Commenting at Meetings: A Way Of Expressing Your Faith???

by R.F. 25 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• R.F.
    R.F.

As we are told by the WT, commenting at the meetings is supposed to be a way of expressing your faith in the congregation. I hardly felt this today during the WT Study today or every meeting for that matter. It seems more like this is the time when everyone wants to correct others or direct their comments in a way that it's condemnatory to others.

• heathen
    heathen

I noticed that too , they use the study as a forum to attack others by making remarks that are not outlined in the article .It is also a way for them to have confirmation that you agree with the society since they will not listen to any dissent .

• themonster123
    themonster123

I disagree- I absolutely loved to comment-it WAS my way of expressing my faith. And people would always compliment me, saying my comments were really unique and well-thought out. I just spoke from my hear.t

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Commenting is a great cult manuever. Parents encourage children to comment. This starts
    them on the road to saying things that agree with the article, making them feel smart and
    accepted by others. Adults know that they are judged as "spiritually weak" if they don't
    comment at the book study and the WT meeting.

Since dissent is not allowed, cognitive dissonance sets in for anyone doubting the validity of
    the points as others comments prove they fully agree with the information. People want to
    be spiritually strong, smart, and accepted by others, so their minds accept the information
    and learn to comment and prove there's no doubts.

They are told it's an expression of their faith, but really it's an expression of their loyalty-
    loyalty to WTS.

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

While there may be some people who actually speak from the heart, they are very few and far between.

The main point of giving comments is to pull everybody into a polarized atmosphere. I noticed that it is through these comments there is often a 'snowball' effect where members of the congregation begin to verbally attack many of the other groups and churches in their own area. Names such a stupid, foolish, and everything else are used. People are encouraged to simply build up the JW lifestyle more than anything, while attacking everything outside.

Often I would wonder, 'How would these people in the churches around here feel and react if they knew the kind of things these people where saying about them'.

• R.F.
    R.F.
    I disagree- I absolutely loved to comment-it WAS my way of expressing my faith. And people would always compliment me, saying my comments were really unique and well-thought out. I just spoke from my hear.t

There truly are those that give heartfelt comments. I just meant for the most part of what I have seen. It always seems like the intent of ones is to tear others down, perhaps pointing out a flaw in others and exaggerating it to the point that everyone in the cong knows who they are addressing.

• loosie
    loosie

Commenting is a way to make yourself look good to the elders or prospective mates. It's like being the teachers pet.

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

I don't comment at meetings. Every so often an elder approaches me and tells me that MSes are supposed to set an example.

I comment for a couple meetings...then slink below the radar again...

• juni
    juni

I've been out for 14 years. From what I understand, now they are looking for rote answers which does not allow for personal expression.

From my experience, it's a time for butt kissing to show you are behind the organization's teachings 100% and that you are a member who wants to be a part of the spiritual banquette therefore mature in the others' minds.

Though there are some who do want to "stir the pot" on occassion by taking the plunge to express a differing opinion.

And there are those like monster123 who honestly feel that it gives them the opportunity to express their faith.

• Robert222
    Robert222

I always hated commenting and felt sick and childish when doing so. The posts here kind of opened my eyes to the fact that I guess it was to prove to the congregation that we believe the WA statements, that we are "one of them" and "please don't label me as weak". I do think it is a cult atmosphere, a way of marking, shunning, and eventually getting rid of those that refuse to parot the statements in the literature. When Jesus preached to crowds did he demand they parot back his own words?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit