Why We Can Hope for the End of the Watchtower

by metatron 43 Replies latest jw friends

• M.J.
    M.J.
    Take away the material aspects, and you still have millions of people who have an absolute emotional investment in it's ideology.

I agree...to a point. But think also of the constant heavy-duty web of indoctrination that is required to keep the adherents locked into their artificial construct of reality. The WTS takes pains to ensure that JWs aren't away from the "food" for more than a few days on average. Any weakening of this structure will have an effect. Not on all, but definitely on many.

Many will awaken from the haze.

• sf
    sf

Thank You

metatron

More importantly, thank YOU.

sKally

• Old Goat
    Old Goat

This won't end the Watch Tower Society. ... But, I'm pleased that they have to pay. I sat on a very complex case where a man sexually abused his daughter. The wife was complicit. It was nasty, emotionally draining and upsetting. I think we handled it fairly well, given the restrictions placed on elder bodies. The silly laws of this state and the firm word of the District Overseer prevented from calling the police. The decision from the District Overseer was that we could not proceed against the blameworthy mother, nor could we call the police on our own. That is the one thing I regret. I protested, but unfortunately did nothing more. Our laws have changed, and today I would get on the phone and call CPS. We got the daughter out of the house. She declined to call the authorities.

I can think of other cases handled very poorly. Those elders and the Society when they abetted them should pay, and pay hugely. If "The Society" puts untrained men in the position of counselors, then they are responsible for their failings. You elders and ex-elders out there: Did you ever feel adequately trained? In what way? Kingdom Ministry School is a joke. It does not train elders effectively or in those areas where they need it. When someone asked me if I would say that "theocratic training" was the equivalent of college, I laughed. It's not. It's not even close.

Jehovah's Witnesses will never be much more than a cult made up of the under-educated, unthinking, and self-centered until they provide real education to those they place in authority. I know this isn't a fix-all. It would be an effective first step. Those old guys who call themselves the Governing Body need to more clearly define the purpose of a judicial committee in scriptural terms. And for the sake of the brothers, make clear that a congregation elder or elder body does not stand in the place of secular authority. You do not lose your civil rights when you walk through the Kingdom Hall door unless you voluntarily surrender them. And what fool would do that?

My heart aches for those hurt by stupid elders. Ultimately the responsibility rests on the Governing Body. I want a new one! Made up of educated, spiritual men who aren't mysteries in their personal lives.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I am encouraged by the coming real estate crash. With all the subprime loan defaults, property values are going to go down, and possibly rather sharply. Even the ritzy property that the Watchtower Society holds is going to be affected to some degree.

With the property values down, they have only a finite amount of property to sell. And once that is gone, I don't know what they are going to do when all the pedophile and abuse suits hit them all at once. It looks like they are about to receive a balloon to pay, and I don't see how Nigeria is going to bail them out when this balloon comes due. If anything, donations in the USA are going to fall as people look at www.silentlambs.org and refuse to donate, or look at www.sixscreensofthewatchtower.com and refuse to even come into this crooked organization at all. Either way, they are going to get hit, and I'm not going to pay them even one penny.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit