What does the term "borg" mean?

by mtsgrad 18 Replies latest jw friends

• mtsgrad
    mtsgrad

What does the term "borg" mean? I have heard it so many times here!

mtsgrad

• R.F.
    R.F.

I believe it's BrooklynOrganization. Someone correct me if wrong.

• jelcat8224
    jelcat8224

in star trek, I believe, there was a group of aliens who lived on the BORG. It was a ship, or planet, or something, in which you would basically lose all individual thinking and would become totally mindless drones.

That is the context I always understood it in. Very applicable!!

jelcat

• Numinous
    Numinous

Those who came into contact with the Borg and had no defense were sucked in and eventually "assimulated". The perfect nickname.

• mtsgrad
    mtsgrad

Thanks guys/galls.

• PrimateDave
    PrimateDave

From the Wikipedia:

The Borg are a fictional race of cyborgs in the Star Trek universe, first introduced in the Star Trek: The Next Generation TV series. They are characterized by relentless pursuit of targets for assimilation, their collective consciousness that enables rapid adaptability to almost any defense, and the ability to continue functioning properly despite seemingly devastating blows. They have become a powerful symbol in popular culture for any juggernaut against whom "resistance is futile."

Since Witnesses are fond of calling themselves the "Organization", its shortened form being "Org", some of us like to jokingly refer to them as if they were like the Borg in the Star Trek TV series. At least that's my take on it.

Dave

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

Awe newbie! LOL Welcome to JWD and here is a link which may help you understand some of the terms used on JWD. I have no way to explain some of the members.....sigh. Bwhahhaaaaaa!

Apostate terminology

• LtCmd.Lore
    LtCmd.Lore

We call the JWs the Borg because they act just like them.

The Borg are a group of mindless drones.

The JWs are a group of mindless drones

The Borg spend ALL their time looking for more people to assimilate/convert.

The JWs spend ALL their time looking for more people to assimilate/convert.

The Borg all think the same things at the same time, and are incapable of independant thought.

The JWs all think the same things at the same time, and are incapable of independant thought.

Most Borg are incapable of even surviving if they are cut off from the group.

Most JWs are incapable of even surviving if they are cut off from the group.

The Borg are incapable of reasoning, they think they know what's best... so they will talk to you for a while, but once you stop agreeing with them, they just start repeating their speech.

The JWs are incapable of reasoning, they think they know what's best... so they will talk to you for a while, but once you stop agreeing with them, they just start repeating their speech.

The Borg think that everyone who doesn't convert must die.

The JWs think that everyone who doesn't convert must die.

The Borg wear tottaly retarted and uncomfortable outfits no matter what weather they are in.

The JWs wear tottaly retarted and uncomfortable outfits no matter what weather they are in.

The list goes on and on... But you get the idea.

Lore

• SacrificialLoon
    SacrificialLoon

"Borg? Sounds Swedish."

50 points if you can figure out that quote.

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

There's a picture of the WT Borg Cube somewhere...if you can't find it, I've got the file.

Lore, great comparisons!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit