Buy My Heart at Wounded Knee

by Sasha 14 Replies latest jw friends

• Sasha
    Sasha

Well, anyone see it...or read it in school. Americans...they Love to try and make everyone like themselves. I WILL expound on this after I see some of you're opinions.

• Mum
    Mum

I read Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee as part of a religion class I took, actually as a supplement to Black Elk Speaks. We studied Shakers, American Indians, and Buddhists in this survey course. Black Elk's book was fascinating. I also read The Sixth Grandfather, another book about Black Elk. The Lakota/Dakota Sioux, especially Crazy Horse and Sitting Bull, gave the migrants crossing the plains the most difficulty of all the tribes. The settlers did not see themselves as aliens, but the natives as aliens. Now the descendants of the same settlers see people from other countries as aliens and ourselves as natives of this land. It seems to me that the beliefs in manifest destiny and white supremacy are still with a lot of people.

Regards,

SandraC

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

Do you mean "Bury my Heart at Wounded Knee"?

In these times of international conflict the tragic treatment of the native American population should be a cautionary tale of what can happen when the self righteous, the culturally narrow, the ambitious, and the greedy use the military to achieve their own agenda.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Looking forword to your to your future comments. You might get some flack, but don't let that stop you, many rednecks may resent the truth, as apposed to thier lily white view of the american governmental behaivor.

http://www.enotes.com/bury-heart/

Dee Brown's Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee was first published in the United States in 1970. This landmark book—which incorporated a number of eyewitness accounts and official records—offered a scathing indictment of the U.S. politicians, soldiers, and citizens who colonized the American West. Focusing mainly on the thirty-year span from 1860 to 1890, the book was the first account of the time period told from the Native-American point of view. It demonstrated that whites instigated the great majority of the conflicts between Native Americans and themselves. Brown began searching for the facts about Native Americans after he met several as a child and had a hard time believing the myths about their savagery that were popular among white people. Brown published his book a century after the events took place, but it was a timely publication, since many U.S. citizens were already feeling guilty about their country's involvement in the Vietnam War. Brown's book depicted, in detail, the U.S. government's attempt to acquire Native Americans' land by using a mix of threats, deception, and murder. In addition, the book showed the attempts to crush Native-American beliefs and practices. These acts were justified by the theory of Manifest Destiny, which stated that European descendents acting for the U.S. government had a God-given right to take land from the Native Americans. Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee is Brown's best-known work and has since overshadowed all of his other books.

• misanthropic
    misanthropic
    Do you mean "Bury my Heart at Wounded Knee"?

Yes, I think that was just a typo.

I haven't read the book but I just caught the HBO special, some very good points made already.

You might get some flack, but don't let that stop you, many rednecks may resent the truth, as apposed to thier lily white view of the american governmental behaivor.

No doubt you'll definitely be sure to get some flack, people don't like to hear the reality of things. And I think Jaguar made a very valid point:

In these times of international conflict the tragic treatment of the native American population should be a cautionary tale of what can happen when the self righteous, the culturally narrow, the ambitious, and the greedy use the military to achieve their own agenda.
  • Madame Quixote
    Madame Quixote

The story of native Americans' treatment by the US govt. is a disgrace to our country, just as slavery has been, and the legacy of both continues to be. But, it's not the first such disgrace in history, nor the last. Oh why, oh why must these cycles of genocidal destruction keep repeating again and again, the world over? So much has been lost . . . so much lost . . .

A very nice book I remember reading and doing essays on in an English class years ago was called, Touch The Earth. Don't remember the author. Maybe someday I'll read Bury My Heart At Wounded Knee, but I don't like to cry every day. I got rid of my t.v. about a year or so ago; have been reading a lot lately, but mostly science, and not much history; history is extremely depressing, don't you think?

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

.................this is worth sharing.......................

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUDIoN-_Hxs

• Madame Quixote
    Madame Quixote
    . . . the tragic treatment of the native American population should be a cautionary tale of what can happen when the self righteous, the culturally narrow, the ambitious, and the greedy use the military to achieve their own agenda.

The agenda of the 3 G's: god, gold, and glory, as one of my history teachers said. I'm sure someone else said it before him. Ah! The unflattering legacy of colonialism: pestilence, genocide, slavery, rape. It really is ironic how people seeking freedom of religion and justice and all that shit only wanted it for certain people and for certain religions. Thankfully, the moral zeitgeist is changing a bit, but it seems the backlash against it is still enormously powerful . . .

• crashfire451
    crashfire451

Looking forword to your to your future comments. You might get some flack, but don't let that stop you, many rednecks may resent the truth, as apposed to thier lily white view of the american governmental behaivor.

Jumping the gun, aren't we?

-Texas Redneck Marine happily married to a beautiful woman of the Alabama-Coushatta tribe.

• Warlock
    Warlock

WTF?

Warlock

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit