New Light Coming?

by dontomas 28 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Terry
    Terry

In recently researching the Millerite fiasco of the mid 1800's I discovered that the 2nd Adventists were constantly using the term: NEW LIGHT to describe the latest explanation for why Christ had not come back as expected.

Even that phrase was co-opted by the JW's for their own failed policies.

There seems to be little at all that is an original thought with Jehovah's Witnesses.

Their true genius comes in explaining away the evidence that they are full of nonsense.

• yaddayadda
    yaddayadda

The only flaw in your reasoning Metatron is that the Society have announced new light many times in the past when they didn't really 'need' to. Did they need to make the 1995 new light about this generation and the sheep and the goats separation? They were statistically doing better then than they are now, yet they still brought in new light.

• dedpoet
    dedpoet
    Did they need to make the 1995 new light about this generation and the sheep and the goats separation? They were statistically doing better then than they are now, yet they still brought in new light.

The generation that saw 1914, and that wasn't going to pass away before the
    end of the system, which was what they believed before 1995, WAS passing
    away by then, so the "new light" on that prophecy was very much needed,
    otherwise they would have had the embarassment of explaining yet another
    failed prophecy.

I agree that they were doing reasonably well statistically at the time, but I
    wonder how many would have started to question as the 1914 generation
    died off, as most of them must have done by now, and the system rolled
    on and on without any sign of armageddon.

• bluebell
    bluebell

I think that because they have a grip on your familiy and your only friends, they can do as they please and people are too scared to lose everything.

• IronClaw
    IronClaw

I think with all the $$$ they are dishing out because of all the lawsuits, soon they will have an announcement that all publishers will have to donate X amount of money per month to cover "World wide work". We all know where this money really goes. Maybe they will put a spin on tithing. You never know.

The Claw.

• yaddayadda
    yaddayadda

Dedpoet, that proves my point. Sometimes the Society brings in 'new light' even when there is no 'need' to in terms of numbers, finances, stats. The 'generation' change was a classic example. Statistically and financially they were cruising along very nicely in the mid-1990s, yet they brought in this change anyway. Why? Because doctrinally they were forced too, having painted themselves into a corner through stating in their publication for decades that 'this generation' was a literal, measurable, human generation that started in 1914.

What this means is that the only time the Society announces any 'new light' appears to be when they have tied themselves to some interpretation that father time exposes as erroneous.

The recent 'new light' about the heavenly calling not ceasing in 1935 is another example when they have had to correct a false time-based interpretation.

• Quandry
    Quandry

Because doctrinally they were forced too, having painted themselves into a corner through stating in their publication for decades that 'this generation' was a literal, measurable, human generation that started in 1914.

What this means is that the only time the Society announces any 'new light' appears to be when they have tied themselves to some interpretation that father time exposes as erroneous.

I agree that the "New Light" was forced upon them concerning the 1914 generation. I mean, how long could these people be expected to live?

But the new arrangement for the WT magazines? I do not get it. I don't think it will set well with many people. This is because it will cause alot of problems with who is allowed to receive the magazines. How will they determine this? Greet the new ones coming in the door and test them as to their pronounciation of "Mephibosheth?"

• metatron
    metatron

If you read Crisis of Conscience, you can see that they had real fear about being disproved as to the

Generation of 1914 and Armageddon. They had to come up with something to explain away the

failure, so 'new light'. I don't see them as 'under the gun' in regard to dates, they can just keep

repeating the same crap and pulling in suckers, year after year.

The other problem with "new light" is that Fred Franz is dead and no one has his authority. The

organization is very corporate now and , if read the public comments from Samuel Herd ( GB) , you

can see that the Governing Body has such internal disagreement, that nothing of consequence

gets done or decided.

So, I continue to ask what's going to make them change? Why change at all?

I don't see any necessity as long as they pull in more suckers every year.

metatron

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

WT Wizard:

What's the worst that can happen if I post something outrageous and I am wrong? Someone can be scared out of a bad organization, or can find their way out.

I do so very much disagree. What you are espousing is nothing more than what is presently the case with the WTS i.e. the Big Lie! Witnesses delude themselves by speaking of their belief system as "The Truthâ„¢"; they have taken a mortgage on the term, yet that doesn't make it right. We know it's all "The Lie". Do you need to argue against it with more lies? Of course not! If you have a correct understanding and can demonstrate it, you don't need to fabricate anything, nor to exaggerate - simply tell the truth. Nothing can win against it.

IMO by spreading exaggerations, distortions and the like is simply going to have the opposite effect to what you intend.

Tell the truth, nothing more, nothing less.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit