USA - Don't Pump Gas on May 15th.

by onlycurious 21 Replies latest jw friends

• onlycurious
    onlycurious

On May 15th 2007, all Internet users are to not go to a gas station in protest of high gas prices. Gas is now over $3.00 a gallon in most places.

There are 73,000,000+ American members currently on the Internet network, and the average car takes about 30 to 50 dollars to fill up.

If all users did not go to the pump on the 15th, it would take $2,292,000,000.00 (that's almost 3 BILLION) out of the oil companies pockets for just one day, so please do not go to the gas station on May 15th and lets try to put a dent in the Middle Eastern oil industry for at least one day.

If you agree (which I cant see why you wouldn't) resend this to all your contact list. With it saying, ''Don't pump gas on May 15th"

• heathen
    heathen

Yah but they'd only make up for it on the 16th . Don't think it will make a difference.

• RichieRich
    RichieRich

http://www.snopes.com/politics/gasoline/nogas.asp

How about all the internet users go listen to a seminar on economics on May 15.

• Arthur
    Arthur

The price of gas is mostly influenced by supply-and-demand, and OPEC; not the U.S. refiners. This scheme would be like protesting the skyrocketing price of beef cattle by not going into McDonald's on the 15th.

• onlycurious
    onlycurious

I've been told there is a distinct difference between the East Coast and the West Coast.

On the East Coast you will find professional people riding the buses. Lawyers, Doctors, Realtors, CPA's, etc....all ride the buses as a common form of transportation.

On the West Coast, we call it the Loser Cruiser. Those who can't afford a vehicle ride the bus.

I have been contemplating riding the bus periodically this summer to take my children and I into town rather than driving the Expedition. It might be an interesting experience for all of us and it will save some money and miles on my truck.

• free2beme
    free2beme

This urban legend joke passes around each year.

• Arthur
    Arthur
    On the East Coast you will find professional people riding the buses. Lawyers, Doctors, Realtors, CPA's, etc....all ride the buses as a common form of transportation.

When I lived at Brooklyn Bethel, I was impressed at how easy it was to get around the NY and NJ area simply by taking the subways. It's a great public transit system they have there.

Not so here in Los Angeles. The area was built up with virtually no public transit in mind. To this day, public transit is scant. That coupled with the fact that the area is so geographically huge; makes public transit totally impractical for most commuters. I wish they would have developed more rail transit. I would have taken advantage of it.

• bisous
    bisous

That is the price we pay (and frankly very low in comparison to many other countries) for the type of vehicles we continue to insist upon driving; and our dependence upon oil-related vehicles. We respond en masse to the auto manufacturers products. We (as in the consumer) are in large part responsible for our consumption and its price. It is about time we paid our fair share.

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident

So all the people who don't get gas on the 15th are going to get gas on the 16th and the oil companies will get twice as much money on the 16th. Me thinks they are rich enough to wait a day for their funds (I just took a course in economics!) Also, many people might need to get gas on the 15th because their tanks are completely out and they have to get to work. You don't really think anyone would risk their job for this do you? So all that would accomplish is to make everyone wait twice as long in line on the 16th.

I was just in the States. I filled up. Yippee! Gas is over 4 dollars a gallon in Canada. Clothes and shoes were so much cheaper there too. Almost made me wish I was a yankee. And your dollar is worth more. (Not for long, from what I learned in Economics) I hear gas is even more in Europe. It's all relative isn't it? One country's outrageous price is another country's bargain.

Cog (not feeling too sorry for the yanks, yet)

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

The better idea is not to buy ANY gas from Exxon/Mobil, the largest oil company in the U.S. .. just go to their competitor. If they just lost 20 percent in sales, it would start a price war and we would see the price go down. We're at the highest prices at the pump ($3.49), but not the highest prices for a barrel of oil.... someones getting rich off of us.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit