fleas and it worked great.

Best wishes!

~Merry

• Sparkplug
    Sparkplug

"diatomaceous earth"~ Thank you Nathan!! i have been sitting here, ok, walking thinking bumping into things, wondering what the heck the name was. That is it!

It cuts them!

• misanthropic
    misanthropic

Yuck, I didn't know something like that could happen. So can anyone get fleas/lice from going to the beach?

• Gregor
    Gregor

Regular fleas (not sure about sand fleas) eggs are impervious to most remedies. By the way, the eggs look like table salt in size and color. You have to keep up your attack through a couple of hatching cycles. Ringworm is a fungal infection. Most anti fungal creams work well, esp. those products for female yeast infections or even atheletes foot preparations.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit