Remember When The Watchtower Was Printed on Paper?

by Nosferatu 18 Replies latest jw friends

• justsomedude
    justsomedude

So I havent touched one of their crappy mags since 05, I take it they changed the paper just a bit?

• greendawn
    greendawn

I haven't seen their mags or books for years but anything in the watchtower that is downgraded is good news. If their whole exploitative enterprise finally shuts down and goes silent so much the better. Their books and mags are full of cultic manipulation.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

I can't see it going electronic only. For one thing, what would the JWs distribute to the public? Unless they will only give them tracts to distribute. Remember: going door to door is their trademark. They like standing out and getting attention. If they were to stop any time soon people would wonder if they were "giving up". Then they would just be any old religion.

LHG

• zack
    zack

They don't want to SAVE money, they want to MAKE and KEEP money. If they really wanted to simplify, they'd sell everything, give it to the poor, and use just the scriptures...... wait, wait.... that sounds too much like christianity. Sorry.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Here's why they will not go to electronic distribution: hackers. All it takes is one person to hack the computer and decode the literature, or get a black-box that decrypts the literature, and then puts it up for all to see. Then it ends up on a forum or a blog, and then the s*** hits the fan. The apostates will then have the ability to make their comments about it, and even rat them in to the judges and lawmakers when they get into trouble.

I have noticed that the material is getting cheaper (and not just the articles, which have been deteriorating since I can remember). Back in the mid 1990s, they had a full size calendar. They had hard bound literature, and the paper was a decent quality. But shortly after that, they started shrinking the calendar (but not the requiredsuggested donation). They also started using paperback books around 2000. I began to wonder what was happening to quality about that time. And they cut back the Asleep to one issue a month instead of two.

By now, I think the paper quality is starting to match the quality of the material contained therein. Notably, I have seen plenty of recycled articles. They study about exotic animals in the middle of Africa where most of us are not going to see. They study some sport or hobby that the drones are not going to be able to engage in (it's stealing from the ministry). They have p*#$ poor write-ups about medical conditions, designed to tell us "Hey, if these people can pioneer, then why aren't you with a measly migraine headache?" And how many articles are they going to put out about coffee and chocolate before someone in the Governing Body decides that they are going to ban it after all? Some college equivalent that is!

• Lapuce
    Lapuce

Well I can use it as toilet paper now......:)

• hemp lover
    hemp lover

"I always thought the thin paper in the Bibles would make some good rolling papers..."

You thought correctly ;-)

• misanthropic
    misanthropic
    I always thought the thin paper in the Bibles would make some good rolling papers...

I can't believe this idea never occured to me...

• heathen
    heathen

I suppose it would be too much wishful thinking to imagine the day when the
    Governing Body all share the same trailer and have one phone line and type all their
    study articles on a laptop then send them out over the internet (to the hundreds of
    remaining loyals).

It'd be more than the apostles had . Perhaps they should live in a tent or cave somewhere and write with pen and ink on scrolls . I think it's clear that they didn't need to build a new 600 million dollar printing facility and they have dug a whole they won't see daylight for years to come .

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit