JWs, Higher Education and Misrepresentation by Barb Anderson

by Dogpatch 34 Replies latest jw friends

• greendawn
    greendawn

The devious GB of the JWs doesn't want an educated class among its R&F because they can cause trouble, they see them as a thread because education sharpens the perceptive powers and they will be able to see through all their lies and manipulations, that's why they are trying so hard to deter young dubs from going to university.

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

The faithful sheep "baaah" with the confidence that only ignorance can bring.

GREAT WORK BARBARA & RANDY!!!!

Skeeter

• compound complex
    compound complex

Thanks, Randy -

I recall soon after arrival at Bethel I was a sort of "poster boy" at a circuit assembly. I was interviewed by J.D. about my giving up college and becoming a Witness. I worked hard through high school to get good grades, to be involved in a variety of extra-curricular activities, and to try for every available scholarship as we lived at near poverty level. My dream came true - acceptance at the school of my dreams and paid for through grants and scholarships. I was so proud and felt so spiritual when given the "privilege" of telling Bethel and others in attendance what I did for Jehovah. I wanted to influence others to give up the world and all its trappings, including higher education.
    Well, the tables have turned and I now fully support JW family and friends who are going to school and getting good jobs. I'm content at 60 years old to be an autodidact and do whatever I must to get by - Ray Franz and Ed Dunlap did it. So can I.
    Am I bitter? No. I still trust in the Lord to provide. But I have certainly become a realist!

Thank you again,

CoCo

• Roski
    Roski

I knew someone who studied law at the height of the 'no education' era. No sooner had this person graduated than the society was offering them the opportunity to 'be of assistance'. Not to mention the (at least one that I know of - in this case a CO) they sponsored through Uni for a law degree.

Also, as far as I know, one cannot become a qualified tradesperson through 'short courses' alone (perhaps this is not the case everwhere). A 4 year apprenticeship is needed...same time as most degrees.

Re the concept of 'making a name for oneself". I think this is telling. How many people engage in higher education for this reason. To me this simply indicates the society has issues with control.

• Pioneer Spit...oh, i mean Spirit
  • SirNose586
    SirNose586

Fantastic article, thanks Randy. That 2005 article pissed me off. Good to know that the Tower is up to it's old dirty tricks of misleading quotes. Especially telling was Harry Peloyan's quip that "it didn't matter what their words were, as long as they say what needs to be said."

Dirty, rotten scoundrels.

This will be nice ammunition.

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

I missed going to college also. I graduated in 71 and the big Armegeddon push was on.

I blame the Witnoids for my not getting an education. But I also blame my parents, they didnt give a damn. My father was not a witnoid and he allowed my mother to go to meetings as a form of controll. He was free on Friday nights Sunday mornings and Tuesday nights to cat around or whatever. My mother. I havent got words for her. What world was she living in? She didnt care. She let me and my brother be raised by a bookpublishing company. My non witnoid relatives tried to talk sense into her but she new better.

In defense of my mother,I'll offer this. I was born in 52, She became a witnoid in 53, There were only 3 chanels on tv on a little bitty black and white screen. And it went off the air at midnight. You had readers digest and Life and Look magazines. There was not a lot of information out there. The world was a cold place. And the witnoids offered a false hope, if you come to our sales meetings and sell our magazines you can live forever. You have to really be carefull around people who are full of crap and like to run their mouths.

So my mother was gulible and my father didnt care. He's dead now. I never allowed myself to get close to him or maybe it was the other way around. I am a very cold person toward both of my parents. My mothers not a witness now. Not for the past 10 or so years. But I cant bring myself to wish her a happy birthday, or x-mass or mothers day etc etc. She raised me in a cold world, I figure she can live in it for the rest of her life as far as I'm concerned. I'm not going to feel any different when she dies. My father died 4 years ago, and the only tear I shed was for my own mortality, I figure I got 20 years left. I was sorry that my parents didnt care. But it could have been worse. Maybe.

If I was an orphan, maybe I would have gotten an education unless I was adopted by witnoids.

• converser
    converser

bttt

• carla
    carla

btt

• jimbob
    jimbob

This has and always will be the one thing that has screwed more JW's, both current and former. This is why it is a cult. To deny somebody their right to an education without being looked down upon is completely WRONG!! This is why their young people leave in droves. But once I left the WT, I told myself I wasn't going to be left behind any longer. I've gone back to school and will finally graduate next month with a bachelor of science degree in accounting. So to all you old and stupid dumb asses back at Bethel, this one's for you.

................... .. .... /´ /)
    .................... ..,../¯ ..//
    .................... ..../... ./ /
    .................... ..,/¯ ..//
    .................... ./... ./ /
    ............./´¯/' ...'/´¯`•¸
    ........../'/.../... ./... ..../¨¯\
    ........('(...´(... ....... ,~/'...')
    .........\.......... ..... ..\/..../
    ..........''...\.... ..... . _.•´
    ............\....... ..... ..(
    ..............\..... ..... ...\