Did You Feel "Special" Being A Jehovah's Witness?

by minimus 21 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

I know a lot of people that believe they are "better" because they're Witnesses. What about you??

• FreedomFrog
    FreedomFrog

No...I felt trapped...even at the age of 7 when my parenst started studying.

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

I think many jws do feel special, especially those that aren't born in, and join as adults, as I did at the age of 21.

Unlike many cults, a prospective jw has to spend months or even years studying watchtower publications in order to learn how to become a jw, all the time being told that not everyone is able to do this, although the truth is not everyone is gullible enough to go through all that indoctrination. I was told that holy spirit had guided the jws to my door as jehovah knew my heart condition was right, so I would be able to learn his ways. I was made to feel as if I'd been chosen by jah himself, and that it was a great privilege to be allowed to join his only organisation on earth. That's bound to make anyone who falls for it feel special.

• journey-on
    journey-on

You feel special in the sense that you think you're part of God's chosen group and all the "inside language" that no one else understands makes you feel like you're "in the gang".

But, you also feel separate, alienated, weird, left out, fearful, and socially different. So you're kind of schizo, in a way!

• minimus
    minimus

You know you're "special" when you're the only one that can't eat a birthday cake or exchange a Christmas present. When you're by yourself in a room while everyone else is holiday partying in school. You know you're "special" at the ballgame when everyone else is standing for the national anthem and you're sitting. You know you're "special" when you don't recite the pledge of allegiance and you can't put your hand on your heart and fake it.

• BrentR
    BrentR

I just felt wierd and different and never fit in with the other kids. It did not help that I had a Nazi JW mom that took everything to farthest extreme.

• minimus
    minimus

A lot of losers become JWs and feel good about themselves. I guess it beats jail!

• Nowman
    Nowman

I felt like everyone else ("the worldy people") were normal, and we JWs were like the amish. I never wanted to tell anyone that I was a JW.

Nikki

• Brigid
    Brigid

no. I always felt quite embarrassed and still feel the tinge of color rise to my cheeks when the subject comes up among real people.

• mimimimi
    mimimimi

I was always very embarrassed by it and felt it made me less than other people. I would have preferred that no one ever know. I was raised as a JW and I would have loved to do what all the other kids were doing, celebrating holidays, going to school ball games and dances, and just basically being a normal person. I remember in grade school really wanting to color the holiday pictures everyone else got to color. I sure did not feel it made me special.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit