Sharing a bed

by sass_my_frass 19 Replies latest jw friends

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass

This is OT (like half of the topics in 'Friends'), and a bit personal, but I don't actually have that many friends that I can talk about this with, so here goes...

Mr Frass and I believe we're very happily married, and we're very affectionate. Trouble is, around midnight many nights, I'm finding that I can't get comfortable and sleep. I need to turn around a lot, cuddle a spare pillow in *just* the right way etc. I had a lot of sleepless nights early on but after a while I took to shifting to the spare room after I'd accepted for that night that I can't sleep. Within minutes of getting comfy in there I'm asleep; more room, more freedom to wriggle around and get comfy. I think it's partly about stress - it happens more at times like this (exams next week), but also, since I have spent the vast majority of my life sleeping alone and have only just recently had my sleeping space cut in half, I'm just finding it difficult to get used to.

I don't like leaving him on those nights - and also don't like not being there when he wakes up. Mr Frass was sad about it early on and I explained that I just needed to sleep. I'm pretty sure that he doesn't take it personally now and knows that it's just about sleep, but today he suggested that he should sleep in the spare room from now on, because the curtains in there aren't so thick and the brighter light could help him to wake up in the morning. I know him well enough to know that he's just concerned that I'm not getting the sleep I need, and finding a practical solution that has an upside for him too. Or, maybe I'm such a wriggler that he's not sleeping properly either. I'll ask him.

I don't want it to be a permanent thing though, it seems so sad and a step in the wrong direction. I think I'll start marking on a calendar every night I shift rooms, and insist that he opens the curtains as soon as he wakes up so that he finds it easier to start the day. I'm afraid to go that way.

Has anybody found that it's better to sleep alone? Would that be a marriage killer?

Thanks
    Sleepless in, uh, lets say Sydney

• sweet pea
    sweet pea

Hi Sass I don't think this is sad, I reckon there's loads of us out there who just love 'sleeping' on our own - hubby and I do it occasionally when one of us badly needs some quality kip (mainly due to the demands of a young family), when we do, we always jump back into bed together for a cuddle (?!) in the morning. I also know of some very old friends who are totally still in love and have the strongest marriage I know and they regularly sleep in separate rooms so I think its down to how you view this, the effort you make to be together at other times and how your relationship is in other areas as to whether this has the potential to be a wedge that drives you apart. Hope this helps :-)

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

Trust me - it is a step in the wrong direction. Get back in bed. If he snores - my failsafe tip is cover his mouth and nostrils for about 30 secs - this induces suffocation and clears the airways. Then again ex Mr C is ex.... He got a bit scared when I played variations on that 30 second rule.

• brinjen
    brinjen

I've been sleeping on the lounge for weeks now instead of with my partner, similar reason just can't get a proper sleep with him anymore, feel more comfortable by myself.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Aint love grand?

• Who are you?
    Who are you?
    I'm pretty sure that he doesn't take it personally now and knows that it's just about sleep, but today he suggested that he should sleep in the spare room from now on, because the curtains in there aren't so thick and the brighter light could help him to wake up in the morning.

Either that....or Mr. Frass wants to be able to sneak in and out of the house undetected.

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass
    Either that....or Mr. Frass wants to be able to sneak in and out of the house undetected.

Bustardo! I'm so going to give him the spanking of his life...

• poppers
    poppers

"He got a bit scared when I played variations on that 30 second rule."...... I've got orange juice squirting out my nose. Thanks Crumpet!

• Stealth453
    Stealth453

I guess it would depend on what you cover his mouth with.

• ninja
    ninja

yeah get back in bed...there's nothing more annoying than waking up in the morning doing a big fart and turning to shove your partner's head under the covers and finding they are not there....waste of good wind

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit