Notes on Child Abuse Settlement

by Amazing 36 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• Amazing
    Amazing

The article by SilentLambs is somewhat misleading. Yes, the suits were settled with gag orders. It is customary to do so in almost any settlement case. All 16 victims did not have to agree to the gag order, but the Watchtower Society offered so much money that they would be crazy not to accept. Also, in American, Canadian, and British law, if a plaintiff in a civil suit is offered as much or more than they would win at trial, but declines in favor of a public trial, they can be sued and lose against the defendant. That is exactly what happened to Vicky Boor in Canada. She refused a settlement from the Watchtower Society, and went on to win the case at trial. She was then sued by the Society because the award at trial was far less than the offer made by the Society. As a result, the Society did not have to pay her the award (or deducted it from what they billed her), and then sent her a bill for the balance of their legal expenses. She is a molestation victim of the JWs. Yes, while these cases are settled, it is in the best interests of the victims who willingly signed on to the "gag" order. And obviously, everyone seems to know about it anyway ... a lot of good the gag order did, eh? Finally, this does not mean that more cases are not coming up that are being or will be filed in courts throughout the country. The Watchtower Society can only take so much before they will be put out of business. My upcoming book: I gave testimony and affidavits in a number of these cases in states mentioned. I believe that the settlement was the just and wise thing for the victims to choose to do. I cannot now judge the victims and say that they should have gone to trial anyway. I am not under any gag order, however, and therefore, as a fact witness and quasi-expert witness, I can say what I know. And talk is what I will do. The only way that the Watchtower Society can stop me is to offer me a great big bag of money and ask me to shut up ... and I would have to agree to take the money. Jim Whitney

• Mulan
    Mulan
    The article by SilentLambs is somewhat misleading.

deleted my comment...............bound to be taken the wrong way.

• M.J.
    M.J.

Are you knocking Bill, Mulan? Is there something I don't know about here?

The use of the term "gag order" as I've seen it used on this forum is entirely inaccurate. A "gag order" is an order from the court requiring parties and their counsel to "shut up" about a case, usually for the purpose of ensuring a fair trial. I doubt that any gag orders have been issued in any of these cases. However, it is extremely common for defense counsel to insist on the inclusion of confidentiality provisions in a settlement agreement, as well as a recital containing a statement that the parties are settling the case solely for the purpose of avoiding the cost and inconvenience of litigation, and that by so settling the case, none of the parties are admitting liability or wrongdoing in the matter. Insistence on this by the Watchtower attorneys is not extraordinary; it is a very common practice. I think the issue, in the WT's case, is that the WT does not want others to know how much they paid out in these settlements; otherwise, if the settlement amounts were lucrative enough, it could substantially increase the amount of cases of this nature filed against the WT. I'm sure there are many other reasons as well, such as terminating the publicity surrounding these cases, as the WT has always put its "reputation" above the interests of those who it controls.

• sir82
    sir82
    the Watchtower Society offered so much money that they would be crazy not to accept.

Do you know / can you say how much is "so much"?

• Mulan
    Mulan
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sorry about that. I shouldn't have said that, and was trying to be funny. I guess it was inappropriate.

Lots of people exaggerate and stretch the truth to make a point. The truth is still there, nonetheless.

• LtCmd.Lore
    LtCmd.Lore
    I think that the Kingdom Hall where the criminal attended should be leveled as part of the punishment. Also, the offenders should receive death by hanging, without a jury.

Why without a jury?

• bluesapphire
    bluesapphire

AAAAA HAAAAAA!!!

So THAT was their tactic!

They offered the money hoping the victims would refuse and go to trial. Then they planned on pulling a Vicky-Boer move on them!

Sooooo, it backfired on them.

Now they settled for a ton of money. On top of that they have no way to recoup the money. And on top of that their gag order is no good with the expert witness.

LOVE IT!

• M.J.
    M.J.
    Also, in American, Canadian, and British law, if a plaintiff in a civil suit is offered as much or more than they would win at trial, but declines in favor of a public trial, they can be sued and lose against the defendant. That is exactly what happened to Vicky Boor in Canada. She refused a settlement from the Watchtower Society, and went on to win the case at trial. She was then sued by the Society because the award at trial was far less than the offer made by the Society. As a result, the Society did not have to pay her the award (or deducted it from what they billed her), and then sent her a bill for the balance of their legal expenses. She is a molestation victim of the JWs.

Is this exactly what happened? When you think about a settlement in terms of this rule, it virtually is an admission of guilt. It's essentially saying, "we offered your reward up front without the formalities and expenses of the trial and you refused. So now you have to pay the expense of the trial."

So in a civil suit, settling is like winning the case without going to trial. Seems like you can't fault anyone for taking that option.

• metatron
    metatron

Guys, I understand that "gag order" has a usual and fairly precise legal definition - and that

silentlambs isn't using it that way. However, I think he is using it fairly, in briefly describing

confidentiality agreements that enforce silence - and , if true, a silence that the Catholic Church

has NOT demanded. Besides df'ing whistleblowers, this adds another disgusting distinction

to "true religion"!

metatron

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit