Similarities Between The Watchtower And The Military?

by The wanderer 13 Replies latest jw friends

• The wanderer
    The wanderer

Similarities Between The Watchtower And The Military?

The commander who was in charge, raised his weapon and ordered the solider
    to “ kill all civilians ” and when the solider questioned his commander and refused
    the order to “kill all civilians” his commander killed him.

This movie scene made me think whether the military has some parallels to the Watchtower Society.

Command, Control , Conform

Anyone who associated with Jehovah’s Witnesses would know there is a
    “chain of command” within the religion. Rules are mandated and conformity
    without question is expected.

The higher up “the corporate” ladder an individual climbs, more rules are applied.
    In the military conformity without question is the “order of the day” however,
    it carries a different purpose.

Explain: Could there be similarities between the military and the Watchtower Society’s control techniques?

Respectfully,

The Wanderer

• Adolfius
    Adolfius

Yes there is absolutely similarities between the two. In fact there are similarities with every organisation or society and the military. It's just discipline and control.

Every single business, government or even childrens club has the same thing...... a set of rules that you have to adhere to or face consequences or punishment. It's the only way an organised, structured collective can operate.

A country has laws and rules; you either obey them and stick to them or you get a fine or go to prison.

A business has the same things; a code of conduct, dress rules, acceptible behaviour in the office etc. If you break the rules you get fired.

A childs football club has rules. If you go and decide to start playing tennis, you get kicked out of the club and told to join another one instead.

It's very easy to look at the military or the JWs and other cults as being very totalitarian or different in their approach to control, but they actually just use the same techniques as every other group on the planet. If you have a group of people who are going to live, work or co-exist together in any way, you have to have rules and some incentive/punishment to make people stick to the rules. This applies to society in general as much as it does to the witlesses or military. Without this control you'd be left with anarchy. I don't think it's a coincidence that all human cultures (large or small) as well as some animals that live in groups, have adopted a hierarchy system with "ranks" and rules.

Of course I'm not saying the rules and punishments the JWs use are good, normal or acceptible, but they're not doing anything different to anyone else in terms of their tactics.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

We used to joke about this when I was in Bethel because the Australian Bethel is across the road from a Military Barracks.

The main difference was that they were getting sex and we weren't.

• blondie
    blondie

Having grown up in a military as well as a JW family, I can tell you that only a smaller percentage of JWs would be obedient to the point of killing others directly. They might allow them to die without a blood transfusion which is no small thing.

As far as being obedient to all things, a portion of JWs might do that. Too many though are following men and so know they can hide what they do from men. God either is not seeing them or indirectly they indicate that God does not exist to them really.

The military breaks you down and builds you up in their image. The WTS does try to do that with its members. But recent WT articles and drama themes indicate that their grip on the rank and file is slipping.

Blondie

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

What about the theme of being in battle? The Watchtower seems to think we are at war with the Devil. They have the items that we are supposed to wield: shields of faith, the "sword" which is the Watchtower material with the NWT of the Bible, and the like. This is very similar to the military, and indeed justifies the ridiculous rules and procedures that they follow.

Yes, I have some bad news for the Watchtower. I have switched to Satan's side and will now be exposing the lies and poorly integrated rules and experiences that the Watchtower Society is famous for. I will not recommend joining the Society. And, if you are already in, I highly recommend leaving before things get even tougher. Remember, like the generals that tighten things up when they are losing the war, the Watchtower is going to clamp down. They are losing the war, and are making one last ditch effort to start winning once again.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

The organization fashions itself after the military.

I was at Bethel long enough to get that.

• greendawn
    greendawn

They seek to rigorously control the lives of their members they rule them with an iron hand in a totally inflexible way and have all power centralised in a small inner circle of rulers who decide everything from the smallest detail upwards ideology and administation. A JW will be criticised for not attending meetings or preaching ie selling the org's commercial products or for committing one of a myriad silly minor "transgressions".

They have a secret agenda behind their manifest one but they are very smart at concealing it by twisting and misapplying biblical verses.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

The elders in a congregation, like high ranking enlisted men, only want you to perform
    your duty properly. They don't have time for you to mess up. Clean the hall, comment
    at the meetings, turn in field service reports, be present for all the meetings. When
    you have problems, their solution is to get back into your routine.

As long as you are a useful soldier, you are praised. If you are barely useful, you are
    barely noticed.

The lowest officers (C.O. and D.O.) might know who you are, but they are there to
    inspect, and either praise your good job by eating meals with you (huge privilege to
    share a meal with them) or listen to your problem, so they can assign the elders to
    take care of it in their absence.

The upper officers are virtually unreachable. Good or bad soldiers don't want to spend
    much time in their presence. Too lofty. The lower officers and high enlisted men spend
    much time kissing their boots.

The organization thinks it should totally regiment your life. They will tell you to wear your
    "uniform" and not to bother with outside sources of intelligence. They will schedule your
    life and tell you who to associate with. If you were at their HQ, they would micro-manage
    your schedule down to what minute you should be eating.

The biggest (IMO) clear comparison is the fact that they will throw you to the wolves if you
    get in trouble. Something happens to you in field service- that member wasn't following
    our instructions. You get in trouble for conduct- he is a "weak" member, who was disfellow-
    shipped for that incident. We have no knowledge of his history.
    Even in the lawsuits over child-molestation mishandling- if they could have left local elders
    on their own to deal with this, they probably would have let them hang, denying all knowledge
    of their mishandling. The elders would be expected to keep their mouths shut for the good
    of the corporation.

• The wanderer
    The wanderer

Depending on your perspective, because some of us feel that that Watchtower
    has some similarities with the military is that a good or bad thing?

Respectfully,

The Wanderer

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Uhhhhh, bad! Really bad!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit