Assembly Headache

by WTWizard 26 Replies latest jw experiences

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Have you ever noticed that at the end of the a$$emblies, you always seem to have a headache? And this is above and beyond the one that you might get during a stressful day at work. People seem to get them during the assemblies. I used to get them: I could count on having one after the program, especially after the first day.

Why might this be? For one thing, the programs are boring and stupid as s***. They are sleep-inducing, and yet you are supposed to stay awake during the whole thing (if I sleep through the afternoon session, it seems to reduce the headache somewhat). That "music" is enough to induce a nasty headache as well. No, aspirin does nothing for a headache, especially when you could avoid it in the first place by not going.

But the program is only part of the problem. You see, those buildings are heated and cooled with forced air through metal ductworks, and there is never any water falling through the air. The air going through the ductworks strips it of electrons, positively charging it. And this positively charged air acts as a Lewis acid (for those who flunked chemistry, a Lewis acid is a substance that donates protons, which are hydrogen ions that make something acidic). And this makes the body react by getting grouchy. You might have noticed that children are affected in that it makes sitting still more difficult (and this in turn leads to unnecessary spankings and beatings). Adults react by getting that headache. Notice that positive ions are generated by forced heated or cooled air passing through metal ductworks, while negative ions are produced when drops of water fall through the air or when live plants are growing. I have yet to see enough live plants to have this effect.

Besides the electrical charge, there is the pollution. These a$$embly hells are never ventilated. The carpet creates gases (have you noticed that new-carpet smell?). If these gases are trapped for substantial amounts of time and you are breathing them in all day, you can get a headache. Added to this is the formaldehyde outgassing from particle board and plywood. Any paint, varnish, cleaning solvents, glue fumes, and carpet fumes tend to accumulate. A large stadium has these problems to a lesser extent since they are usually better ventilated and frequently used for worldly events.

Lighting is usually ample, though at large auditoriums the upper tiers are marginal. Open stadiums have good lighting, but it can get very hot in summer and the sun is strongest. (In fact, there can be too much light for comfort when reading the Bible in bright sunlight all day. Fluorescent lighting tends to flicker at 60 Hz (notice that a typical CRT computer screen also emits the same UV light and flicker). At work, this is not usually enough to induce a headache unless you are under the glare of such a light all day. However, reading the Bible and Craptower publications all day in this light can help a headache that is already developing.

The best way to prevent this kind of headache: Don't go. If you must go, it pays to sleep through the afternoon session (it helps to be in a ways and toward the rear of the building; the policemenattendants tend to focus on the aisles and the middle and lower tiers. And they have to worry about safety: If they look at someone nearer the top, they are more likely to trip and fall down the stairs than if they are looking down from the top. Plus, they are usually lazy and not as likely to spend time in the upper rows. Bonus: Usually, you are closer to the air conditioning if you sit as high up as possible.

• El Kabong
    El Kabong

Interesting topic. Add the droning on and on from monotone speakers for hours and hours while you are fighting to keep Awake!(tm), is enough to give anyone a headache.

• Bumble Bee
    Bumble Bee

I always got sick after the DA's! Hated going because I knew I'd be sick for weeks afterwards!!

BB

• El Kabong
    El Kabong

Just wanted to add, the WORSE headaches I really have ever gotten were from attending District Assemblies at the old Vet in Philadelphia, in the summer heat. Sheer hell!! The intense heat while sitting in a suit, and the "spiritual food" dished out over and over and over......and over!!

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass

One recent Sydney DC: every infant who attended went home with gastro. I guess one kid got it, germs spread through the changeroom (and all new parents have to sit in the same hellhole together). The following year I was assigned changeroom cleaner; two people in each changeroom with disinfectant bottle to wipe down every surface, every time they were touched.

• monophonic
    monophonic

from what i've read, our minds are most susceptible to accepting ideas when we're tired and sleepy....thus sleep deprivation for interrogation and brainwashing.

w/ assemblies, i feel it's the same, yet subtle. for attendants, volunteers, etc., it's, get your ass up at 5am and leave @ 7pm during district assemblies...dose while the monotone goes on and on.

the last assembly i went to, this horrid self righteous lady talked about how her husband started hanging out with people at work and she kept urging him to stop (sounded like a nagger), and brought the elders in on it (i would've divorced her right there) and he didn't stop and finally they ended up separating and getting a divorce and now he's disfellowshipped.

it was obvious there was way more to the story, but she got her day to shine w/ her pathetic experience and everyone clapped. that's another thing that freaked me out is the clapping even though half the crowd doesn't know what they're clapping for

i told my wife, 'she sounds like she was a bitch', and my wife was clapping and i wasn't clapping and she said, 'i know', and i said, 'why are you clapping for her then'. she said, 'i don't know what to do' and i said, 'just don't clap'.

oh, and for the last three years that i went to assemblies, xanax was my best friend...get that stoned feeling w/o smelling like alcohol, write short stories in your notebook and it looks like you're taking notes. i'd get some good writing done @ assemblies...especially when i'd get a whiff of pheromone from a eligible hot single sister in a flower dress cruising with her friends to score that trophy jw husband who will probably never go down on her and she'll never get the big 'o' (not referring to oprah)....the magic i could work on those girls. eh, uhm. sorry, off track.

even funnier, the last time i went to a meeting about four years ago, one of those once a year get talked into going ones, the suit jacket i wore was the same one i wore to a film event and i forgot to take the clove cigarettes out of the pocket. there was a moment of panic when i felt the box, b/c of the ingrained belief system, then i laughed to myself.

anyway, great post re: assemblies...thanks for the memories.

• horrible life
    horrible life

Do they really have attendants to wake people up? And what do they do?

• brinjen
    brinjen

Who can forget those assembley headaches? Especially the district convention headaches. In fact, headaches & falling asleep is about all I remember oh & the food and the crowds in the toilets getting shoved around left right & centre. Those uncomfortable chairs and the biggest mistake I made in my life, getting baptized . Really miss those days! (not)

• brinjen
    brinjen

By the way welcome to the board Monophonic

• POs Son
    POs Son

And now I have a headache just thinking about it!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit