Have a question for you guys.....

by lavendar 25 Replies latest jw friends

• lavendar
    lavendar

My husband and I were just wondering.......if a son, who is a JW, inherits a large sum of money from his non-JW parents, is he required by his KH or the WTS to give a portion to them??

Thanks very much for any information!

Lavendar

• bigdreaux
    bigdreaux

i don't see why he should get it if he's been practicing shunning. if your not good enough to talk to, why should he get your evil money?

• jeeprube
    jeeprube

Do you mean give a portion to his parents, or to the WTS?

I don't think he's required to do either.

• Sparkplug
    Sparkplug

He is not required...but if he is deep into it, he may feel the need to give them some. The WTS that is. This is a shame. You know? He may just feel it is his duty. The right thing to do.

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

No, he is not require to tithe or give any amount. However if he truly has the JW mindset, he will probably feel guilty if he doesnt give something back to the org/cong. But no, there is no forced giving.

• Lady Liberty
    Lady Liberty

Dear Lavendar,

WELCOME to the forum!! To answer your question,no he would not be required to give the organization any of the money. However, because he most likeley believes that it is God's channel and that it is the only true religion, he may be compelled to donate a portion of it. So it really depends on him.

Sincerely,

Lady Liberty

• lavendar
    lavendar

Thanks for all the answers! The thing is my husband & I want to have a will made soon, and my husband does not want to include our JW son. My husband's afraid our son will give part of it to the WTS.

Bigdreaux - Your thoughts are my husband's thoughts EXACTLY.

Being a mother, I am torn and a little heartbroken when I think about someday our children gathered at our attorney's office for the will reading. And our JW son finds out he gets nothing. I just don't know what to do. I definitely DO NOT want the WTS getting ANYTHING. The thought of him giving them part of his inheritance turns my stomach.

Thanks again, you guys. You're always such a help! I hope we make the right decision.

Lavendar

• bigdreaux
    bigdreaux

well, if you feel obligated to give him money, can you legally stipulate not one penny go to the w.t.s. make him sign a paper before he gets the funds. if he says he will give it to them, give it to other relatives or a good charity.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    well, if you feel obligated to give him money, can you legally stipulate not one penny go to the w.t.s. make him
    sign a paper before he gets the funds. if he says he will give it to them, give it to other relatives or a good charity.

I agree. Talk to a lawyer about what you can do.

Understand that you are limited, though. If he doesn't give YOUR money to them, he can use it to live
    and give HIS money to the WTS. Or he could increase his service to them because of your money.

Ultimately, he's your son, and you wanted him to have it. You could just give it to him, or live forever and
    never pass it on.

• lavendar
    lavendar

Yes, we thought about getting a stipulation in the will that he NOT give any to the WTS. But....what's really to stop him from doing that? No one would know.

If seems the general c onsensus is it would ultimately be up to him whether he wanted to give the WTS anything. And not that the WTS would require him to. Since his wife is even MORE gung-ho as a witness than he, she would probably demand he give some to the WTS.

Oh man.....this is hard. The thought of cutting one of your children out of your will is heartbreaking.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit