What % of JW's think they will make it to the New System without dying?

by JH 21 Replies latest jw friends

• JH
    JH

When I joined some 20 years ago, I was 99% sure I'd make it alive and see the new system without dying, because they way they put it, the end was so close, and I was so young.

Today, if I was still going to meetings, I would say that I would be 20% sure of seeing the new sytem without dying first.

If you were still a JW, or if you still are going to meetings, what % would you say is your odds of making it to the new system without dying?

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

I am about your age JH, and I thought it was a foregone conclusion that I would live to see The New System.

I was amazed, when questioning other elders and friends about my doubts, to see how many nowadays are mentally preparing not to see The New System in their lifetime. At one time, as you correctly note, all but the very old were certain that they would see The Paradise without dying. Interesting topic.

Nvr

• 5go
    5go

I hope nearing 0%

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

This is speculation on my part, based on my experiences from a quarter-century ago...

I understand what you mean, but I think that each individual JW probably thinks along the line of,

"For me... I'm almost 100% certain I will live through Armageddon, but for YOU, I'm not so sure."

It would be great to get some input from presently active JWs. I think the appeal of Watchtowerism would really fall flat if the majority of rank-and-file Dubs realized that their personal chance of waltzing into the New World are 0.00%.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I think that a handful of those who have been JW's longer than 30 years believe they will
    live without dying. Perhaps 5 %. I can imagine over 50% of those in under 10 years,
    perhaps more, confident of never facing death. 1995 ended my confidence as it must
    have for many others. Some have regained that confidence by believing that things like
    Sept. 11th, increase of hurricanes and sunamis, any bad news, global warming, etc. are
    proofs that the end is near.

Those past 10 years or so, the percentage probably drops straightline from somewhere
    above 50% to somewhere near 5 % as the years add up.

I am confident that the end is not around the next corner.

• Brother Apostate
    Brother Apostate

Somewhere between:

0.00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001%

and

99.9999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999%

Exactly.

BA

• blondie
    blondie

I know quite a few JWs 90 and under and they are still hoping. Only the ones dying by inches in the hospital seem to have given up. No one wants to die.

Blondie

• Scully
    Scully

If they didn't think they had a chance of making it to the New System™, what would be the point of continuing to follow the JW lifestyle? If you die in This Old System of Things™, you'd be Resurrected™ anyway, right? If you knew that you would die on a certain day and time, and that it would be before Armageddon™ or The Great Tribulation™, you may as well make the most of the time you have left and party hardy.

I would think that most JWs believe that they will survive into the New System™ - otherwise there would be a lot more defections.

• Gordy
    Gordy

Over the years the number must change. The longer that Armageddon doesn't occur the less that think they will be alive when it happens.

We are getting on for 100 years since 1914, once a date for Armageddon. JW's must look back and think, the WT keeps saying the end will se here soon, the time is short etc etc. But still nothing.

My Eldest son, 32 this year, was born in October 1975. Yes, 1975! one of "those" years.

I remember a JW saying, after his birth,he would never go to school on "this system". Strange, I thought that the "system" was supposed to have ended this year, even by now.

Then when he did go to school, it became, the "system" would be ended by time he left school. (not to worry about his education them).

Today the older JW's those in there 60's to 80's or older, must be wondering what happened. Why no end?

Now the younger generation are planning for a future. Getting an education, jobs, careers, buying houses on 25 yr mortgages.

Or dare I say it even leaving the Watchtower.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

I get what most of you are saying about the current Witnesses not wanting to die and really hoping to see the "end of the present system of things". However I wish to reiterate, keep in mind I was an active elder only one year ago, that many in their 30s, 40s, 50s, and 60s have expressed to me that they may not see "it" in their lifetime.

I was amazed, when questioning other elders and friends about my doubts, to see how many nowadays are mentally preparing not to see The New System in their lifetime.

This, in my perception anyway, is a huge shift. It indicates that many stay in the org. because of the programming they receive, not because they see the "end" as imminent. They've simply been disappointed too many times. They're sticking to the "it's still the best way of life" ideology.

My 2 cents,

Nvr

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit