Notes on Child Abuse Settlement

by Amazing 36 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• Tuesday
    Tuesday
    You can find out if I know the exact figure by buying my book when it is released ... and I will let the board know.

Don't be like that, dish the goods!

• wednesday
    wednesday

http://advocateweb.org/hope2/index.htm

INCLUDES CLERGY ABUSE.

posting this to help any who have been abused . this link deals with clergy abuse too.

• startingover
    startingover

I think it's important that the right terminology is used when this matter is being talked about. I just got this from a lawyer:

A "gag order" is issued by the judge telling the people and the lawyers not to discuss the case outside the courtroom, in order to avoid pre-trial publicity and to protect the identity of witnesses. If you tell, the judge can punish you for contempt. After the case is settled,the gag order is usually dismissed. But many settlement agreements contain a Confidentiality and Non-Disclosure provision that says I agree to pay you this much money, but only if you never tell anybody how much it is, because I don't want anybody to know how much I paid. If you ever tell anybody, then you have to pay me back.
  • sir82
    sir82
    If you ever tell anybody, then you have to pay me back.

But it would be possible, theoretically speaking, for some third party to spill the beans, and the plaintiff not lose the settlement, right?

Like, say, some disgruntled Bethel insider with a functional conscience?

• Amazing
    Amazing

Startingover:

A "gag order" is issued by the judge telling the people and the lawyers not to discuss the case outside the courtroom, in order to avoid pre-trial publicity and to protect the identity of witnesses. If you tell, the judge can punish you for contempt. After the case is settled,the gag order is usually dismissed. But many settlement agreements contain a Confidentiality and Non-Disclosure provision that says I agree to pay you this much money, but only if you never tell anybody how much it is, because I don't want anybody to know how much I paid. If you ever tell anybody, then you have to pay me back.

Yes, you are 100% correct. The reason I continued with the 'gag' order was because SilentLambs incorrectly used the term, and I did not was to add confusion. Settlement "confidentiality" not only is about keeping the amount of money secret, but keeps the settlement secret. Therefore, the one receiving money will also not be at liberty to even mention the fact that a settlement was reached or what it was about. The attorneys on both sides must also keep it to themselves.

Sir82:

But it would be possible, theoretically speaking, for some third party to spill the beans, and the plaintiff not lose the settlement, right? ... Like, say, some disgruntled Bethel insider with a functional conscience?

Yes, it is very possible ... in fact, very likely that anyone not bound by the settlement agreement can and will speak about it. But, the question is, do such 'third party' individuals have the facts? The Bethelites you mention are only going to be staff attorneys that work at the Watchtower headquarters. They cannot tell unless they risk being disbarred. However, the Society perhaps forgot to include some people like me in their agreement ... that is, they didn't offer me any money to keep my trap shut ... and so, my book is in the works.

Jim Whitney

• BFD
    BFD
    that is, they didn't offer me any money to keep my trap shut ... and so, my book is in the works.

Jim Whitney

How quickly will this book be published? I cannot wait to read the details.

BFD

• chasson
    chasson

Jim, we are waiting your book !!!! Bye Charles

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit