Why alaways the 2nd or "Greater" fulfillment of prophecy?

by zack 11 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• zack
    zack

One of the things (among many) that always bugged me about the WTS, was their insistence on Biblical prophecies always having a

2nd or greater fulfillment. ALWAYS, like everything else about the WTS, it was based on conjencture. But the WTS is not the only group

that ascribes a "greater" fulfillment to prophecy. If the prophecy was made to Isreal or the nations surrounding it, why not just accept it? And if they

beleive in the Bible and they(they being any believer regardless of affilaition) beleive Jesus was the fulfillment of Law and Prophecy, why not accept that the prophetic statements were

fulfilled by and/or in his time?

• choosing life
    choosing life

If there was no greater fullfillment, it would leave out their "present day organization."

It has to be all about them or they are not happy. Even Jesus takes a back seat to the present day "faithful and discreet slave class." You have to admit that they require some real mental gymnastics to apply all those prophesies to some obscure convention or propaganda release of theirs. The Revelation Anti-Climax book is a perfect example.

To sum it all up, I would refer to something called delusions of grandeur.

• Zico
    Zico

'You have to admit that they require some real mental gymnastics to apply all those prophesies to some obscure convention or propaganda release of theirs.'

It is quite impressive how they do that though. I couldn't. That Freddy Franz had quite the imagination.

• avidbiblereader
    avidbiblereader

2 Peter 3:15,16 15 Furthermore, consider the patience of our Lord as salvation, just as our beloved brother Paul according to the wisdom given him also wrote YOU , 16 speaking about these things as he does also in all [his] letters. In them, however, are some things hard to understand, which the untaught and unsteady are twisting, as [they do] also the rest of the Scriptures, to their own destruction.

abr

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

I can't even say WHY.....but even at the time I was a JW...these really stupid typical-antitypical teachings just made me silently roll my eyes. I hated them every time we had a WT study on them or a bookstudy that these were discussed. It was one of my biggest pet peeves with the stuff we had to learn. I know I mentally glazed over and never "got the sense" of what was being taught....I just shut down by that point and never absorbed what they were trying to teach on these things.

• RollerDave
    RollerDave

OMG,

That used to bug me SO MUCH!

I used to sit there thinking about how I could be better spending my time than being spoonfed constant false analogies and self application of every little thing.

'the wheels on the bus go round and round, and as we can see, the third lugnut on the front passenger wheel typifies the modern day 'lugnut class' of rank and file who have no say in where the bus is going, but are spun around mercilessly until they arrive nonetheless.

How joyful the lugnut class must be to have a part in the grand destination of the Bus!

Even tho each member of the lugnut class feels that it might pop off at any second, there are other lugnuts on each wheel so they feel they must toe the line to maintain unity within the wheel.

How fortunate we can feel to know that SOMEBODY is driving the bus SOMEWHERE even thos we cannot see the driver and know not where they are taking us!

but beware of the evil modern day antitype of the apostate Lugwrench class! They want to seperate the loyal lugnut class from their sacred and joyful duty of holding on for dear life as those wheels joyfully go 'round and round!'

These evil apostates are typified by the corn the feces of the high priest of the temple, they have passed through the holy of holies, but have derived nothing from it and have selfishly held back what 'nutrients' they posessed by not being digested and are now cast out with the vilest sort of rubbish...'

Blah blah blah!

Roller

• greendawn
    greendawn

Christian religions also have to a certain extend the type and anti type fulfillment model but the JW approach to it is different in that they find very numerous antitypes and apply them to their own organisation with a view to giving it legitimacy in the eyes of their folowers the more antitypes they find the better. This is in fact one of their fundamental tactics and they are very imaginative in this way.

• Paralipomenon
    Paralipomenon

Lugnut class... love it.

• startingover
    startingover
    These evil apostates are typified by the corn the feces of the high priest of the temple, they have passed through the holy of holies

RFLMAO

• Scully
    Scully

This is the snake oil that the WTS sells. What bugs me even more is that there are 6 million customers willing to believe it.

They wouldn't be much of a cult if the "greater fulfillment" was about something other than them, now, would they?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit