Fe2O3Girl's Race For Life run

by Scully 27 Replies latest social physical

• Fe2O3Girl
    Fe2O3Girl

Well after rushing around like a blue-bottomed fly on Sunday morning getting ready for the race, we got stopped by marshals a couple of miles from the venue and turned back - the event has been postponed due to bad weather and safety issues on the course! Gutted!! I popped out and ran my 5K course from home later as I was already kitted up.

The race has been rescheduled for July 28th.

On the downside, this means that my friend who was doing the race with me won't be able to participate because she already has plans for that day. On the upside, it gives me another four weeks to train, and more importantly to get sponsorship. The most important thing is raising funds for the lifesaving work of Cancer Research UK - if I don't get sponsorship, I may as well not have done this.

Rachel

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

Never mind Rachel - like you say, it gives you more time to train and get extra sponsors. The amount you raise doesn't matter, every penny counts so don't feel discouraged if your contribution doesn't seem to be much :-)

Are you getting 'paper' sponsors as well as online? I know some of the folks my friend and me spoke with don't like doing the online stuff - and blimey, you have to jump through hoops to make donations through that site lol!! All for security of course but it can seem a bit daunting when it takes 10-15 minutes to do!

C'mon guys and gals - get sponsoring if you can!!!

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

bttt

• Fe2O3Girl
    Fe2O3Girl

The weather was lovely, not too warm, and there was plenty of shade along the course.

I managed to end up right at the back of the field, so I passed the start line about 3 minutes after the start of the race. I completed the 5K in 43 minutes, which I was really pleased about as it took ages to get past the walkers and get onto some clear road to jog.

Loads of people were lining the route to encourage us, which was lovely. Wonderful to be with 2000 other ladies all raising money to fight cancer.

I will upload some pictures later, showing my backsign - I chose to run for Ian, Dansk on JWD. As you know, Ian is currently in Christies undergoing stem cell treatment. If you want to sponsor me and help raise funds for research into treatments like this, please go to my fundraising page which is linked in Scully's first post on this topic.

So far I have £35 sponsorship from friends and family, and three JWD posters have sponsored me. Thanks so much for all your support! Can you help me raise some more?

Rachel

• Fe2O3Girl
    Fe2O3Girl

BTTT

• Fe2O3Girl
    Fe2O3Girl

BTTT

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

Well done Rachel and I'm glad the weather was good for you this time.

Didn't they split the runners from the walkers in your race? They did in ours - they made the laps so that runners and walkers didn't meet each other too. A good time for you considering the walkers in the way.

• Fe2O3Girl
    Fe2O3Girl

Hi emo!

Yes, the runners went off first. Because I knew I would be walking lots in between spurts of jogging, I stayed in with the walkers.

I got to read more back signs by starting right at the back and passing people! It is all good.

Rachel xx

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit