How much control does the WTS really have?

by dozy 20 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• dozy
    dozy

A theme regularly running through ex-JW / apostate posts is their conviction that the worship of Jws is at best of a high control basis or at worst exhibits cult-like tendencies , so they often delight in the “freedom” that they now enjoy.

But in reality , how much “control” is exhibited on the average witness? To take one example , at least 40K are dfd in an average year , and one would assume 3 - 5X this figure are reproved privately or publicly. That means that over a 10 year period 20% - 25% of Jws are seriously flouting the strongest moral code of Jws , usually for “immorality” , emphasized in WT after WT , meeting after meeting. For a supposedly high-control organisation , that is a seriously high rate of dissent.

Ex-Jws often point to WT articles or quote public talks which state strict and often silly restrictions , non or dubiously-biblical in many cases. I’ve even highlighted some of these myself , in the past. But how much notice is really taken by the average JW? Other than a hard-core 20% (which you would get in any organisation) , I just don’t see the average JW paying much attention , and they often seem happy to duck and dive and rationalise away any issue that they don’t agree with.

One specific aspect of Jws is that the GB try to exhibit control via the one way media of magazines and talks and are loath to devolve any power to branches or congregations. The nature of this means of communication is that it is one way - the JW can choose not to read the magazines (which many do) or ignore counsel given in talks (or even not bother to turn up). Frustrated by the apparent lack of conformity , the GB feel the need to “turn up the voIume” with increasingly shrill demands - blissfully ignored by the R & F. To apply to a congregation setting . the classic illustration is the local needs talk on encouraging meeting attendance given to the 70% regular attenders - the 30% who the counsel is targeted at haven’t attended and don’t hear it. No matter how loud or blunt the message is , the hapless elder is merely preaching to the converted.

The two primary control aspects have also been diluted in recent times. The ban on blood transfusions has largely lost any relevance due to the WTS policy of gradually allowing all blood fractions and medical advances that obviate the need for transfusions. And the shunning of DF ones is often ignored , with the get-out clauses of “business communication” and family members often liberally applied.

The real control victims (if that term is advisable) are the hard core 20%. These are the ones learn foreign languages , actively pioneer , give up parenthood , often have the most mind numbing of secular jobs or toil away in Bethel for years. They apply WTS counsel to the smallest level , even down to the smallest trivial degree , often to their own disadvantage. Sadly they take on board counsel that isn’t really directed at them.

• done4good
    done4good
    The real control victims (if that term is advisable) are the hard core 20%. These are the ones learn foreign languages , actively pioneer , give up parenthood , often have the most mind numbing of secular jobs or toil away in Bethel for years. They apply WTS counsel to the smallest level , even down to the smallest trivial degree , often to their own disadvantage. Sadly they take on board counsel that isn’t really directed at them

See your other comment below:

Ex-Jws often point to WT articles or quote public talks which state strict and often silly restrictions , non or dubiously-biblical in many cases. I’ve even highlighted some of these myself , in the past. But how much notice is really taken by the average JW? Other than a hard-core 20% (which you would get in any organisation) , I just don’t see the average JW paying much attention , and they often seem happy to duck and dive and rationalise away any issue that they don’t agree with.

This is precisely why the "real" mind control victims are the "average" jw. Despite the fact that they CAN ignore the counsel given off the platform, they still believe lock, stock, and barrel. If that isn't mind control, I don't know what is.

j

• TopHat
    TopHat

The other 80% support the WTS will donations...and that is really all the WTS desire. They are happy with the 20% of faithful drones.

• greendawn
    greendawn

There is a rigorous control on their members lives given the many forbidden things, they may well flout many of them in secret but if they are found out they will be punished which means they don't really feel free. Also think about the JW reactions to a non conforming member: why don't you attend meetings or go out preaching or associate with worldly persons or have a beard, don't dress up formally at the meetings etc

And finally the control is also mental that's why so many ex JWs find it hard to adjust to life after leaving the JWs.

• blondie
    blondie

http://www.freedomofmind.com/resourcecenter/articles/BITE.htm

Another JWDr broke this down with quotes from the WT publications.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/12/112308/1.ashx

Destructive mind control can be understood in terms of four basic components, which form the acronym BITE:

I.

Behavior Control

II.

Information Control

III.

Thought Control

IV.

Emotional Control

It is important to understand that destructive mind control can be determined when the overall effect of these four components promotes dependency and obedience to some leader or cause. It is not necessary for every single item on the list to be present. Mind controlled cult members can live in their own apartments, have nine-to-five jobs, be married with children, and still be unable to think for themselves and act independently.

I. Behavior Control

1. Regulation of individual's physical reality

a. Where, how and with whom the member lives and associates with
    b. What clothes, colors, hairstyles the person wears
    c. What food the person eats, drinks, adopts, and rejects
    d. How much sleep the person is able to have
    e. Financial dependencef. Little or no time spent on leisure, entertainment, vacations

2. Major time commitment required for indoctrination sessions and group rituals

3. Need to ask permission for major decisions

4. Need to report thoughts, feelings and activities to superiors

5. Rewards and punishments (behavior modification techniques- positive and negative).

6. Individualism discouraged; group think prevails

7. Rigid rules and regulations

8. Need for obedience and dependency

II. Information Control

1. Use of deception

a. Deliberately holding back information
    b. Distorting information to make it acceptable
    c. Outright lying

2. Access to non-cult sources of information minimized or discouraged

a. Books, articles, newspapers, magazines, TV, radio
    b. Critical information
    c. Former members
    d. Keep members so busy they don't have time to think

3. Compartmentalization of information; Outsider vs. Insider doctrines

a. Information is not freely accessible
    b. Information varies at different levels and missions within pyramid
    c. Leadership decides who "needs to know" what

4. Spying on other members is encouraged

a. Pairing up with "buddy" system to monitor and control
    b. Reporting deviant thoughts, feelings, and actions to leadership

5. Extensive use of cult generated information and propaganda

a. Newsletters, magazines, journals, audio tapes, videotapes, etc.
    b. Misquotations, statements taken out of context from non-cult sources

6. Unethical use of confession

a. Information about "sins" used to abolish identity boundaries
    b. Past "sins" used to manipulate and control; no forgiveness or absolution

III. Thought Control

1. Need to internalize the group's doctrine as "Truth"

a. Map = Reality
    b. Black and White thinking
    c. Good vs. evil
    d. Us vs. them (inside vs. outside)

2. Adopt "loaded" language (characterized by "thought-terminating clichés"). Words are the tools we use to think with. These "special" words constrict rather than expand understanding. They function to reduce complexities of experience into trite, platitudinous "buzz words".

3. Only "good" and "proper" thoughts are encouraged.

4. Thought-stopping techniques (to shut down "reality testing" by stopping "negative" thoughts and allowing only "good" thoughts); rejection of rational analysis, critical thinking, constructive criticism.

a. Denial, rationalization, justification, wishful thinking
    b. Chanting
    c. Meditatingd. Praying
    e. Speaking in "tongues"
    f. Singing or humming

5. No critical questions about leader, doctrine, or policy seen as legitimate

6. No alternative belief systems viewed as legitimate, good, or useful

IV. Emotional Control

1. Manipulate and narrow the range of a person's feelings.

2. Make the person feel like if there are ever any problems it is always their fault, never the leader's or the group's.

3. Excessive use of guilt

a. Identity guilt

1. Who you are (not living up to your potential)
    2. Your family
    3. Your past
    4. Your affiliations
    5. Your thoughts, feelings, actions

b. Social guilt
    c. Historical guilt

4. Excessive use of fear

a. Fear of thinking independently
    b. Fear of the "outside" world
    c. Fear of enemies
    d. Fear of losing one's "salvation"
    e. Fear of leaving the group or being shunned by group
    f. Fear of disapproval

5. Extremes of emotional highs and lows.

6. Ritual and often public confession of "sins".

7. Phobia indoctrination : programming of irrational fears of ever leaving the group or even questioning the leader's authority. The person under mind control cannot visualize a positive, fulfilled future without being in the group.

a. No happiness or fulfillment "outside"of the group
    b. Terrible consequences will take place if you leave: "hell"; "demon possession"; "incurable diseases"; "accidents"; "suicide"; "insanity"; "10,000 reincarnations"; etc.
    c. Shunning of leave takers. Fear of being rejected by friends, peers, and family.
    d. Never a legitimate reason to leave. From the group's perspective, people who leave are: "weak;" "undisciplined;" "unspiritual;" "worldly;" "brainwashed by family, counselors;" seduced by money, sex, rock and roll.

• streets76
    streets76

The rank and file eventually lose the DESIRE to think. It doesn't even occur to them as an option.

• streets76
    streets76

A JW friend of mine recently boasted that he's been a studier of the Bible for more than 30 years. I called him on it, pointing out that reading WT literature can in no way be confused with legitimate Bible study. He couldn't (or wouldn't) say which gospel is considered by scholars to be the first one written. He couldn't (or wouldn't) say which Pauline letter is considered by scholars to be the very first Christian document. He finally admitted that he was, at best, a casual Bible reader. The sad thing is, this admission didn't seem to bother him. He's based his entire life on rigorous Bible study casual Bible reading and WT literature (exclusively), and it doesn't seem to bother him.

• B_Deserter
    B_Deserter

Some ways I've noticed how the society controls its members.

1. Telling you what you think/how you feel. Open up any Watchtower and see how many statements like "As Christians, we are a happy people" are printed. In the few seconds it takes you to read that sentence, a suggestion is implanted into your subconscious mind.

2. Repetition for emphasis. Classic example: 1 Corinthians 15:33. How many of you still remember this scripture by heart? Witnesses are repeatedly warned about bad association, something the passage doesn't define, but the Society does, as anyone outside of its influence.

3. Removal of all life prospects outside the organization. Using the above tactic, they strongly discourage all relationships in "the world." They tell you that everyone in the world is immoral. That the only true friends you'll ever find are exclusively within the organization. They tell you that the world will just "use you and spit you out when it's done." It's harder to leave if by doing so you lose all your friends and family. By discouraging a secular education, they not only ruin your chances of employment and self-reliance. In short, many who leave the org are literally entering the real world as emotionally and functionally stunted children.

4. Usage of Orwellian tactics in shaping the moral code by reassigning virtues like independent thought as vice. "War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery"

I'm sure there's more, but I am tired.

• Vernon Williams
    Vernon Williams

Here is a bit of a naughty comment: I have told it to a few JWs that have talked to me: forgive the graphic nature of the comment, please.

I told them the Elders, basically, "have you by the balls" and are threaterning to rip them out (by destroying your life) if you resist the GB.

My take was this: Go ahead and yank!!

I would rather be a free steer than a chained bull....but that is just me.

Yours on a free range and feeding well, (and, surprisingly, balls bigger than ever....)

V

• Vernon Williams
    Vernon Williams

Here is a bit of a naughty comment: I have told it to a few JWs that have talked to me: forgive the graphic nature of the comment, please.

I told them the Elders, basically, "have you by the balls" and are threaterning to rip them out (by destroying your life) if you resist the GB.

My take was this: Go ahead and yank!!

I would rather be a free steer than a chained bull....but that is just me.

Yours on a free range and feeding well, (and, surprisingly, balls bigger than ever....)

V

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit