When you were in field service....

by lavendar 35 Replies latest jw experiences

• lavendar
    lavendar

Did you ever have anyone, at the door, say something to you that created a seed of doubt in your mind about the WTS? Something at all that started you thinking "maybe I'm really NOT in the truth".

I would be interested in hearing about that.

Thanks,

Lavendar

• Arthur
    Arthur

Ironically, it was never anything that a householder said that caused me to doubt; but it was things the Society said that caused me to doubt. I began to notice most of these contradictions when I was a Regular Pioneer. Case in point:

One of the talking points that has often been printed in the Kingdom Ministry is to tell the householder that we are just going door-to-door and encouraging people to read the Bible more. On the surface, this sounds nice. But, I realized that it was at the very least, intellectually dishonest. This is because the Society has repeatedly stated in Watchtower artcles that personal, independent Bible reading alone will not lead a person to obtaining an accurate knowledge of the Bible - that they must come to the organization to genuinely benefit.

Therefore, how is it that we could go door-to-door and encourage people to spend time in a worthless pursuit? How could we encourage them to do something that could possibly mislead them into "false doctrines"? This was just one example.

I realized that we as Witnesses were trained to recite many cliches, platitudes, and talking points which were designed to make us appear reasonable and moderate. I realized that there were deffinately bait and switch tactics being used. It disturbed me deeply.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I can't search for the post now, but I commented on an experience once.

The householder was a hippie. He said "Do you really think God is so vain
    that he wants you to spend your time praising him/ stroking his ego?"

"How can God destroy me if I am a basically good person, just because
    I didn't accept a magazine from you guys? God created life because he
    wants us to enjoy life. Why would he just create us to be in a big test?"

I did not argue with the guy. It really shook me.

• White Dove
    White Dove

"You people don't believe in giving to charity." "Our church has programs to help the poor and disadvantaged." At the time, I viewed these like any JW would: Yes, but we give life saving help to people. It was on my mind from then on, though, and I always wondered about why the Witlesses never gave when they could take from charity. I really viewed that as a double standard that was not quite right. Something was not quite right. Those things kept adding up.

• White Dove
    White Dove

On the way out,

That is absolutely beautiful! That shook me, too. It is right! Life shouldn't be one big test. JW's always say that God created us to enjoy life. So, let's all just get a bong and enjoy it! No more guilty pleasures, just healthy pleasures. God created weed. Man created beer. Any questions?

• White Dove
    White Dove

Arthur,

Yes, that is one that got me to thinking a little. I thought how clever to say that we were just encouraging Bible reading when we had complete conversion on our minds. The elder giving the talk on that on the school mentioned to say that and reassure them we were not trying to convert them. Then he laughed while saying on the side that of course we were trying to convert them, ha ha ha. I liked sneakiness in some ways, so this appealed to me. I have learned since then that it is not a good idea and sounds like fraud.

• mouthy
    mouthy

No I can honestly say I never had a housholder plant doubt. The times I wondered if we had it right was when I had to work alone in a country territory,( Fergus Ontario -for all you elders reading this site) I have rheamotoid Arthrities ,& the pain I experienced as I walked , rang doors, knocked at doors, Was excruitiating , I used to talk to Jehovah on the way back ( I couldnt drive) Used to say to him,"Jehovah I know I have not lead a good life -that is probably why I have this illness, but I am really trying to work all my sins out. Please help me get home."... as I felt like passing out....My husband would laugh at me... He didnt like my punishing god.... Come to think of it I dont like the WT god either now. But the hubby is dead so he dont know I agree with him >to late!!!! He would have liked me to have been wrong AGAIN!!!!

• themonster123
    themonster123

That always bugged me, too when I was out with others in field service, and they would go, "Well, we're not trying to convert you etc etc." Could anything have been farther from the Truth? No-the answer is no. Our primary reason and ultimate goal in going door to door was to make us some gosh-derned Jee-hovahs Witnesses out of dem worldly folk. Yee-haw pardner.

• lavendar
    lavendar

What would you say was your most common response when a person opened the door??

Lavendar

• Arthur
    Arthur
    What would you say was your most common response when a person opened the door??

Uhh. Uhhmm. I'm a Bible student, would you like to read a Bible based magazine?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit