Wife willing to leave the DC early on Sunday.

by OnTheWayOut 17 Replies latest jw friends

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

You all know I post every JW thing that happens to me. So here it is.

We had booked an airline to go to the 3-Day Convention this Summer.
    DC's for many foreign languages are held in Jersey City, NJ. The return
    flight was scheduled for Sunday evening well after the convention ended.
    The airline cancelled that flight and put us on an earlier flight. I called
    the airline saying this wouldn't work, cancelled the reservation and went
    to another airline. Well, it happened again. The other airline did the same
    thing.

I told the wife that we could spend a whole lot more money and stay another
    day, but we could not get back on Sunday evening later than 6 PM, meaning
    we would need to leave Jersey City by 3 PM. She agreed to leaving earlier
    on Sunday instead of staying the extra day.

For those of you who are pitying me for having to go to the convention, she
    already knows that I had arranged to go with her, but I am actually not going
    inside for the convention. I will probably go into Manhattan on Friday and
    Saturday, just enjoying the break in routine. Once I decided not to attend
    the meetings anymore, I stuck with that. I am not saying I will never go to
    a meeting, but there would have to be a good reason.

I wasn't going to rent a car, but with this tight schedule, and the opportunity to
    enjoy NYC, I might change my mind.

• mjarka911
    mjarka911

Hello OTWO

Come to think of it - I beleive you've mentioned before how educated she is. Maybe you can plan a visit to a natural history museum with a focus on the absurdist biblical dates.

Matt

• betterdaze
    betterdaze

Kudos to your wife for being so, well.... "reasonable!"

Actually, the Museum of Natural History just unveiled a permanent exhibition on human origins. May not be your cup of tea, but the dinos, butterfly conservatory and planetarium are well worth the visit.

http://www.amnh.org/

The Metropolitan Museum of Art is open late until 9:00 p.m. on Fridays and Saturdays, too.

http://www.metmuseum.org/home.asp

You don't say which side of the Hudson you're staying on, but Jersey City has public trans into Manhattan (the Stanley Assembly Hall is located right at the transportation hub, Journal Square). Parking in Manhattan is *so* expensive... may want to park at the assembly and take a bus or train into the city instead?

Hope you both enjoy your trip!

~Sue

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

OTWO

Maybe you could stop by the Brooklyn offices and ask to see the UN library card. That would be interesting.

Jeff

• themonster123
    themonster123

Yeah, you guys should go visit this really cool place called Brooklyn Bethel. Did you know they give free tours to the public? ....Just something to think about.

• Open mind
    Open mind

Hello OTWO, That's a nice bit of good news about your wife's "reasonableness". I'm here to celebrate every little bit of hope, and commiserate on her "loyal-dub" days. I truly feel your pain, brother. Wouldn't it be great if there was just an "enlightenment" pill you could give them? About the only good thing I used to be able to say about Bethel was that it was in NYC. Looks like those days may be numbered with the flight to upstate. Hey! I just noticed how similar the words "upstate" and "apostate" are. Sorry. Just a little "flow of consciousness" writing there. (2 glasses of Chardonnay so far) :) Enjoy your time in the City That Never Sleeps! Open Mind

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

If you want some cool info on NYC restaurants and other places-of-interest in addition to the great suggestions already given, feel free to pm me OTWO.

Nvr

• lrkr
    lrkr

They usually have live jazz at the AMNH on Fridays and live music at the Met on Friday and Saturday evenings.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    Wouldn't it be great if there was just an "enlightenment" pill you could give them?

I wish I had that pill 20 years ago. Is that the red pill or the blue pill?

Good suggestion, Jeff. I've been to Bethel, it's been more than 15 years.
    When I first heard about Bethel, I knew I never wanted to work there,
    it sounded way to institutional, like the military, without the guns.
    When I visited with my wife, I knew I would never apply. Some of our
    dubby elders thought we could apply as missionaries. I never had any
    goal like that either. Even going to foreign language was just to appease
    the wife as I was settling into my doubts- they were real doubts then.

I have been to NYC before, but it's rare that I have time to kill. We are
    staying fairly close to Newark Airport.

Thanks all for your support.

• Alligator Wisdom
    Alligator Wisdom

Thanks for keeping us updated on your steps out. Mentioning your personal dilemma with your wife is what I am relating to. My wife has become far more reasonable over the past two years. I can get her to agree with me to skip a meeting together here and there for odd reasons. I know it's not alot, but it is a change.

I'm sure that there are many infrequent posters like me along with lurkers that appreciate you documenting your way out. You are helping many without even knowing it. By the way and sorry for the late reply, but your UN-dedication ceremony was very fitting!

Alligator Wisdom (aka Brother NOT Exerting Vigorously)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit