JW children - conditionally loved?

by Gregor 32 Replies latest social family

• trevor
    trevor

Children of the Witnesses are forbidden access to many of the self-esteem enhancing activities that are open to other children. They are brought up to believe that they are different and separate from the world. They do not fully integrate with their schoolmates or teachers, due to their resistance to being fully involved with the education process, and their training to avoid forming friendships with worldly people.

More so than other children, their main security comes from winning the approval of their parents. They find that to win this approval they must do whatever the Society and their parents tell them will win Jehovah God’s approval. I was told, by my own parents that if I ever left the religion they would never talk to me again. If I were to ever marry outside the religion the same penalty would apply. Although these threats are not always carried out, the Witness child grows up believing that the continuation of their whole world depends upon gaining their parents approval.

In addition to this pressure to conform, is the threat that God himself will kill the child, if he or she should go against their parent’s wishes. The child is also puzzled by the parent’s willingness to lose them in this way and often concludes that the parents do not love him or her. How can they threaten a child they love in this way, or say that the God they love may kill their child? As a child I concluded that I meant very little to my parents. Not all Witness parents act in this way. Those that do, say that they are practising a form of principled love for the child. Unfortunately children do not interpret threats of his kind as love. Nor as far as I know do most adults.

• Madame Quixote
    Madame Quixote

Trevor said they say:

. . . they are practising a form of principled love for the child . . .

when shunning or threatening them with everlasting whatever. Oh, yeah, they borrowed the "worldly" term, "tough love." However, they completely misunderstand and disabuse its power to heal.

When I read these posts, I feel validated in my decision to stay away from my family now. I was just feeling a bit ambivalent about it and was reminded by mimimimi's post how horrible my sister was treated and how I internalized the idea at a very young age that she somehow deserved it for not conforming enough, for being too argumentative, for being provocotive and disrespectful, etc., when what was really happening was black and white "splitting" behavior of my mother (and the Society's) teaching us that someone always had to be the bad child and another would be the golden child, etc.

As children, those concepts were also deeply, unconsciously and consciously internalized. They slam me in the face quite regularly, but with a lot less regularity than when I was enmeshed. Whenever I feel that sense of "disliking" someone for no apparent reason, or for some minor irritation or because they remind me of someone or something else, I can eventually come to a place that says, "this is splitting;" and ask, "what is good about this person, situation, etc. But it is very, very hard to do because so much of it is deeply unconscious; that unconscious sense of unworthiness, self-loathing, jealousy, etc. is projected onto others and makes relating profoundly difficult and causes a great deal of depression and isolation, which can lead one to return to the abusive situation (be it cult or family or both).

As the oldest child, and as the one who most often in mid- to late-childhood was favored, I was essentially given permission to "lord it over" my little brother and sister as the great exemplar, "the example," etc. and so forth. It completely ruined our relationships, in my opinion, and I feel disgusted both with myself for falling into the trap, and more disgusted with the adults in the family for encouraging it. This pattern also happened with many of my cousins who seemed to be allowed to be more physically abusive of each other than we were.

The black and white thinking of the Society only reinforced damaging, bullying, isolating parenting behaviours of my father's mom/family and of my mom's splitting behaviours due to mental illness. For a long time as a child I understood it to be the way things are, whether I liked it or not. When I was 13 I was baptized (more people-pleasing behavior, a deeply-ingrained lifelong pattern for me), and I was disfellowshipped at 15 (cutting self off from others consciously and unconsciously also became a deeply ingrained pattern and I still struggle against it). During that period my sister vacillated back and forth for a couple of years about her belief system.

When she went away to college, I thought she was home free from the bonds of the Watchtower, but thanks to this thread, I now see that she was simply caught up in a desperate fight/conflict for her independence versus winning the approval of my parents (probably because she was not baptized and felt conflicted over losing her disfellowshipped sister and because she had been so often cast into the role of bad child (although we did occasionally switch roles; I was also referred to as the one leading her down the primrose path whenever we got into trouble - most remarkably as a toddler and then as a teen-ager). When I "rebelliously" left home for college and refused to return to Jehovah, she finally had the opportunity to totally outshine me and to finally be conditionally loved by my parents - to become the golden child, or at least the less-hated one.

Additionally, she too had deeply internalized a lot of the black and white beliefs of the Society and had not really begun to reject them as wholeheartedly as I had. For the longest time, I felt it as a personal betrayal (that she "returned to Jehovah"), because after years of fighting like cats and dogs, sister and I began to become allies and to eschew The Society during the last two years of my high school. My going away to college a year before her was more of a boon to her enmeshment than an inspiration, I am very, very sad to say.

Eventually she caved in, despite the fact that she was badly abused emotionally and physically by my mother and has been an active witness for years. During this time, my baby brother also experienced his share of being the golden child and of being deeply pressured to remain loyal to Jehovah, etc. He too caved in to the incessant need to please and I think he might also have a bit of OCD. He even remarked to me about how intense the pressure was for him, years ago when we were still speaking occasionally, though rarely because of the d'fing policies. My sister could only say to me of our abuse that "we could have had a worse childhood," something I would never dispute, but I can certainly see it could have been better.

-Teresa Nichols

• ex-nj-jw
    ex-nj-jw

I was told at age 13/14 that if I did not get baptized that I'd have to find somewhere else to live!!! So I got baptized

I really don't know my status, I guess they figured I da'd myself as I walked away at 18 and refused to meet with the elders. My dad would "counsel" me often saying I needed to make a choice, either be a witness or write a letter to the elders. My theory was it was obvious that I didn't want to be a JW, what the H*&& did I need to write a letter for??

The elders held no authority over me and I didn't fell I needed to answer to them.

nj

• Terry
    Terry

I don't think JW "love" is love at all. I think it is performance-oriented probationary approval. The standard of this approval isn't the character of the person, but rather; their behavior in relation to the policies of a society which demands mental subjugation.

Consequently, a moral person who is intelligent and loyal to their flesh and blood family isn't acceptable IF they demonstrate skepticism or a mind of their own.

I don't think common everyday feelings are allowed to play any part in the life of a Jehovah's Witness for a good reason. Love is a personal evaluation based on one's identity. Religious slaves have no identity other than the Group itself. Consequently, no personal love is possible.

• shateeter
    shateeter

This is exactly true. When I finally could'nt take the lying about being a JW just to please other people, I was totally harassed and stalked and threatened that they would disfellowship me even without me meeting with them, or I could write a letter. So I wrote the letter just so they'd leave me alone, and it was the worst thing I could have done! I live in an apartment complex full of JW's and they will not even look at me let alone speak to me. I realize these people are crazy, and don't follow the bible at all, because they are so judgemental, which the Bible talks about NOT being. I am very bitter about it, because my family has to hide when they talk to me, and kind of feel guilty talking to me anyways but still do, because I have a 5 month old baby. My father though will not talk to me at all, and the worst thing about it, is I am not even doing anything "wrong" by their standards. I just don't believe that they are Gods channel, and that alone makes me "bad". This is a very harmful cult and I feel like my family is being held hostage, and there is nothing I can do. Oh well, it's nice to get it off my chest. Thanks.

• ninja
    ninja

welcome shateeter....we are all in the same boat...grab an oar and row

• Gregor
    Gregor

Shateeter, your post choked me up. Unfortunately for you, JW's can be the coldest, cruelest people in the world. I hope your family can get some perspective and guts and be there for you and your precious baby.

• Terry
    Terry

Mark 2:16

NASB: When the scribes of the Pharisees saw that He was eating with the sinners and tax collectors, they said to His disciples, "Why is He eating and drinking with tax collectors and sinners?" (NASB ©1995)

Imagine that! Jesus was reviled for eating and drinking with sinners! Who was reviling him? The leaders of his own religion! Why were they putting Jesus down for eating and drinking with sinners? They did NOT understand Jesus or his ministry!

Nothing has changed today. JW's are modern day Pharisees.

• trevor
    trevor

Terry said:

I don't think JW "love" is love at all. I think it is performance-oriented probationary approval. The standard of this approval isn't the character of the person, but rather; their behavior in relation to the policies of a society which demands mental subjugation.

Consequently, a moral person who is intelligent and loyal to their flesh and blood family isn't acceptable IF they demonstrate skepticism or a mind of their own.

I don't think common everyday feelings are allowed to play any part in the life of a Jehovah's Witness for a good reason. Love is a personal evaluation based on one's identity. Religious slaves have no identity other than the Group itself. Consequently, no personal love is possible.

I saw this yesterday, printed it off and gave it to my wife.

She is struggling to understand how her parents can be so cold and unloving towards her. I am shunned by them but they are prepared to see her on their terms. That is without me and not too often. They will not visit her. I have told her that this is an abusive relationship and that accepting the terms is damaging to her. I have tried to explain that their version of love is based on the example their god shows. Obey me or die. Seeing someone else put this into words so eloquently may help her? trev
  • Wordly Andre
    Wordly Andre

I was never a baptized JW, they started on me at around 12 years old, my mom crying, guilt trips, brothers meeting me right outside my school taking me to all my friends homes, just to pass by them just so they can show me that these people will all be dead soon, when I finally at 15 told my parents I didn't want anything to do with JW's I was told I could have a room and a bed and food but nothing else, I think they thought I was just going through something, but when Memorial came and I refused to go, they got pissed, it all got worse from that point on, so at 17 I moved out, my dad told me never to come back. when I was 23 my dad passed away, the last thing in the hospital he told me was that I dissappointed him, and he would never forgive me for turning my back on Jehovah, and that if I didn't promise him at that moment to come back to the Truth then we had nothing further to say.

this past sunday I went to visit my dads grave, I told him I know I'm a big sinner in your eyes but I think I am the only one who still comes to see you and that I love you and forgive you.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit