Since I left...

by RollerDave 20 Replies latest jw experiences

• RollerDave
    RollerDave

Since I Left...

So there I was, a disabled single dad bereft of all he had known or believed for 30 years.

I had moved a good 45 minutes away from the area where the events in my introductory post went down, but was now living in an area where I had resided some ten years earlier and still had a few stale connections with the organization.

I was lonely, depressed, pissed off, and really disgusted with the God I had been shown in my years of unfruitful association.

In my mind, he had made me the way I am, which apparently entailed being unable to meet His 'righteous requirements', and was going to kill me for it. He had endowed all of us with a natural human nature (apart from our fallen sinful nature,) and now expected us to conquer our every natural impulse or desire, even the healthy ones, to survive the Big A.

Hold off on marriage or kids, no college, no success, no normalcy... The Big A'll get ya if ya don't watch out!

So I railed against Him, defied him to just take me, do anything to show he even existed or had any power at all.

I went around saying 'God is an a$$h*le' and the like, but then I realized something that shook my world....

I was just as much a witness outside the organization as I had been inside!

By accepting their paradigm, and their concept of God, I was still playing out their belief system!

I gradually came to realize that I did not know God, and never had; but I realized I wanted to very badly.

I had been overdosed with structure, study, scriptures, requirements and religion in general, so I sought a more 'easy' way. I figured, God is supposed to be there for us if we only seek him, he's supposed to make life easier, not harder, so I will simply seek him and see what happens.

I lived in a handicapped building that took up one city block and was attached to another city block that was a public park. In the dead of night with the stars all spread out across the sky I would get on my power chair and make my way to the top of a little hill in the middle of this park, away from what I perceived as the 'interference' of all those other human minds stuffed with turmoil, and poured out my heart to the heavens.

I confessed my worthlessness, my inherent sinfulness, and the utter waste my life had been up to this point. I begged for guidance, wisdom, for faith. I pleaded for him to help me to be the kind of person I wanted to be, competent, just, reasonable, and strong. I marveled at the immensity of his creation and my insignificance within it, and the almost impossible realization I was coming to that he actually was there and cared about me!

I still had more questions than answers, but at least I had found God and that was a good start. I began by throwing out everything I had ever believed and starting new. If a belief had solid scriptural basis, I kept it. If it seemed to exist merely to enforce social isolation or buttress the society's usurped authority, out it went.

Birthdays, thanksgiving, 4th of July, and voting were in; Christmas, Easter, Halloween and organized religion were out.

And do you know what? The perpetual f**k-up I had been began to be replaced by someone who made better choices, someone who was a force to be reckoned with.

I seem to have put on a new personality, but not the WT drone one I used to aspire to.

My family and old associates seem to have noticed this and made efforts to regain me, thinking they could simultaneously make use of my newfound strength and competence and squash my irritating new independence if they could bring me back into their spiritual charnel house.

I'm not a dog, and have no particular appetite for vomit, so I declined.

About this time, I began feeling comfortable making small expressions of faith without a sick feeling I was simply echoing all of the lies I had ever heard. This was fairly threatening to my family, as it was separate from the control tower and thus suspect.

'Don't you still believe in the bible/Jehovah/the truth?' they would ask me.

I would respond, 'Of course I do, I just don't believe you have to be in the watchtower society's organization to do so'

At that point they would typically demonstrate the full depth of their condescension and trivialize the idea that an honest expression of faith is even possible without their mommy-dearest organization to provide a bad-housekeeping stamp of approval.

My little sister, a real zealot who never called me for years unless she needed something calls me up out of the blue making chitchat. It didn't take long for her to get down to brass tacks and a full-court press to determine my true views on all things spiritual.

I tried to be cagey, but lacked the sense to simply end the interrogation and was thus goaded for 45 minutes until I finally snapped at her that it wasn't the truth, and I owed NOTHING to the "sons o' bitches in Brooklyn or any of their toadies!"

Having finally gotten what she wanted, she got off the phone; she now had other calls to make.

It was years before any witness relative would have anything to do with me, but no real loss.

I did learn to simply refuse to discuss it and now have dealings with my mother and older sister by mutual agreement to avoid the subject.

They would LOVE to label me 'apostate' but I just dust off their own definition of the term and point out that as an unbaptized person, I supposedly have never had a relationship with Jehovah to 'turn away' from. It seems to shut them up.

All of this took place between 1997 and 2001 and it has settled down to a tolerable level with only occasional outbreaks of conversion attempts on the part of my mother, which I fend off with ease.

Recently I have actually felt the desire to read the bible again aside from researching a particular point of doctrine so I guess time really does heal all things

Once again, thank you for taking the time to read my tale, it really does help me to quantify it and see it in print, and the feedback is wonderful.

Roller

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I find your style of writing very captivating. Thanks for sharing.

• yaddayadda
    yaddayadda

Thanks for sharing and great to read your story. The biggest mission of all for a badly burnt ex-JW is often simply to retain their faith in God. Congratulations on doing that and go well with your continued journey of spiritual discovery.

• BFD
    BFD

Thank you for sharing your story, RollerDave. This part struck me like a ton of bricks.

was just as much a witness outside the organization as I had been inside!

By accepting their paradigm, and their concept of God, I was still playing out their belief system!

I gradually came to realize that I did not know God, and never had; but I realized I wanted to very badly.

I was like this for 30+ years. I never researched the borg or anything. banghead I was just waiting to die at armegeddon. Then I found JWD and recently have begun reading the bible for the first time. I can't say what if anything I believe but, I will eventually reach a conclusion as to whether or not I even believe there is a god. I want to believe in him, but he's not making it easy. Thanks again for sharing here.

BFD

• Locutus of Borg
    Locutus of Borg

RollerDave, great post, thank you.

you have a great style for writing. I enjoyed your post.

I went through alot of what you have been through. I haven't talked to my family still in the lie since I told my father that Samson was the first suicide bomber, and that I could not believe in the god of the old testament that made the violence in middle east today look like a friggin picnic in comparison.

I was lonely, depressed, pissed off, and really disgusted with the God I had been shown in my years of unfruitful association.

I tried to commit "suicide by Cop" in 1981. I would be dead if the Cop did not know me and understood a bit of what I was going through. He had every right to drop me in my tracks.

In my mind, he had made me the way I am, which apparently entailed being unable to meet His 'righteous requirements', and was going to kill me for it.

How much I agonized over the same things. I remember being 16 and convinced I was unsalvageable and had committed the unforgivable sin because I spanked the giant monkey twice in one week . .

I went around saying 'God is an a$$h*le'

I used to go out at night, look to the sky and say f**k you!

I have gotten over much of my anger and moved on. I have one brother, my youngest, who never bought into the lie that I have a pretty good relationship with. I have not talked to my father, or my other two brothers in 7 years. My Mom though, I think she knows it's a BS cult, calls me every week. She's not doing well and at 75 worn out, probably not long for this world.. So much for never dying. If she was Catholic, she'd be a saint. We all have to die.

I left when I was 30 and got a divorce. I went back for a few years in my 40s . . just long enough to confirm my gut feelings . . it was 1996 when I entered a KH for the last time.

I am happy for you that you have found a relationship with a higher power. It was a heartfelt prayer and much anguish such as yours that led me back to the cult in 1991. Atfter that, I have concluded that such things are just certain ratios of chemicals and compounds in the physical brain.

Peace be with you, my brother.

• RollerDave
    RollerDave

I have been writing this as much for my own benefit as for anyone else, but at the same time if what I have experienced, or realized can be of any service, it delights me.

I have quite a bit more to get off my chest but only so much time in my day.

Quite a lot of controversy going on all around me, but that will hopefully make it into a post real soon.

Thanks again for your kind words,

Roller

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Hi Roller,

Welcome to the forum.

There are not too many of us unbaptised children of JWs around, so it is nice to see another one here.

You woke up to the deception at a much younger age than I did. Congratulations buddy.

I lived under the cloud of the rapidly approaching termination of my life for 52 years before I woke up.

Meanwhile, I had married an Anglican, introduced her to my father's cult (which she took to like a duck to water) and let my children become victims too.

None of my family shun me yet.

All of my life my family has been wanting me to study the WT. Now that I am doing that, they forget to respond to any of the questions I have asked. My daughter did respond to my request for some new Watchtowers and Awake!s while my wife was overseas. She said, "No!".

One day I will get around to telling my story, but it may be prudent for me to wait until I get my family out.

Cheers

Chris

• RollerDave
    RollerDave

Chris:

Yes, your course does sound like the most prudent course.

Some may have noticed that I don't make any real attempt to conceal who I am, my real name is in my profile.

I guess I'm glad to say that I don't care in the slightest if anyone knows I said what I said because it's what I would honestly say to their face and, in some cases, have.

They hold nothing over me, and in that, I am quite fortunate. I really feel for those of you forced to live under the baleful stare of the Flaming Eye of Mordor.

Hang in there, your day will come.

Roller

• bernadette
    bernadette

Hi Dave

I lived in a handicapped building that took up one city block and was attached to another city block that was a public park. In the dead of night with the stars all spread out across the sky I would get on my power chair and make my way to the top of a little hill in the middle of this park, away from what I perceived as the 'interference' of all those other human minds stuffed with turmoil, and poured out my heart to the heavens.

I love open spaces too - your experience definitely resonates with me

I confessed my worthlessness, my inherent sinfulness, and the utter waste my life had been up to this point. I begged for guidance, wisdom, for faith. I pleaded for him to help me to be the kind of person I wanted to be, competent, just, reasonable, and strong. I marveled at the immensity of his creation and my insignificance within it, and the almost impossible realization I was coming to that he actually was there and cared about me!

thanks for sharing your experience - it is very moving and inspiring

bernadette

• flipper
    flipper

Welcome, RollerDave! flipper

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit