Who is more gullible?

by avidbiblereader 22 Replies latest jw friends

• prophecor
    prophecor

Those who rely on religion are to be regarded as the most gullible, Though I strongly believe that we require a feeding of God's word, The Bible from some reputable source, where that source is at this time is still a mystery to me. I try and acquire truth where I can. All denominations do not have the story straight, WTB&TS included, of course, yet there are many things that I believe they do have correct I.E., Hell and mankinds common grave, the dead are conscious of nothing, resurection to a new earth, the earth returned to God's original purpose. Everything else in the middle, it's all pretty much a crap shoot, as far as I can see. Other religions have also perked my ears up and gotten my attention. Baptist preachers have gotten me to see things from their perspective on many an occasion. Many from the tele-vangelist circles have caused me to rethink previously held beliefs.

As for those in the politcal spectrum, politics and dealing with those in office is a necessary evil. Without the rule of law and those required to make decisions for huge masses of individuals at one time is all a part of reality that would only produce anarchy, mass confusion and chaos, were it not there. It is a part of dealing humanely in this world, or about as humane as can be had for us in this western society. Government is required to ensure, to some extent, public safety, a ministry of a different sort when it pertains to helping those who truly can not help themselves. These individuals are persons we can see, touch and put our finger on when we need things accomplished in our lives. They can be guaranteed to seek out there own personal self interest, I don't know many in politics who do it because of love for thier fellowman. It's a lot about ego and seeking out self importance, but at least when they do it for selfish gain, they don't try to preach me into heaven while taking my bank account to the cleaners.

I'm very distrustful with regard to religion as it pertains to money, wealth, power and prominence, much of what those in high religious office are about. Pimps, preachers and hustlers. They all do thier job well. I cant tell the difference between the three in many cases. But I'd rather deal with a humanly crooked politician, than an alleged, divinely inspired wanna' be profit of the pulpit.

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

>>Well I appreciate your thoughts but don't you either put your trust in men or God? Dont you either put your hopes and wishes in one or the other?

I take it from your questions that you feel this way. It is one or the other. I don't see it that way. That sounds too black-and-white for me, surely there is some middle ground between those extremes?

Maybe it would help if I better understood what you mean by "put your trust in" something. When you say that, what do you mean?

I ask because I don't put my trust in anyone. Each person I meet shows themselves to be trustworthy to a lesser or greater extent in various slices of the world. For instance, I'm a lanky, geeky sort of guy. If I told you, "I'll protect you, trust me" you'd be a fool if you trusted me to do that. On the other hand if I told you I would take your money to the bank and deposit it for you, you really could trust me to do that. (No, really!)

A person might trust God to give him direction from the Bible. He might trust him implicitly. But I don't see why that would preclude him from trusting a certain political figure more than another. He would likely put a much greater level of trust in his god than in his politicians, but it wouldn't have to be either/or.

On the responsibility issue: Since you live under a government that gives you the right to vote, I would think you'd be as culpable for the outcome if you chose not to vote (casting an implicit vote for whoever wins) as you would be if you cast a vote. The only way you could relieve yourself of that responsibility would be to vote for whoever you thought was the least bad. Or you could play the "one vote doesn't matter" card and drop the whole thing.

I'm still not seeing this as a "gullibility" issue, though. Do you see it that way?

Dave

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

I think Bush era Republicans are the most gullible. No maybe their down right stupid.

I'm not a democrat.

I guess what ever keeps your sanity. Politics, you dont really get to vote on anything that matters, but they want you to think you do.

Religion, If you want to find comfort in religion you have to find one that isnt as quantifiable and measurably decietful as the witnesses. But that rules out all bible based religions and faith in Jesus. Or resign yourself that you are not going to use a portion of your brain, which-ever part deals with logic and perception.

Sorry to knock your faith in Jesus. But if you want someone to encourage your faith in a myth, you need to go to church. Churches specialize in spreading myths. Discussion boards expose myths and crooked politicians.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit