Is there a JWD mindset?

by beginnersmind 17 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• beginnersmind
    beginnersmind

Not sure if this is the correct place to post this but i thought it would be better in here out of the choices. The title was to hopefully make you at least be interested in this post whereas the politically correct non generalised question might be "Is there a mindset of some on JWD?

A while back i was browsing the forums and 2 posts stood out. One was talking about the blood banning policy and that someone had read in a book that it came about purely as a publicity stunt. Now to me if that was true it would be huge and i think it would take some major concrete proof for me to believe it. The posts on the thread about this were in acceptance or positive of this information no questions asked and nobody raised any doubt. Another one the same day was about Michael Jackson and i think it was about going into a hospital or something and one of the very first posts was "where did you hear that"? "Whats your source?" etc ie doubting the post.

I asked myself why is it ones will not question something which if its the truth is a major thing and surely would need a lot of proof but on the other hand ones will question something of relatively little importance? Is it a mindset of more willing to accept negative info about the JW's? Im interested in the psychology of it all so if you have any thoughts on it please post. Please note im only asking a question which i asked myself and i find interesting not accusing everybody of this.

• cultswatter
    cultswatter

Hello

It depends to a great extent to what you percieve as "truth" . About 99% of JW doctine is lies and we JWDians prove that on a daily basis. Our negative tone stands out because WE JWDians are fighters of the true faith!!

• DJK
    DJK
    ones will question something of relatively little importance

You may separate topics by more/less importance. For others it may be a matter of interest.

• Tuesday
    Tuesday

I think I remember the post you're talking about but I remember someone saying that it was a publicity stunt more as opinion than something read in a book. I could say "Pope Benedict looks ugly" and no one here would say "Where's your source" because it's an opinion, but if I said "Brad Pitt died yesterday in a tragic accident involving a fishing hook and salami" everyone here would ask me where I heard that. If the post that you're referring to does say something about the JW policy involving blood being from a book then I'll say I'm shocked that no one called him on it. With a subject like "will you put mustard on a ham sandwich" if you get facts about the negative effects of the intermingling of mustard and ham within a day you'll have fact refuting such a claim.

• beginnersmind
    beginnersmind

cultswatter If it was fact that as you say 99% of JW doctine is lies then that in itself isnt proof that a piece of information is correct and the truth is it? Every single bit of information should be evaluated individually on its own merits is all im saying.

DJK This is a jehovahs witness discussion forum and the point that the blood policy was a publicity stunt i would have thought would have been high up the interest or impotance chart but i take your point.

Tuesday Of course you dont have to source if you give an opinion as the one with the opinion is the source but i take your point. It was a while ago that i read the post and your comment has refreshed my mind a bit. Maybe the actual phrase "publicity stunt" wasnt in the book but what was quoted from it was basically saying it was a publicity stunt and thats why that phrase was said. The book i think was Edmond C. Gruss - The Four Presidents of the Watch Tower Society.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

I think you would find all kinds here. Comparing any two threads can give you different results. You might want to check out Farkel's Berta & Bonnie thread which contained some controversial claims about Rutherford's life, partly based on information given by the nephew of the woman that Rutherford travelled with late in life. The thread took a life of its own as JDWers collectively sought out information that would verify or falsify the credibility of the claims...and that, I think, is the spirit of much of the forum: checking out and debating claims. For my part, I am just as much interested in debunking myths about JWs (such as the false claim that Russell was a child molester or that he expected the end to come in 1874) as I am about substantiating other more critical claims. I am not always right, but I like to find out what the truth of the matter is...

• Reefton Jack
    Reefton Jack

I don't know that "being more willing to accept negative publicity about the JWs" is entirely accurate.
    Speaking (admittedly!) for myself, it is more a case of nothing would surprise me anymore about the JWs.

As for believing everything written about the JWs, the Japanese proverb comes to mind:
    "If you believe everything that you read, then it is about time you gave up reading altogether!"

Jack.

• greendawn
    greendawn

On the JWD there is a mindset for seeing only the bad things in the JWs and anything good gets filtered out. It would be better if there were JWs here to argue their own case but they tend to get chased away by everyone when they appear there are people here that do not want to tolerate them because of the traumatic experiences they had due to the WTS.

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

"Speaking (admittedly!) for myself, it is more a case of nothing would surprise me anymore about the JWs. "

I agree with that. I also have to admit that I am not really interested in what any JW has to say to defend the religion. As far as I am concerned that conversation is closed, as I spent 32 years in that org. and was a diligent little bible scholar most of that time. I don't have to keep getting hit over the head to realize I really hate this religion.

However, there is a difference between lack of interest and actively driving folks away. I don't click on lots of posts, if I think they are likely to be arguing the Bible, just not interested. But when I do read a post I disagree with, I don't mind saying so.

Insofar as many folks posting here have had personal experience with the WTBTS, they may agree with me that they don't want to hear it any more.

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

or how about "we're mad as hell and we're not going to take it any more!"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit