USA - Don't Pump Gas on May 15th.

by onlycurious 21 Replies latest jw friends

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1

Instead of bothering with this, how about buying a car that does not burn as much fuel? My car gets 40mpg and only costs about $24 to fill each week. SUV owners only have theirselves to blame when they complain of $80 fill-ups.

Plus if everybody demanded a car that got 40 plus mpg, that would help ease up the demand for oil.

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

As almost everybody's pointed out, not buying "gas" on the 15th won't make any difference at all. What would make a difference is not using any. Why not walk to work on the 15th, or cycle, or go by train or bus, or at least car pool? In fact, why not do it every day? At the very least, that would reduce the amount of money you spend on gas. If enough people do it, it would also bring prices down, not to mention reduce pollution, and the economic strength of corrupt oil-rich economies.

But of course that would require a little more inconvenience than just filling up on the 14th.

• Clam
    Clam
    Gas is now over $3.00 a gallon in most places.

You poor devils. It's over $8 a gallon here.

• Blueblades
    Blueblades

It won't put a dent in the Oil Companies. It won't work. The reason being, we are all a captive audience. Just as when we are at an airport, we either pay their prices or go without. We have three choices only, 1 ) pay to use our vehicles, 2 ) use public transportation or 3 ) Walk.

Blueblades

• Insomniac
    Insomniac

The best way to impact the oil companies, as I see it, is to reduce our gas consumption every day of the year, not just on 5/15. Where I live, we have to drive an hour just to go to the mall or a decent restaurant. My buddy and I have started carpooling with each other whenever possible, and already we've seen a big difference in how much we spend at the gas station.

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

Insomniac:

My buddy and I have started carpooling with each other whenever possible, and already we've seen a big difference in how much we spend at the gas station.

This is the normal and sane response to price increases, using less of the product or service in question. Hopefully, more people will take this sensible approach rather than throwing ineffectual tantrums in the hope of somehow harming the provider of the goods they depend on.

• BrentR
    BrentR

Gas is still cheaper then bottled water and I get a whole lot more from a gallon of gas then water. I don't see anyone protesting the cost of bottled water. If I don't like buying bottled water I can settle for tap water but I can not get gas to come out of my faucet.

I drive 60 miles round trip to my office which burns 1.75 gallons of gas. That is about $8 to go 60 miles in comfort, rain or shine uphill or down. It still beats walking or riding a bike.

We have to keep everything in perspective.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

This is great news for the oil companies! Since they've been forwarned, they'll be sure to jack up the prices on the 13th! Everyone filling up before and after the 15th will now pay even more!

I recently moved downtown, so now I walk to work instead of wasting my money on gas or public transit.

W

• undercover
    undercover

We Americans are so spoiled. We seem to feel that cheap gas is a Constitional right or something.

It is an inherited thing though. Our parents and grandparents created the car culture that we grew up with and we know nothing about hard times, economic depression or fuel rationing during war.

And now the cost of our gluttonous ways are catching up to us and instead of finding ways to reduce our dependance on oil we bitch and whine about the costs and how its taking money out of our pocket. Money that we probably would have spent on some trivial something.

Americans have more disposable income now than ever. The downside to that is that we have not learned how to manage our money. Easy come, easy go. If hard times, real hard times were to hit, many of us would be in serious, serious trouble.

I saw an article the other day that showed that Americans spend less on gas now than in the early 80's, when you take in the rise in income verses the inflation rate of gas prices.

• John Doe
    John Doe
    Gas is still cheaper then bottled water and I get a whole lot more from a gallon of gas then water.

Not so. I pay $.58/gallon for my bottled water.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit