Keeping donations.

by LtCmd.Lore 9 Replies latest jw friends

• LtCmd.Lore
    LtCmd.Lore

Okay, ever since I learned the truth about the org I stopped asking householders for donations. I don't want them to support the worldwide work, or waste their money.

BUT, I was just wondering what the legal ramifications would be of asking for donations... and keeping them for myself.

I realise that I would have to change what I say... I wouldn't say: "If you'd like to make a small donation to the worldwide work I'd be happy to accept it."

Because that would be illegal, like keeping charity money or something.

I'd have to say something like: "If you'd like to make a contribution to cover the expenses, I'd be happy to accept it." (You know, expenses like the gas I use to get there, or my lunch. Or the time that I could be spending elsewhere at a REAL job...)

Is THAT legal? What do you think?

Lore

• Adolfius
    Adolfius

I'm not sure about how legal it is, but who's ever going to know? I used to keep some of the money as a young teenager and I've never been arrested (not for that anyway ) and nothing has come out of the sky and struck me down as punshment. If I was still doing the "good work" I'd definitely be keeping the money for myself. Like you said, it's not profit, just covering your expenses.

• Paralipomenon
    Paralipomenon

Officially, I'd say it would be classified as stealing. Would you ever find someone that would enforce it? Unlikely.

On the moral front, I'd say turn it in. The householder gave the donation to the cult because they feel it is worth the contribution. You could justify why they don't, or why you should keep it. The WTS calls it's justifications: "Theocratic Warfare". If you justify your own actions, and condemn the WTS, wouldn't that make you a hypocrite?

You're only ever accountable to yourself, it's just a question of where your personal bar for accountability is set.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

As much as I hate seeing money go to the Borg, the ethical thing to do is:

1.) Give all donated money from householders to the contribution box, but try to discourage
    the giving of it when possible. Don't give any of your own money to the Borg. OR

2.) Stop going in field service. Just turn in a report. There's no money to collect.

• blondie
    blondie

I never asked for any money and never donated any after 1990. Most JWs were reluctant to spew out the "donation" spiel. People never got the idea that the literature was "without cost" but we were asking them for money.

If you have to ask, just donate to some organization at school or work. They are always doing food drives and school supplies where I work.

*** km 5/90 p. 7 par. 2 Use Our Literature Wisely ***

At the end of February 1990, it was explained that magazines and literature will be provided to publishers and to the interested public on a complete donation basis, that is, without asking or suggesting that a specific contribution be made as a precondition to receiving an item. When literature is offered, voluntary donations will be accepted to support the worldwide work of publishing the good news. We have faith that Jehovah will bless this arrangement.
    In some cases, the subject of donations for our worldwide work may be awkward to discuss. For example, an interested householder may ask: "Are you giving it away?" We might reply: "If you want to read the publication and would like to have it, yes, it’s yours. I would like to stop by next week to discuss what we have talked about and to tell you more about our worldwide work." On subsequent visits the householder may be informed as to how our work is financed.
    Or the householder may immediately accept the literature and reply, "Thank you." You could respond by saying: "You are welcome. I know you will enjoy it. Many wonder how this work is financed, since we do it worldwide. Many who accept our publications have expressed appreciation for what they will learn and have volunteered a small donation to make further distribution possible. If people do that, we are pleased to accept it."

I never heard the rank and file say this more than once or twice and stop. It's more than a JW says at the door about the particular publication!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*** km 3/91 p. 2 Meetings to Help Us Make Disciples ***

Publisher says: "I would be happy to leave the magazine with you so that you could enjoy reading this article as well as all the others in the magazine." Householder asks: "How much is it?" Publisher replies: "If you will read it, there is no charge. You can see here on the publishers’ page that this magazine is part of a worldwide Bible educational work and is supported by voluntary donations. [Refer to statement on page 4 of Awake! and in lower right-hand column of page 2 of TheWatchtower.] I am just one of more than four million Jehovah’s Witnesses who have volunteered their time and resources to accomplish this vital work in over two hundred lands. If others wish to make a small donation toward the work, they are welcome to do so." Householder donates and publisher puts money in envelope he carries for that purpose. He expresses appreciation for donation offered and says he will stop by with next issues of the magazines.
  • LtCmd.Lore
    LtCmd.Lore
    If I was still doing the "good work" I'd definitely be keeping the money for myself. Like you said, it's not profit, just covering your expenses.

You're absolutely right!

You're only ever accountable to yourself, it's just a question of where your personal bar for accountability is set.

And you're right!

the ethical thing to do is:

1.) Give all donated money from householders to the contribution box, but try to discourage
    the giving of it when possible. Don't give any of your own money to the Borg.

Crap! You're right too.

Okay, I guess I'll just keep doing what I've been doing and simply not ask for donations... (But if they happen to give me some anyways, I'm taking my 50%... after all, I am PART OF the worldwide work, ain't I?.)

Lore

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

It would be awesome if you could tell them to hang on to it, and give it to the next homeless person they see. Or donate it to a local food bank. It might be a hard position to justify to whoever you're in service with though. ;-)

Sorry you have to even do that stuff!

Dave

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I think Blondie's quotes could be your answer.

If you want to read the publication and would like to have it, yes, it’s yours.
    If you will read it, there is no charge.

Carry the printout of the km (km 5/90 p. 7 par. 2 Use Our Literature Wisely) and if you are working
    with a partner that questions why you didn't push for a donation (but figure the odds, they will be just
    thrilled that someone took the rubbish), then quote:

On subsequent visits the householder may be informed as to how our work is financed.

Don't try too hard on subsequent visits, or take a different publisher who doesn't know.

• sosad
    sosad

in Canada door to door charity drives are quite common- the volunteer wears (or at the very least has) an I.D. badge and a receipt is always written out for any donation - no matter the size the donation amount must be noted.

Does anyone have any idea how dubs get away with not giving receipts, or even being prepared for the possibility of being asked? All donations to non profit groups are tax deductable - but only with the receipt. The only other way would be like the Girl Guides who SELL cookies for a donation for their "world wide work" - very similiar to the JW at your door offering Free but not so free literature.

Unless I have been faded for so long that they actually DO give out receipts.

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

Okay, ever since I learned the truth about the org I stopped asking householders for donations. I don't want them to support the worldwide work, or waste their money.

If thats the way you feel you shouldnt even be bothering these poor people on Saturday morning. Karmas going to bite your ass.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit