So sick to death of the whole 'find Maddie' campaign - now includes Pope

by needproof 33 Replies latest jw friends

• needproof
    needproof

I am sure most of you are now aware of the missing British girl Madeleine McCann, who was abducted from Portugal a few weeks ago.

The media is making a massive thing about this, and I am just wondering why. They say 70,000 kids go missing each year in the UK alone - but this case seems to be unique in that it is so widely reported. Top "Celebs" have put up money for a reward. There is something very sinister about this case.

Some ignorant idiot on the radio this morning said that 'he has never witnessed anybody so obsessed with trying to find their children'. I hope he tells that to the mother of Ben Needham, who went missing 17 years ago in Greece and whose mother still walks around that island hoping to find him. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disappearance_of_Ben_Needham

Dont get me wrong, I hope they find the little girl, and I am all for the media getting this message out. But I smell something very fishy about the whole thing as to why this story has got such widespread reporting when so many kids go missing all the time.

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

I feel so bad for that girl. I can't believe some parents think it's okay to selfishly leave their children home or in a hotel ALONE, let alone in another country.

Imagine if so much attention was put toward all missing children. I don't know why they are making a big deal out of it here, when I never see the pictures of the children whom I get Amber Alert emails for, from my very own state at that. That's the problem. Hopefully, Portugal is smothered with this much needed attention!

• needproof
    needproof

Hi lonely sheep, I have just been searching through numerous websites concerning missing children. Some kids have been missing for years, the parents have never given up hope, I feel so sad for them all - but I cant remember any media coverage like this

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

I have to concur that the media treatment of this case has got out of hand. The hysteria is close to reaching Princess Di levels.

A child dies of starvation every three seconds. The millions put up in reward money for Madeleine could be more efficiently spent on saving their lives. But we humans are irrational beings. This case resonates with people. A pretty child gets snatched from a hotel room and vanishes. We get to see the parents' anguish. We see photos of the child. We see where they were staying. We can all relate to their situation, even if we question their decision to leave their children unattended. They are like us, they speak English and go on holiday to Portugal and go out for dinner. If it happened to them, it could happen to us. That's why these cases make better news than another 700,000* children starving to death. Those children are alien to us, they live in mud huts far away.

The sad fact is that Madeleine is probably dead. All the t-shirts and giant inflatable posters and celebrity pleas won't change that. I do worry though, that they may have forced her abductor to abandon plans to keep her alive, as the risk of being seen with her is now too great.

Having said all that, I fervently hope that she turns up alive and well and that her abductor is caught. I simply think it may be time to be more rational about it.

----
    *the approximate number of children who have died of starvation since Madeleine's abduction

• Gregor
    Gregor

What do you mean by "fishy"? Do you think the parents are involved?

• Mary
    Mary
    The media is making a massive thing about this, and I am just wondering why. They say 70,000 kids go missing each year in the UK alone - but this case seems to be unique in that it is so widely reported. Top "Celebs" have put up money for a reward. There is something very sinister about this case.

My personal opinion is that there's been so much hype about this particular case simply because the parents are wealthy. It's an unfortunate part of human nature to focus more attention on the rich and affluent than the poor and destitute. This isn't a recent phenomenon either. In the early 1930s, everyone read about the kidnapping of the Lindbergh baby and it made headlines everywhere. Yet at the same time, there were probably countless other kidnappings that never made the papers.

I agree with Funky Derek though: as sad as it may be, this little girl is probably already dead. While I feel really bad for the parents, this is a wake up call for everyone: Don't leave your kids alone in a hotel room.

• needproof
    needproof

When the Pope gets involved, there is always something fishy

• core
    core

My personal opinion is that there's been so much hype about this particular case simply because the parents are wealthy.

Have to agree with that - if it was a single parent mother on social security the press would have vilified her.

I am now sick and tired of hearing about children selling their toys so Maddie can be found etc etc and also of the sight of the parents trotting about for the cameras , going to Mass, walking on beach, swimming etc etc- also appalling that in UK the Portuguese Police system castigated - if u go on holiday to any country the law and its systems are what u will get -

Read that parents admit to being "naive" in leaving the children alone - "naive" is not the word I would use - holiday resort restaurants cater for families - what if one of the younger twins had woken - toddled off and fallen into a swimming pool?

• needproof
    needproof

Naive is not a word I would use either - excuse my language but I would call it fucking stupidity. Again, I stress, these people are perfect examples of the 'congratulations, you have successfully passed your exams - here is your square mortarboard which acts as a symbol that you are now devoid of all common sense' club.

• ninja
    ninja

hey Manly P Hall...you visit some of the same websites as do I.....the entered apprentninj

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit