What is driving change at WTS? What is the GB? Has it failed the flock?

by yaddayadda 53 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

In my opinion, the greatest transgression of the Governing Body is its arrogant self-appointment as God's mouthpiece. All the hurt, damage, and sorrow follows from there.

Nvr

• 5go
    5go
    If the rumour is true that some GB members recently called for a change to the shunning policy then this is very telling in terms of what the future strategy of the GB will be:- change the product mix. Dump or drastically re-invent some dodgy teachings (the defective, out-of-date products) that are ruining the Company brand, or new customers will continue to dry up and the existing, loyal customers will leave in greater droves. It's simply good business sense, and that's what the GB is all about: good business.

What rumor ?

If anything they will make it worse.

• cyberdyne systems 101
    cyberdyne systems 101

What a fascinating discussion, and what a dilema for the GB, when their motive is more than dispensing truth to people. What authority do they really need to do that? But being human, it can only turn into a self admiring control power trip. I like the fact that to remove the doctrine/rules that drive people away will also undermine their power base. If they tighten their grip, the more that will slip through their fingers, if they relax that hand, people will walk knowing its easier to do so. I continue to watch the developments of the WTS, with interest.

CS 101

• metatron
    metatron

I don't see any need for any "new light" or change. Why do any of you think otherwise?

As long as they can keep on getting uncritical zombies into Kingdom Halls, why change anything?

Tell me what's putting any pressure on them ..... Or what pressure they "feel" , other than legal

or financial? Religion is not rational by nature so no amount of illogic makes any difference to people

who have abandoned reason, anyway.

metatron

• 5go
    5go
    IBM keeps laying off, but somehow remains a serious player on the corporate scene.

The only reason IBM does anything is the fact that it is a company no one ( in the government) wants to let die. If it wasn't for the government IBM would have long ago. Kind of like Lockheed it knows where the skeletons are burried so it gets special attention from certain eyes in the backrooms of the CIA and other intel agencies.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

The only reason IBM does anything is the fact that it is a company no one ( in the government) wants to let die. A if it wasn't for the government IBM would have long ago. Kind of like Lockheed it knows where the skeletons are burried.

I wasn't trying to say that they are No. 1 or anything like that. Just that they aren't ready to go away just
    because they are not No. 1

From Wikipedia:

Known through most of its recent history as the world's largest computer company, as of 2006, IBM has fallen to second behind Hewlett-Packard in total revenue (though not profit). With over 350,000 employees worldwide, IBM is the largest information technology employer in the world. IBM holds more patents than any other U.S. based technology company. [4] It has engineers and consultants in over 170 countries and IBM Research has eight laboratories worldwide. [5] IBM employees have earned three Nobel Prizes, four Turing Awards, five National Medals of Technology, and five National Medals of Science. [6] As a chip maker, IBM is among the Worldwide Top 20 Semiconductor Sales Leaders.

I hope they let WTS die, but my point was that many of these dinosaurs are still around and still use their power.

• 5go
    5go

I don't want to get off topic too much but the blunders they ( IBM ) have made would of put any other company under.

And you just pointed to what I was saying they have things ( mainly people and projects ) certain people would hate to get out ( or come under foreign control ) like Lockheed nearly did. Which really should have gone under but was purposely saved because of skunk works.

• Tuesday
    Tuesday
    Thought scenario: Imagine that the GB have admitted to themselves that the organisation is going off track and something seems to have gone wrong. They have hired you as a consultant (but you are also a believing JW) to analyse what is going wrong with the organisation. What questions would you ask? What would you (respectfully) report back to them?

Well if it's the convert deal I would have them send out an article applying the scripture about preaching saying "SOME to preach" and therefore make it unnecessary for everyone in the orginization to preach. Of course I would tell them to always encourage one to go preaching, but not make it a necessity anymore, and there would be a scriptural reason for that.

I would have them lighten the disfellowshipping policy if not abolish it all together based on the scriptural principles of the shepherd leaving the 99 to tend after the 1, and the prodigal son that was actually pointed out on here a few days ago. I'm sure there could be enough scriptural references to make this into an article.

I would cut the meetings down to 2 a week. I'd probably get rid of the ministry school and public talks all together. I would basically cut it down to Watchtower study and bookstudy. Both of which would be an hour/half hour.

I would abolish the "no part of the world" in regards to school sports and schooling. Especially regarding college because the more college graduates in your orginization the more money they'll have to contribute. The school sports, afterschool activities would be to ensure that it's not a miserable childhood for kids so that as they get older they'll be less bitter at missed opportunities and be more likely to stay in the orginization. I would also strongly encourage get-togethers for members, so there's an even stronger social network than before.

I would STRONGLY recommend the idea of a Christmas suppliment holiday like "Family Day". I would probably have it go right across the board.

I would make all the R rated movies and things like that concience matters.

I would abolish the Blood doctrine completely, many of the scriptural evidence would be found here.

Also I would even further generalize the generation, and just say that we are "in the times of the end" but not specify any date.

I think this would make the religion easier to live with and not make it anyone's entire life. It could easily become someone's entire life, but it would be an easier life and it would make the burden light I think. It would probably increase members because it was less of a burden not to mention probably get more disfellowshipped people to return.

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

"What change? Any change I think is forced on them by laws, lawyers, and lawsuits. Case in point, the rearrangement of the leadership a few years ago, the donation arrangement, and the completely bungled blood policy."

"There are no changes in their doctrine except those imposed by necessity as for example the meaning of the 1914 generation it was changed when it was obvious that it could no longer hold. On the blood issue they want to change but can not because it can blow them apart with too much bad publicity and numerous law suits. "

Money (or their fear of losing it) decides and dictates the MANY (bible teachings) opinions and policies that ARE the Watchtower. The "other" reasons for change is that TIME has run out on these ever having the possibilty of being "bible truths" so that have been FORCED to change these....ALL very humbly and apologetically, I might add.

"In one word: Control, control, control. Since the days of Rutherfraud, the leadership of this cult has become colder, harsher, mean spirited, and like an abusive mate, they they have an insane desire to control every aspect of your life. They don't give a rats ass if you're happy, sad, suffer from depression, are dying, screwed out of a pension, sexually abused, or commit suicide. The only two things they care about are money and control. "

Conrol-control-control-----three times for emphasis! And TRUE---it is OBVIOUS that this organization that "claims to LOVE" is run by the most cold-hearted and aloof "spiritual leaders" that say they represent Christ! Well....what MORE can we EXPECT from a publishing company that likes to pretend it is a religion?

• M.J.
    M.J.

They have some warped idea of a "spiritual legacy"

Is that sort of like "traditions of man"?

Again, at some point, perhaps through some biological human trait, the "preservation" of the established authority structure becomes even more important than the principles it was founded to maintain.

Very true. CTR's focus and fascination was on his Divine Plan. JFR's focus was on shoring up and validating WTS (his) authority...it's been been the same ever since.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit