Did you make a new religion for yourself?

by White Dove 23 Replies latest social current

• White Dove
    White Dove

I'm associating with a church that I like very much, however, I find some things hard to digest, like Jesus resurrecting himself. I think the father did that, not him. Anyway, I am thinking that I can just keep associating for social reasons and some religious ones while reading the Bible and having my own beliefs based on how I understand the Bible and not blindly believe doctrine just because a big church teaches it. How many of you did that? Started your own belief system while reading the Bible. I found that no religion has a what do you call it? a monopoly on truth. JW's are wrong, but so are so many others.

My plan: Read the Bible and make a list of my new and old beliefs that I still want to keep and those that I just found. Also, I want to make a list of the things the WTS teaches that I simply don't abide by or believe anymore. I need to get my head straight about all of this. It is driving me crazy!

• theinfamousone
    theinfamousone

see, its not a religion if its just you, its beliefs...

religion is a dangerous word, and an even more terrifying thing! religion causes people to do stupid, harmful and ridiculous things... why? because they believe without examining... they follow without questioning... good for you, keep your quest for knowledge going, and it will take you to some wonderful places..

the infamous one

• Amber Rose
    Amber Rose

I had an idea for a church, based on a basic christian church. For communion everyone gets a very small cupcake and a swig of cherry huggie drink. The person in charge gets to wear a pointy hat with their favorite cartoon character on it and we all sing that Spirt in the Sky song that they play on the oldies station. Thats all I have for now but I plan on developing this church idea further.

• White Dove
    White Dove

Infamousone,

Thank you so much. I feel such freedom in researching things, though not as deeply as I should. I am comparing different Bibles with the Reasoning book and have found that the reasons and scriptures they give for not doing or doing or believing things are not reasons at all or connected at all with the question. I read the question like should Christians do this or that? and then look up the scripture in the NWT Bible. The scripture doesn't even answer the question! It is not even related to it! Then, I take another Bible and compare it to the NWT and find that they left out a bunch of stuff. Unfortunately, the more I do this, the more disconnected I find the Bible to be. It is becoming less and less harmoneous.

• White Dove
    White Dove

Amber Rose,

That sounds like fun!

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

Welcome fellow Calgarian! My names Sheldon and I DA'ed from the Witness nonsense a few years ago now. I have a few book recommendations that might really help you out at this stage: the classic "Crisis of Conscience" by Raymond Franz, "Who Wrote the Bible" by Richard Friedman and "The God Delusion" by Richard Dawkins. In that order.

Nice to meet you!

GBL

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

a new religion that will bring you to your knees

Black Velvet if you please

• Paralipomenon
    Paralipomenon

What convinces you that the bible is the correct foundation for your religious beliefs?

Anytime you start researching with a bias, the end results have already been tainted. The thing that most people miss when going on a religious hunt is that they go looking for the God they created. Few go looking for God, willing to accept what form he is in.

Most just want God to be convenient to their own beliefs and schedule.

• PinTail
    PinTail

Hi, I am becoming more and more involved with the original belief system that my mom had, namely the International Bible Students". I know you may say yuck they are just the same old thing, but be it far from it, the Witness's ruled over your conscious over so many day to day things to such an extent they nullified the word of god. Worshipping Jehovah is so much a part of me now; where as before it felt like I could not really make it my own, I had to make it part of a corporation. What do you have to lose check it out: http://www.chicagobible.org/

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Hi White Dove,

I too attended a couple of churches for a few years after I left JWs. This never prevented me from thinking by myself, but the interaction was helpful.

Read the Bible and make a list of my new and old beliefs that I still want to keep and those that I just found. Also, I want to make a list of the things the WTS teaches that I simply don't abide by or believe anymore. I need to get my head straight about all of this. It is driving me crazy!

Why not simply keep things fluid? If you do make lists, better keep them provisional. You never know what you'll believe next week.

That, imo, is what faith is about.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit