Is it true there are now two watchtowers?

by dawg 11 Replies latest jw friends

• dawg
    dawg

I've heard there are now two watchtowers being distributed; one for publishers and one the general public. Can anyone confirm this? Also, I've heard the WTBTS is suggesting that people get rid of the internet in their homes... is this true?

• LtCmd.Lore
    LtCmd.Lore

YES, starting in 2008 they will have one watchtower that is placed with non-witnesses, and one watchtower for witnesses only.

As far as the internet, they've always been discouraging it. But as far as banning it completely, I didn't hear anything about that, but it's probably gonna happen someday.

Lore

• dawg
    dawg

What is the reason they're giving for putting out two WT's?

• LtCmd.Lore
  • betterdaze
    betterdaze

Hi dawg.

These were the discussions when the announcement was made in mid-February 2007:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/129169/1.ashx

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/11/129593/1.ashx

~Sue

• jgnat
    jgnat

The reason? I'm positive the only reason given was to "simplify" matters. Some JW's will speculate that this is a sign that we are deeper in the last days.

The real reason? Instructions and language to the rank-and-file are now so removed from regular people's reality, that the magazine no longer caters to the wider (world) audience. Also, the organization can speak more frankly to it's followers, if it knows that the world isn't watching. It's a separation of the cultist from the potential convert, an exclusivity, which helps maintain control. The Watchtower has always been about control.

So now there will be the (public) version of the "truth", and the (back room) cultist reality.

• Arthur
    Arthur
    What is the reason they're giving for putting out two WT's?

In a previous thread, someone posted the Kingdom Ministry article that explained why. The gist of the article was that the "public" version would present basic Scriptural discussions, while the "JW version" would focus on the "deeper things" and would be more in tune with the needs of the congregation. Most of us agree that this is just a cover for the fact that they do not want the public to see some of the things that they are printing in the study articles. An example might be the last WT study article on giving obedience and submission the the slave class. This article was a shameless piece of propoganda. I think that many in the public who would read this, comparing it with their own Bible studying would be offended to say the least. Many of the WT study article smack of cultism and totalitarianism. They also want to do everything they can to prevent the study articles from getting into the hands of "apostates". I'm sure that someone in Brooklyn has at least taken note of Blondie's weekly commentaries on the WT study articles. The Watchtower organization is not too friendly to the notion of people having open and honest discussions about their study articles. The fact that people would actually ask serious questions and critique the teachings of the "Slave Class" is desecration in their minds.

• dawg
    dawg

This is why i love you all... Thanks!

• bluebell
    bluebell

but i'm sure blondie will still get hold of em anyhow! you know, if it wasn't for this board i'd have never known about it - the fact that the awake is only monthly for over a year passed me by completely. but now i can be quite smug knowing i know things before my family even if i can't tell em :)

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

OK, so there have been discussions about the Watchtower splitting into two starting in 2008. This is in fact true. One will have the showcase items and will be placed with the public to show what the Tower wants the public to know about them, and the other will be the Study edition. This will have doctrines that would be too embarrassing for the public to see. I call it the Kool-Aid edition.

The Internet question is more speculation, but I think they are working hard on a total ban. They have frowned on it all the while, for the simple reason that it is too easy for people to find apostate Web sites and not have the hounders know about it. Back in 1995, all they really had to worry about was http://members.aol.com/Beyondjw/bj.htm . Then along came the likes of www.silentlambs.org , www.dannyhaszard.com , and www.watchthetower.com . We cannot forget this and other discussion boards where apostates can post messages intended to stumble people out of the Tower by busting the illusions. The latest (and so far the most potent) threat is www.sixscreensofthewatchtower.com ). Other, even worse, sites may be in the works.

Between the danger of people stumbling onto apostate Web sites and the time spent on the Internet that "should" be spent in service, the Craptower Society may see fit to declare the Internet a disfellowship offense. It would be difficult to enforce, however, unless the hounders visit people's homes or people rat each other out for seeing a computer that looks like it might be hooked online. We will have to wait for further word to leak from a KM or the Kool-Aid edition of the Watchtower for more updates on this issue. But, if you are still around the Tower, you will have to take that chance. Leave the Tower now (or if you are thinking of joining, don't). Then you won't have to worry about any ban on the Internet or having secret Kool-Aid edition Watchtowers with ridiculous new rules coming.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit