How Do You Let Go Of Your Guilt?

by minimus 30 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

I think some persons are more easily guilty types than others. When my mom used to discipline me and my brother as kids, she would say, "You've lost Jehovah's holy spirit!".....My 8 year older brother would cry his eyes out, get on his knees and cry, "I LOST IT. I LOST IT!" (Funny experience: My unbelieving dad saw my brother doing this, got on his knees and was looking under the bed asking my brother what he lost so he could help him find it)......Meanwhile, when my mom tried that tactic with me, I'd blow it off and say, "Don't worry. I'll get it back later".....No guilt, I guess.

• Scully
    Scully
    Meanwhile, when my mom tried that tactic with me, I'd blow it off and say, "Don't worry. I'll get it back later".....No guilt, I guess.

or maybe you're just a psychopath.... and I mean that in the nicest possible way...

• katiekitten
    katiekitten

Screw around like a jack rabbit. That way you have so many things to feel guilty about you just dont know where to start. So you have to let it go.

Its my own patented guilt aversion therapy!

• Tyrone van leyen
    Tyrone van leyen

Don't get me wrong Minimus I think your all right. But have you ever thought you were chosen at such an early age to be preped for Judicial Comittees because of that very trait that the elders recognized in you? Somewhere along the line you developed a conscience. Thats no good for Jcs. I think it just so happens, that you are able to take yourself out of situations, and analyse what is happening and then put it in the past.

I was riddled with guilt for years. I still am. My family never lets anything die and my identity is tied up in it. This board is certainly helping me. Knowledge of yourself and phycholgy helps as well.

When shame is made into a public gesture regarding sexual matters, it is burned into your consciousness, whether you like it or not. Then when your whole family are puritans, it alsmost makes you feel satanic, when in fact I'm perfectly normal, and it is the lot of them, with the problem.

Getting affirmation from people who care about you is very important. Finding a balance without going off the deep end is difficult.

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

Leaving was like changing jobs - I left a publishing company, not a religion. There was nothing to feel guilty about.

• minimus
    minimus

Why let "puritans" judge you? OK, if they're going to judge you, just the same, you might as well accept them as radical judgemental persons. So who cares what they think??

• theinfamousone
    theinfamousone

sometimes we all feel guilty.... i dont think this is necessarily an exclusively Jehovah's Witness trait... guilt is a human trait... but anyways, how do i get rid of it, I run away!! lol, i mean honestly we all screw up... if you think of it as a learning experience, well things end up ok!

the infamous one

• willyloman
    willyloman
    Leaving was like changing jobs

I feel that way, too, which still surprises me a little. I think it was because I was totally involved. It was like working in a restaurant. I saw not only the lovely dining room but also the filthy kitchen. I won't eat there again.

• minimus
    minimus

The infamous one, I guess I never wanna learn then.

• dawg
    dawg

Me neither mini, I'm pissed not guilt ridden. Honestly, I have no guilt whatsoever.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit