One more newbie, yeiks!

by wings 26 Replies latest jw friends

• wings
    wings

My story as a witness follows much of a 'dumb and dumber' sort of path. I get to be both dumb, and dumber, of course. What drove me to post on this site was sheer despiration. End of the rode, end of my rope, hit the wall, bababababa, hide all the guns, despiration.

I started allowing myself to research this other side we all know well as apostate about a week ago. I have since spent a ridiculous amount of time reading articles, and experiences, and anything and everything. For the first time in years I feel like I have a direction. Dare I say, hope. Hope I might actually get a life of my own again, a life at all. The answer is so obvious. I need to disassoiate. Have to. I'll explain why later.

My mother-in-law use to say I came in through the back door (married a disfellowshiped witness). I was never courted by them, nor was I ever exposed to much except the guts and gore of witness politics. I married a third generation witness, who even though he was disfellowshiped at the time, he was always very saturated in everything to do with the "truth". He was only out for 8 months, and has been on the straight and narrow ever since. He was raised by some of the most self-righteouses people I hope I will ever have to know. Anyway, the dumb piece comes in when I got baptised two years later in 1994, and the dumber piece fits just about every day after that. Even though I was trying to be sincere. Sometimes I think I did it just to show them I wasn't the pagen they all thought I was.

The scars that I am left with are signifigant. Mostly having to do what I let happen to my kids, and my step kids (three of each). Those were rough years....lets just say I could never relate to the demonstrations at the assemblies. I never understood why they didn't want to interview me. After all I had survived major obsticals oppression, and still had six kids attending meetings and going out in service. I don't think it was ever pretty, but we did try to my ever lasting shame. We never fit the mold, not even close.

Four years ago my son became ill. Mentally. He dissappeared one day, and we got a call a week later from a trauma unit in another state. He had walked across an off ramp on a freeway and was hit by a car going 75mph. He lost a leg and an arm. He was seventeen. During the years that have followed, I have realized that there is no place in the witness society for suffering humanity. If you are not set up to preform in the system, then you are just there so others can show their forbarence. At a distance I might ad. My only real support during this time came from my non-witness family. My witness family was down right oppressive. They didn't understand mental illness, and if it wasn't in the publications then they didn't need to know. My son just needed to straighted up.

So, now I am raising my two granddaughters, 2 and 3. I also care for my aging parents. I have been inactive for three years and have been to about 6 meetings in the last three years. I have no friends (because I am not allowed), I don't associate because I know I would or should be dissfellowshiped for my attitude. The congregation think that I am just overwhelmed and can't manage meetings. My husband probably thinks my heart is bad, but still pretends I am going to get back. My silence has let him believe it.

NO MORE. My grandkids won't know this life. That is where you guys come in. I need help getting from this playing dead place to actually saying it outloud. I am sure you know what a step this is towards that. Thank you for listening. I won't be this long winded in the future.

• dmouse
    dmouse

People are busy typing...

But let me welcome you to the board. From what you write, it's been a tough ride and I feel for you. I would advise you not to rush into anything, and don't let anger eat into you and destroy the good in you. That way they also win.

Read, ponder, forgive, protect.

• DJK
    DJK

Hello Wings;

Welcome to the JWD. You'll find many friends here and get many answers. I'm sorry to hear about your son. You'll also find this forum addicting, so enjoy.

• snowbird
    snowbird

Wings,

Welcome! My first post was on 5-2-07, so I'm as new as you are. You have come to the right place. My story is similar to yours. Mounting personal problems, and no one to turn to for comfort. I suffered a breakdown in 2005 because of trying to do it all. Finally, I just refused to go to another meeting or assembly. That was the best thing I could have done. Now, I have got to work on getting my daughter out. Keep coming back here and venting. There will be no one to pass judgment on you. Plenty of sympathetic ears---even a bit of humor now and then!!! Keep the faith, baby.

Snowbird

• J-ex-W
    J-ex-W

wings---------------------- Welcome!

I won't be this long winded in the future.

Long-winded is A-OK.... Goodness knows voices have been silent regarding WTS stuff long enough............!

I have realized that there is no place in the witness society for suffering humanity. If you are not set up to preform in the system, then you are just there so others can show their forbarence. At a distance I might ad. My only real support during this time came from my non-witness family. My witness family was down right oppressive. They didn't understand mental illness, and if it wasn't in the publications then they didn't need to know. My son just needed to straighted up.

Ahhhh...buck up!! They react this way over physical ills too....especially ones that are hard to understand. Oh--and abuse...let's not forget about the overwhelming UNDERwhelming JW response to abuse...!

(Kidding about the 'buck up' part.) I totally know what you mean about the above. Unfortunately, too many of us--and of those still on the 'inside'--do also. We look forward to hearing more from you and expect there a mutual exchange of encouragement here....

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

Wings,

What a story you have told and told well. My heart goes out to you for your struggle with your poor son. In the JW world, real problems such as yours make them uncomfortable. The WTS doesn't acknowledge that we are all different, with different strengths and weaknesses and circumstances. One size fits all.

You are on the right track as far as wanting to open up to someone about your beliefs and your research. I'm sure at times you want to shout it from the rooftops! "I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!"

This site has lots to share about fading, family and future. But you are the only one who knows what you need to do to survive and what the impact will be on your relationships, your finances, your children and grandchildren, etc. You certainly will have a lot of support here.

Let freedom ring.......

BB

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

Dear wings,

Welcome to the Board. I want to say that I believe you have gone deep within yourself and found and felt what love really is. Im glad you are here and type away!

purps

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Welcome, welcome.
    You can DA and walk away, but about those kids. How many of the kids and step-kids are
    believing JW's. Does your husband go to most meetings? Does anyone take the grandkids?

How will your DA help these others or hurt these others? Most people here will be all for helping
    that situation, but those questions will allow them to help better.

• free2think
    free2think

Welcome to the board Wings, I'm so sorry about your families suffering, especially your son. How is he doing now?

During the years that have followed, I have realized that there is no place in the witness society for suffering humanity.

I can totally relate to this sentiment, I feel the same way. I have been chronically ill for most of my life and as if that wasn't enough I had to deal with the isolation and lack of support from my 'loving' congregation. I'm glad you are coming out of the borg now and that you at least have a great support network from your real family.

• mrchuffster
    mrchuffster

Hi Wings

Welcome aboard, you're in good company, a lot of us have crapped on from a large height by this 'loving organisation' so don't feel so bad. We were all dumb for allowing it to happen to us. I find that the more distance I put between myself and the organisation the better I feel, I think you'll find that is a common thread, the hardest part is making the desicion to leave. I wish you well on you're journey to peace and happiness, you sound like a great and caring lady. Best wishes and a speedy recovery to your son.

MR c.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit