Remember When The Watchtower Was Printed on Paper?

by Nosferatu 18 Replies latest jw friends

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

Ah, those were the good ol' days. You could underline with a pen and the paper wouldn't rip. You would pinch the paper between your fingers and feel like you're holding a piece of paper instead of a tissue. And the colorful hardbound covers on the books - you could hit your kids with those and it would hurt.

I have to wonder, how could they downgrade their materials moreso? Perhaps they could print their literature on the Governing Body's used Depends Undergarments to save on costs.

• ninja
    ninja

I think it's better thin like tissue....the money I'm saving on toilet paper is incredible!!

• undercover
    undercover

I always thought the thin paper in the Bibles would make some good rolling papers...

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    Perhaps they could print their literature on the Governing Body's used Depends Undergarments to save on costs.

Depends are much more durable than watchtower doctrine and therefore unsuitable.

W

• RollerDave
    RollerDave

I wonder how long before the magazines go to an electronic only distribition pattern?

They would be a proprietary format only viewable with the WT Viewer that will only allow access with an active approved 'key' that it checks in a WT database every time and that the WT can revoke at any time.

I would be remiss not to suggest that such a key might well be worn at the wrist or on the forehead!

Such an arrangement would allow them to see when individual witnesses access the literature, and to keep it from being 'misused' by we 'evil slaves.'

128 bit encryption with a revolving key would do the trick, and if you became unnaproved, the WT Viewer would randomize the key making it permanantly unavailable.

Such a loving provioson from Big Brother, uh, I mean the FDS.

Roller

• Paralipomenon
    Paralipomenon

"Depends are much more durable than watchtower doctrine and therefore unsuitable."

But they both seem to hold alot of crap!

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    I wonder how long before the magazines go to an electronic only distribition pattern?

Naturally, it would have an expiry date and be inaccessible after it expires. One day we'll have to rely on screenshots to expose their lies.

W

• stapler99
    stapler99

When did the paper get worse? I don't particularly remember it changing at any point. I remember hearing someone saying that the Watchtower was printed in Britain on higher quality paper than in the USA, because it would make people respect the literature more and view it less like a disposable flyer that you might have stuffed into a free newspaper. I have no confidence in the truth of such a statement, however, unless someone else has heard something similar.

• undercover
    undercover

Since they're a publishing company, printing books and magazines is what they do. To cease printing the literature would eliminate one of their income sources.

Profits from placing selling their publications may be down, but they're still receiving donations payments from the publishers field sales reps.

It's also what keeps those workers busy...going door to door trying to place sell the publications. Take away the printed material and most JWs would not know how to go door to door anymore, 'cause most of them have no idea how to maket the religion without relying on a magazine to do the work for them.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

They don't want to distribute over the internet because more JW's would think
    using the internet is okay. I could see the locals having to make their own copies
    of the OKM and Study articles as the money gets tighter. I can see the tract
    becoming the main placement in the near future, books being only distributed at
    the Hall, or worse yet, only at the conventions.

I suppose it would be too much wishful thinking to imagine the day when the
    Governing Body all share the same trailer and have one phone line and type all their
    study articles on a laptop then send them out over the internet (to the hundreds of
    remaining loyals).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit