This is how messed up it was...

by themonster123 22 Replies latest jw friends

• dedpoet
    dedpoet

The new light doctrine has to be the most devious method the watchtower has
    ever devised to continually change their doctrine yet keep control of their members.
    The scripture they generally use to justify it, Proverbs 4:18, is taken completely out
    of context anyway:

14 Into the path of the wicked ones do not enter, and do not walk straight on into the way of the bad ones. 15 Shun it, do not pass along by it; turn aside from it, and pass along. 16 For they do not sleep unless they do badness, and their sleep has been snatched away unless they cause someone to stumble. 17 For they have fed themselves with the bread of wickedness, and the wine of acts of violence is what they drink. 18 But the path of the righteous ones is like the bright light that is getting lighter and lighter until the day is firmly established. 19 The way of the wicked ones is like the gloom; they have not known at what they keep stumbling

Reading the whole passage in context, it is quite obvious that it refers to the differrent
    outcomes that those following the right and wrong paths may expect, and has nothing
    whatsoever to do with new revelations of bible truth or understanding.

When the watchtower changes a doctrine these days, the new teaching becomes almost
    meaningless in comparison to the teaching it replaced. Take the generation change - prior
    to 1995, the watchtower were quite definite that large numbers of those that saw the events
    of 1914 would also see the end of the present system. By the 1990's, these people were
    dying off, and the doctrine either had to be changed or the watchtower would have been faced
    with the embarassment of explaining another failed prophecy. The watchtower's unwillingness
    to ever admit to a mistake made a change imperative, so it was made, and now no one has
    any clear idea which generation it is that will actually see the end.

The recent change in the May 1st watchtower, where they imply that the gathering of the
    anointed, which they have long maintained was completed in 1935 apart from replacements, is
    actually still taking place, gives them a way of explaining why the number of partakers at the
    memorial rarely falls, and sometimes even increases. It also postpones armageddon again, as
    I believe that they still teach that all the anointed must be gathered before the end comes. They
    can now delay the completion of this gathering of the anointed for as long as they can get away
    with it which, knowing how the majority of jws still accept anything the gb says as the truth, may
    be for a good few years yet.

Just how long jws will continue to accept these changes without question is anyone's guess,
    but the org seems to have the ability to replace ideas they previously stated as fact with newer,
    less definite theories, and get many of their members to not only accept the "new light", but to
    almost forget that they ever taught anything else. Therefore, more enforced changes may be on
    the horizon for the wts, and though there may be some initial resistance, most jws will probably
    just accept them without question.

dedpoet

• avidbiblereader
    avidbiblereader

Good points Monster123, I know exactly how you feel and you are right

Malici 3:6a “For I am Jehovah; I have not changed

Hebrews 13: 8 Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today, and forever.

James 1:17 NLT Whatever is good and perfect comes down to us from God our Father, who created all the lights in the heavens. He never changes or casts a shifting shadow.

If they don't change, makes you wonder who is running this ship, they are all over the map.

abr

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

I can't help but post in sadness at the blatant hypocrisy posted here right now.

Look in the mirror and ask how often you change your mind.
    Look at your own history and chart how it changes in relation to God and your own weak understanding of those teachings.
    Look at the beliefs you have taken up and discarded in your own journey.

Now ask yourself what scripture really is - is it a standard set firmly against which there can be no change (if that's your thinking then go line up with the rest of the pharisees)?
    Is God hamstrung by the understanding applied to him by imperfect children 2000 years ago - or yesterday? Is it possible that God has told all, that there are no further changes and revelations to be had - are we really so smug in our confidence in our interpretation?

When I look at scripture (and the ongoing scripture of any organisation that claims to speak for God) I see a potential record of God's dealings with people at a specific time and place and an invitation to write my own chapter - not a set of coconuts to be knocked down by my arrogance. What I would write as a child I would re-write as an adult. God teaches grace by grace, principle by principle. If this world has the complete pattern of a heavenly kingdom then it is the more impoverished for it - I hope theres a lot more to it. While I am no supporter of the WT as an organisation yet I know that the God I worship makes the sun shine upon all, likewise I would be churlish to assume that everything said by the WT society was not in some way inspired (I refuse to believe that any God would ignore anyone who sincerly tried to listen and do His will no matter how far off track they may be.) OK so some garbage was taught in God's name, garbage will be taught in His name in the future - this is no different from any christian church anywhere - you'll find similar garbage in any faith or philosophy. The problem is in having the humility to keep looking.

It's possible to walk with Jesus for three years and still not be converted and to still misunderstand the basics of the gospel. This life is a lonely one and we all huddle closer on cold nigts and seek the firelight. Organisations such as the WT provide light and even a dim light is better than no light at all. There are some who get burnt but that's just as much part of life itself, the WT isn't the best rep of God IMO but so what? Evolution in thought and doctrine is required (any modern day christian is a product of changing beliefs about God no matter how fundamentalist they dream they are.) Change is the lesson of life and any organisation that doesn't change is without life IMO.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit