Commenting at Meetings: A Way Of Expressing Your Faith???

by R.F. 25 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Bumble Bee
    Bumble Bee

I'm not sure that "now" commenting is a way of expressing your faith. Maybe in the past, when you actually had to use your brain when commenting. Now you are "encouraged" to answer directly from the material given.

BB

• Amber Rose
    Amber Rose

I always felt stupid commenting, so I rarely did. I thought it was rather embarassing. They would ask for heartfelt comments that stuck to the paragraph. The two never added up for me. What I did find rather nausiating (sp?) was at the book study when the six-year-old girl had her hand up for every question. Proving to me what a stupidly written book it was that we were studying as adults. Proving to everyone else what a super smart, super spirtiual little girl she is.

• truthsearcher
    truthsearcher

I thought it was quite revealing when the sisters told me about so and so, the new convert, who made comments at the meetings stating what he actually thought, rather than what the material said, because "he didn't know any better, and was still learning".

I guess it is the same as in our book study when we read a paragraph and then there is the question at the bottom of the page, and the answer is so obvious that I just look strangely at the conductor, and say "well, OBVIOUSLY, the answer from the book would be..." Then I make sure that I instigate a REAL discussion of the points being made. We don't usually make it through very many paragraphs at a time...Can you imagine me at a meeting? They would throw me out!

• Sarah Smiles
    Sarah Smiles

What I have noticed, most people stick with the topic and ignore answers regarding doctrines. I am talking about modern day applications, I would wait for some one to raise their hands and answer to something I knew was wrong for example Jesus cleansing the temple? Who and when they would know the answer, but why is a mystery to most of the JW. It is all too strange for me!

It would be nice if they answered with factual information about the religions history. It really is odd!

I never answered because I was reinstated and reinstated people can not answer. It is part of the punishment and on going shunning. I really do not care.

• Johnny
    Johnny

Perhaps one's FAITH in the organization.

As I was in there longer and longer I found that I could comment less and less because I agreed less and less. Finally I left. Sometimes I wonder if the thing to do is to express one's questions and doubts aloud while still in the organization???

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother
    I disagree- I absolutely loved to comment-it WAS my way of expressing my faith. And people would always compliment me, saying my comments were really unique and well-thought out. I just spoke from my hear.t

I wonder how long ago that was? The Wt conductors that I have seen in recent times hate it when people do that. Often they sew it up with so many subsidiary q's that they only get the simple answers that they want. I guess they cannot handle a real audience discussion.. I was always led to believe that it should be an open free discussion...not now.. I believe the GB have recently sent a letter to all congs in an effort to raise the standard.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit