Is there a JWD mindset?

by beginnersmind 17 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Is there a JWD MindSet???...Not that I`ve ever seen..Everybody is just too different..But..There are plenty of DimWits that would like to argue otherwise...OUTLAW

• beginnersmind
    beginnersmind

Thanks again for all your replies.

Leolaia i know what you mean about comparing any two threads giving different results. I know to have been more accurate the same people should have posted in both threads but that would have been very unlikely. I guess i was just making an observation from those two threads and throwing it out in a general way. Not scientific but i thought an interesting question to ask what others felt about it.

Reefton Jack good proverb. I think i read that in a former post of yours with another one that escapes me at the minute.

greendawn thanks for your observation. I think if there were more JW's here to argue their case from what ive observed that is what the discussion would end up being an argument.

Outlaw so anybody who doesnt agree with you is a dimwit? lol you sure you havent carried anything over from JW's assuming that you were one and arent anymore?

Hortensia picking up on what you said in your first paragraph was kind of also in my mind when i posed the question.

Just to be a bit clearer on what i was asking. Obviously everyone is different but as a fairly high percentage on here are ex-JW's and carry over a negative experience (baggage) some to a higher degree than others and even hatred for the religion, they share something in common. From a psychological point of view wouldnt that make them more likely to accept negative info about JW's and "filter out" (quoted from Greendawn) any positive info therefore having a particular mindset even if it is a general one? I wasnt stating an opinion on wether i think this is good or bad just purely from psychological viewpoint. Maybe if i asked the question in a general way and changed JW to some other religion/cult therefore removing any baggage and it being about 'me' i might get a different viewpoint from some?

I think its only fair to give a brief description of my 'baggage'. In the 'truth' for a number of decades. Didnt fade just stopped going some months ago and havent been to a meeting since. I dont know wether that makes me just an inactive JW or an ex-JW as ive not ben disfellowshipped or disassociated. I dont carry any hatred or bitterness but i dont know wether that will change or not in the future.

• jgnat
    jgnat

If there's any mindset, I'd say there's a fairly strong filter for BS here on JWD. False information or personal agendas (such as the ongoing attempt to find a Mason connection, for instance) is not tolerated.

Obviously everyone is different but as a fairly high percentage on here are ex-JW's and carry over a negative experience (baggage) some to a higher degree than others and even hatred for the religion, they share something in common. From a psychological point of view wouldnt that make them more likely to accept negative info about JW's and "filter out" (quoted from Greendawn) any positive info

Even though there's a "fairly high percentage...ex-JW's", I'm not. I fit in quite well here, though my interests and perspective are a little different. I think there's a greater insistence on intellectual integrity on this discussion forum that is quite rare on the 'net. For comparison, check out this forum. www.christianforums.com I tried joining in on a couple discussions, briefly, the last time JWD was down. I couldn't. The discussions are just too...too...airy.

For a lighter look a the "JWD Mindset", read this spoof by Hillary Step. http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/35001/1.ashx

Farkel's thread on Berta and Bonnie http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/11/77915/1.ashx

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

>>From a psychological point of view wouldnt that make them more likely to accept negative info about JW's and "filter out" (quoted from Greendawn) any positive info therefore having a particular mindset even if it is a general one?

I think we have to admit to ourselves that because of our experience with the Watchtower, we ARE more likely to accept negative info. With that awareness safely hauled out into the open, we can be more careful not to blindly accept anything negative and at least TRY to apply critical thinking to even the opinions we're prone to agree with.

Every month or two, a thread pops up about "subliminal images" in the Watchtower publications. This, I think, is a good example of folks that are too willing to see bad, overpowering their critical thinking.

In my own case, I was pretty convinced that the Christian congregation from the first century would have surpassed the 144,000 mark, rendering the whole JW concept of modern-day annointed ones impossible. But posters here on JWD -- despite that being a tantalizing idea -- were able to show that it wasn't necessarily the case. I hated to let that one go, but it's better to be wrong and know it, than to wear blinders and assume I'm right.

Dave

• LeslieV
    LeslieV

For many people visiting ex-JW support boards the JW religion was abusive. That is like asking a person that was abused by a trusted individual in their life, if the abuse lead to anything positive. Depending on who you are, where you are in the healing process, how you have intregrated the abuse in your life, will determine the answer to that question. That is why even here you will find those that hate the JW religion, those that really are tolerant, those that even asking the question is a flashback.

For myself, I hate the cult and the years it took of my life, but I also have positive things that I now enjoy that I learned in the cult. Surely I would not do what I do for a living, had it not been the education of learning to speak to to others, etc. JMO

Leslie

• beginnersmind
    beginnersmind

Thanks for the recent posts and also for those thread links much appreciated.

• Carmel
    Carmel

The question is a fair one, but the evidence is anicdotal and pretty thin at best!

carmel

• free2beme
    free2beme

Just depends on how well your dealing with the exit. Some want to find more reasons to accept the exit and some, like myself, really does not care. At the same time, I do not see all negatives as true, and understand the power of rumor.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit