Been "worldly" for 4 months now

by themonster123 25 Replies latest jw friends

• jgnat
    jgnat

Some of my favorite bits of advice:

Quandry: Here is some motherly advise. You are going to dangerous places.
    LeslieV: There are very good men in this world, but you have to think were you would meet them. I do not believe hangin at bars is always it. Do you like to ride bikes, rollerblade, go to the library? Also, I have meet so many men by doing charity work.

like there's a hole in my heart. I feel a shallowness that fills me-there's not that deep warmth and purpose and strong core I felt as a Witness

Lots of people live shallow lives. I'm not sure if they are happy. I don't think our current (consumer-driven) lifestyle is the greatest. We have lots of wealth, food, security. But what is really worthwile in this life? I agree, flitting across the surface leaves one hollow and purposeless.You don't have to take the pre-packaged Witness message to have purpose. Make your own.

If you are like me and need more than that, spend some time doing some deep thinking and reading. Maybe take an evening class in philosophy. Join a charity. Start a charity. Journal your thoughts.

Who knows? You might meet a different class of guy doing these things, too.

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

you have received some good advice. I have one more piece of advice. Read "The Gift of Fear." It's a kind of scary book, because it's written by someone who deals with stalkers and crazy people all the time, but in the book the author gives you a list of ten or so behaviors to look for that are signs someone can't be trusted. If you just learn those signs and start noticing how people behave you will become more worldly wise and less naive and vulnerable.

stay out of bars. Not only do you meet people who hang out in bars, you are also more vulnerable there. Hang out with your brother, meet his friends, go out with friends from work, do volunteer work, all good ideas.

Stop thinking of other people as "immoral" because they don't live by your standards. It's a little hypocritical, since you admit behaving like that yourself when you feel like it. Develop the ability to live and let live.

I had to edit this when I read it - it sounds a little unfriendly and that isn't how I feel at all. I remember when I had to start all over and find new friends because I had left all the JW friends behind. I know how you feel and I sympathize.

• RichieRich
    RichieRich

A few things to consider:

The world is real life.

In real life, there's wars and sickness and serial killers.

So be careful out there.

Swat before you squat.

Don't crap where you eat.

Don't bite the hand that feeds you.

Leaves of three don't get on thee

and black on red will kill you dead.

Make people earn your trust, and your friendship.

• greendawn
    greendawn

Depending on what you want from life you should focus on the right people that correspond to it. There are all sorts of people in the world many better than the average JW. There is no need to associate with twisted malicious people.

• themonster123
    themonster123

Wow- I wanted to thank everyone for all the fantastic feedback. and I did want to clarify a few things-I didn't walk into some random bar alone- I went to Dave and Busters with my girlfriend and a couple other people I ALREADY know and i met some OTHER new people (which is where the crazy do-anything-for-money guy came along).

And as for that guy I dated, I didn't meet HIM at a bar. I saw his small band play at some cute little coffee shop and that's how we met, no alcohol involved. Just wanted to clarify....

And thanks everyone for all the good advice and being empathetic about my new Life.:)

• Handsome Dan
    Handsome Dan

Welcome monster.......always seek truth goodness and knowledge and happiness will follow

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit