Witchcraft - Would you use it?

by Sirona 106 Replies latest jw friends

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Gary:

I knew if one post was going to get LT out of his new marriage bed, mine would have to be it given his hatred for generalisations and Christian bashers LOL.

You know me too well

Whilst there are some female ministers, are there many females further up the hierarchy?

In many denominations the Minister is as high as it gets. In the Church of Scotland the current "Assembly Moderator" is a woman, and that's as high as you can get with them, too.

Congratulations by the way...are you back on home soil yet - if not when are you due back?

Thanks pal. Yes, I'm back home and completely jetlagged, and trying to arrange travel for Gadget's wedding. Hope to see you guys there!

• MariAruet
    MariAruet

Sirona, you too seem a bit upset with what I say here, I take it you practice those things so my apology there. Well it is like this with me, my parents were both religious hardcore witnesses, their parents were too, my ex husband was wife bashing maniac who was and still is licking kingdom hall door knob, my younger brother became alchocolic because of not being able to live up to the religious standards so his wife of 5 years left him under the blessing of elders because he was endengering her spirituality. So when it comes to religion do you honestly expect from me to embrace it and understand what it does to people around me? It is a rethorical questions but I guess now you can also understand me before jumping a gun ;-)

What I see on the other side is that my atheist neighbours are quite normal people and their two sons are finishing university one is a lawyer another is an engineer. These kids do not believe in god or gods but are more cultured than anybody's children in my former congregation, and above all else they are rational and very thoughtful, something I'm yet to experience with my bible-bashing relatives.

How about that?

• Sirona
    Sirona

Well that sheds some light on the subject.

Be careful that you don't tar all religion with the same brush. Not all Christians are like JWs and not all pagans are "backward"

You've found some nice atheists, great. If you chose to, you'd also find other really nice, balanced people who have religious beliefs.

You mention one is a lawyer...well so is Diamondblue1974. Don't assume professionals are all atheists.

Sirona

• daystar
    daystar
    scientists do not embrace those ideas you are talking about if they are so good

How many scientists do you think would keep their jobs if it got out that they performed Ceremonial Magick?

• MariAruet
    MariAruet

well I don't know daystar, apparently you know the answer by the sound of it, what I do know is that several people that I know of so far have been or are freemasons and scientists at univeristies and it didn't cost them their jobs, but anyway. Look I didn't know so many of you here are into this stuff so I apologise for any hurt feelings. Anyway, I better get going, have lots to do today. Wish you all a good day today ;-)

• asleif_dufansdottir
    asleif_dufansdottir
    How many scientists do you think would keep their jobs if it got out that they performed Ceremonial Magick?

"Scientist" is a very broad designation. I can easily see scientists in many disciplines being completely comfortable in any type of activity from fundamentalist Christianity to Ceremonial Magick. Besides which, why would they need to go around telling people who wouldn't be accepting? What business is it of anyone else? At a minimum there'd be a good basis for a lawsuit (whether it would be winnable would depend on what part of the country you were in).

Not all science deals directly with things some religion has problems with, such as evolution, etc. Chemists, for example, could easily see their work as not conflicting with about any religious belief. Especially for Christian groups which don't insist on a belief in accepting the creation account or 'miracles' as actual fact, even evolutionary biologists can find a church to attend. And the fundies all need their pet apologists...just like JWs need lawyers.

There was even one grad student in physical anthropology (!!! !!!) I knew who was a devout Christian (for those who don't know, phys anth is the subdiscipline that *directly* deals with human evolution, primate studies, etc) although I think her research was about the physical effects of disease or other stuff like that on the human skeleton, not human evolution. She definitely didn't fit in in a department where the Institute of Human Origins is housed.

• daystar
    daystar

Mari

freemasons and scientists at univeristies

Freemasonry is a bit more accepted as it doesn't necessarily mean one also practices any form of magick.

And no feelings hurt here.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit