What forbidden music did you listen to?

by brinjen 21 Replies latest jw friends

• brinjen
    brinjen

It may have been done before, if it has it's being done again.

What worldly music did you listen to? I'm talking about the singer/band that made the elders blood boil and got you whispers and stares at the kingdom hall.

I was an eighties child so for me it was Madonna! The lacy tops and bras, crucifixes, slutty makeup and openess towards sex was the perfect outlet for me. Cranking up the stereo to songs such as 'Like A Virgin', 'Material Girl' & 'Papa Don't Preach' was the perfect rebellion. I even went to meetings with streaked hair with half a tube of gel in, all messed up, black nail polish etc. I spent quite a bit of time in the back room with elders over my appearance & attitude.

What was your musical rebellion?

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Led Zeppellin -

• compound complex
    compound complex

Welcome to the board, Brinjen!

I "inspired" one of the elders to use information on "Like a Virgin" in his service meeting talk. Definitely not a pro-Madonna talk! I was so paranoid about the music of my day [and I'm a musician] that I couldn't bear to listen to "Age of Aquarius" for what I deemed its connection to the dark forces. I loved the song so much that I eventually rationalized myself out of the self-imposed ban and began to listen with sheer abandon. What nonsense I was subject to!

CoCo

• juni
    juni

Welcome to the board Brinjen!

For a long time I followed what they said. (I was baptized in 1971). Then as I went a long I said to hell with them...... so I listened to about everything. Of course I didn't broadcast it. Loved a lot of the ' 80s music.

When I first came in and for a few years thereafter I would only listen to the Kingdom Melody records. Oh god -----talk about droning on and on and on.....

Juni

• TheCoolerKing
    TheCoolerKing

hey Brinjen, I didn't realize you were so "new"! LOL

Welcome to the board!!!

My rebel music was mainly from the late 70s, early 80s. But I remember being extremely pissed off when the elders said that the group QUEEN was demonic! Supposedly if you play "Another One Bites the Dust" backwards youll hear, "I love to smoke maraijuana." As crazy as it sounds I actually tried playing the 33 1/3 (anybody still remember them?? lol) backwards, to prove to my mother that it wasnt true.

She still made me throw my Queen album away!!!

TCK

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

The Doors, Blue Oyster Cult, Rolling Stones, The Beatles, Lawrence Welk, Frank Sinatra

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

I didn't like most heavy metal I heard but did like Metallica quite a bit. I also got really into Siouxsie and the Banshees while I was still attending the meetings, and I think the elders would not have approved. :) In fact, I first heard of them from a sister my age who was disfellowshipped shortly afterward. But mainly I was into synthpop.

• Threestars
    Threestars

My parents pretty much ignored me since I always loved classical music as a kid and didn't geti nto Rock until later and then I kept my preferences to myself.

One strange thing, though. I loved Stravinsky's piece "The Rite of Spring". My Dad had built this huge HiFi system with a speaker about five feet tall and wide and it had a tremendous bass. I would crank up the volume and lie on the floor in front of this speaker, press my hands into my eyeballs in order to make those flashing colors appear, and roll back and forth, pretending that dinosaurs or something like that were trying to trample me. (Disney's "Fantasia" used that piece for its dinosaur section).

Well, my Dad busted me once--for obvious reasons I didn't hear or see him coming--and he wanted to know what the hell I was doing. I was about nine or ten at the time. When he saw the music I was listening to he said that I was opening my mind to "demon influence" and forbade me to listen to that LP anymore--and no rolling on the floor like a heathen, either. I did it anyway but was just more careful not to get caught.

My little brother, when he was about twelve, really loved the song "In the Year 2525" and asked my Dad if he could buy the 45. Well, my Dad took him to the store and asked to listen to that song. After he heard it he turned to my poor brother and said, "No son--this song will turn you away from the Truth".

Bunch of poppycock!

• free2think
    free2think

Welcome Brinjen.

I used to listen to hip hop, and rap but only radio edits, lol. Even my guilty pleasure wasn't so naughty.

• ninja
    ninja

adam and the ants...and one time...the wurzels

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit