True or False: Watchtower Male Stereotype

by YoursChelbie 27 Replies latest jw friends

• Tuesday
    Tuesday

I'm a bottler, I basically bottle everything up and then when it comes out it basically all comes out at once.

I guess that stereotype was true back in the 1950's which is just the way the WT likes it.

• found-my-way
    found-my-way

Hey FunkyDerek!

I love you man!

However, for some reason, there is a taboo in certain circles on acknowledging the obvious fact that men and women are also mentally different. Their brains are physically different and respond in different ways to various stimuli.

There may be stereotypes but they weren't just invented; they're based on the real noticeable differences between men and women.

I agree with you , men and women are different!

I was just saying that with emotions, usually it is personality that plays the leading role that affects how a person will react to various stimuli.

From my experience, and from my observation of different cultures and backgrounds, I have found that people are who they are based on different personality types, not necessarily their gender.

It is true that men and womens brains DO work differently, and we often communicate in very different styles,

I have seen where women can behave like the ''typical man'', and vise versa. There are nurturing fathers who stay home and care for their children, while the wife goes to work and prefers it that way because she knows her husband does a better job caring for their kids than she could.

There are men who cry and laugh easily and who show affection readily, and there are women who don't cry easily, who dont show much emotion at all...and who can come across as cold and aloof. Just an example of why I think stereotypes can be inacurate.

I am not saying this is the average of how men and women are, I know it is not.

I am just saying that based on seeing that men and women roles can be reversed and are interchangable, maybe that means personality plays a greater role in influencing how we behave more than the role that our gender plays.

I just think that if we all can let go of the old stereotypes of how men and women should or do /think/behave, it would benefit us a human race.

much love and respect,

~found

• ninja
    ninja

Last time I cried was when I got the word about my mum's cancer 2 years ago.....oh and one time when my guinness spilt...I bent down to catch it and it hit me on the back of the head.....grrrrr....stomp stomp stomp.....slam!!!....creak......slam!!!!

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

found-my-way:

I have seen where women can behave like the ''typical man'', and vise versa. There are nurturing fathers who stay home and care for their children, while the wife goes to work and prefers it that way because she knows her husband does a better job caring for their kids than she could.

There are men who cry and laugh easily and who show affection readily, and there are women who don't cry easily, who dont show much emotion at all...and who can come across as cold and aloof. Just an example of why I think stereotypes can be inacurate.

I did acknowledge that this was the case; as with physical characteristics, there is a huge overlap between the sexes. For example, the average height of a woman is (say) 5' 6" with 90% of women being in the range 5' 0" to 6' 0" while the average height for a man is 6' 0", 90% of them in the range 5' 6" to 6' 6". It's clear from these figures (completely fabricated as they are) that men are generally taller than women. However, it's also obvious that there is such a large overlap that many women will be taller than many men and that even in the normal bell curve some women will be considerably taller than some men. I think something similar can be observed in the logic/emotion scale. The overlap is so large that everybody will know some women who are more logical than some men. (Undoubtedly the same is true for other character traits.)

I just think that if we all can let go of the old stereotypes of how men and women should or do /think/behave, it would benefit us a human race.

I agree with you on the "should". Forcing people to conform to rigid ideas of what we think they should be is a bad idea. However, I think it's always worth looking at how people do behave. Women and men do tend to approach and react to situations differently, and this can be useful to know in education, employment and (especially!) relationships.

Stereotypes are a lot like clichés: they wouldn't exist if there wasn't some truth in them. It's obviously important not to just rely on these stereotypes when making judgments, but equally, it's not a good idea to completely dismiss them just because they're seen as politically incorrect.

• John Doe
    John Doe

This goes beyond what the wtbts puts out and is an indicator of societal pressures exerted upon every one of us. Consider this, the next time you observe a young child fall down and get hurt. If it is a boy, you'll hear "Oh you're all right. You're a big boy; big boys don't cry." Girls, on the other hand, will be encouraged to display their hurts and emotions more openly. How much is genetic and how much is enivironment is a point for discussion.

• found-my-way
    found-my-way

FunkyDerek,

I humbly apologize if I came across as dogmatic or that I believe people should do one thing or another, that was not my intent...

Your view points are all true and correct. Yes, There are grains of truth in clichés, and in stereotypes alike. I agree with this. I do not dismiss them just because they are not politically incorrect, just that I find that they can hold people back from taking one another on a one to one personal basis...am i not very good at expressing myself, sorry if that doesnt make sense.

stereotypes can make others make rash judgements, and make wide sweeping statements like, ''you're just a woman, woman cry over every little thing.'' or ''suck it up, be a man, boys dont cry''. That is why I dislike stereotypes...just my opinion though, others might like them or find them useful, i just think they are archiac. just my opinion and that doesnt count for much...lol

sincerely,

~found

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

I tried to analyze this. There is a particular male who I come into contact with who sometimes annoys me and I tried to figure out why. Yes, it is true that women are more emotional than men and men SEEM more logical (the 2/3 theory). Before any men start patting themselves on the back I figured out why at least in this particular instance. For one thing, this man (and some other men) just plow ahead with no thought or consideration about anything else whereas I am thinking about ALL the other things - hence more emotion.

The problem with the JW religion is that the men there are generally underachievers and may be perceived as losers according to worldly standards. But, in the JW world they feel "elevated". Putting down women with this crackpot psychology and not according them the respect they are due, they are only trying to give men with serious issues a false sense of superiority.

LHG

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass

Yeah, just one of many sad simplifications. They can't have the folk looking into these things or getting their information from any other source, so... instead of every woman going out and reading Men are from Mars, they just quote the bit they like. If they can tap into a lot of popular arguments and put their spin on each of them, the followers don't have to go to the trouble of looking into it themselves.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit