Home Schooling - Yes or No?

by winnie 40 Replies latest jw friends

• AllAlongTheWatchtower
    AllAlongTheWatchtower

The first thing that comes to mind when I hear 'home schooling' is an image of the Flanders family, from the Simpsons. No thanks. I'm of the opinion that home-schooled kids generally lack socialization, and are usually too sheltered. I think it would also be difficult to resist the temptation to mold the kids in your own image, so to speak. Meaning, it is natural and understandable to want to pass on your values/opinions to your children, but it is also desirable for them to have a different point of view. Else how will they ever form their own thoughts? Education isn't just 2+2, and they don't call them the 'formative years' for nothing.

• Nowman
    Nowman

No. Yet, there will be circumstances where home schooling is the right thing to do. I was home schooled after freshman year of highschool. This was so bad associations would not spoil useful habits. It was also done so I could work part time and pioneer at 15 (aux.), then at 17 I regular pioneered. I graduated a year early too. I recieved a real highschool diploma. I have never had a problem socially, but it effected me in other ways. I was extremely sensative, became a real people pleaser. The good thing was though, I had job experience at a very young age. I pretty much stayed in the business too, I have been successful because of EXPERIENCE.

I hated being homeschooled though, but my parents always taught me to work smart and hard.

Nikki

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

I think it depends on the reasons for homeschooling and the parents. I would say yes if the parent was conscientious and truly wanted the best education for their child and was determined and devoted to ensuring that that happened. If the parent is not wanting their kids to be with other kids, or adults out of fear. . .that would concern me. If the parent did not want their children 'exposed' to the 'world' that would concern me. The world is an influence, but parents are the biggest influence. Children will have to learn to deal with 'the world' eventually, and school is a generally safe place to begin. I don't think it is evil or wrong of parents to homeschool because of those concerns, but I do think that those parents will not be getting the result they expect by homeschooling.

Homeschooling does not have to isolate children, but with a certain kind of parent, it most definitely has that risk.

Homeschooling can be a great boon for parents and children in certain educational circumstances. If there is a real danger with the local schools, it is wise to consider that among other options (like moving/changing schools/districts/private schools). Some children DO need very intensive instruction, and if the parent is up for it, it may be the best thing.

• kwintestal
    kwintestal

Definately NO. Kids need to learn how to relate to other people. They don't get this at home and end up socially behind after a decade of solitude.

Kwin

• hazeleyes
    hazeleyes

I was thinking about home schooling only for the fact that I'm scared to send my Austic son to school in September.....will he be picked on, made fun of, get hurt, etc. I have come to find out that he will have a teachers aid 99% of the time. So that makes me feel a little better. I have come to realize since I found out that he is austic, that keeping him "social" is very important. He is super smart now, but to enhance his life I have to put my fears away, put him in school so he can gain the social skills he needs to live a life.

• jgnat
    jgnat

I have a friend who is an amazing special-ed aid in the public system. She's taken several autistic children and socialized them enough in their first year that they have managed afterwards without an aid. She keeps working her way out of a job, but I love her for it. I also know I could not do what she does.

• DJK
    DJK
    he will be picked on, made fun of, get hurt, etc.

I can relate to that. Kids always single out someone different to pick on. The first grade was the toughest for me, I was singled out at the first flag salute. I still think public schools are better than home schooling.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

I was home schooled for one yr while we were travelling and came out ahead of my class, but my mother was a professional teacher. My persoanl opinion is that home schooling is about isolation, school is about integration.

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

Most parents are not interested in the socialization aspect of their childrens development when choosing to homeschool. I know of non JW families and JW families who homeschooled and the reasons for doing so were varied. Not one of them was concerned about socialization. The JW families did it only because they did not want their kids exposed to worldly kids. They believed that if they allowed their kids to attend school, they would be tempted to socialize so to avoid bad association they remained home. One family in particular did send their kids to public school for a while but only because they lived close to their families who would have disapproved - once they moved away and were more isolated, their kids stayed home. Every one of the kids in all of the families that were JW did not do well in any subject. Each one, when they tried to get a job later on, had to take courses to get their GED and this took quite some time. The family that home schooled their child that was non JW, again did not care about socialization - they did it because they lived in a very rural community, away from family, and the husband was abusive. Better to hide the abuse if there was no contact with anyone outside the home. This kid in particular was removed from the home finally and put into regular school where it took some time to fit in, but she eventually became a really good student. I think overall, it depends on the reasons why someone is home schooling and the committment to doing the best for the child. sammieswife.

• Paralipomenon
    Paralipomenon

I would suggest trying home schooling over a summer time.

It requires a ton of time, patience, dedication and work. I would hazard to say that most that consider homeschooling just aren't cut out for it. Yes it can be very successful but that is usually the exception not the rule.

1) Dedication, the kids need a schedule set in stone of when they are expected to learn

2) Work area. A part of the house should be set aside for study. Do you like to listen to music while cleaning or watch a TV show in the afternoon? That may be an interference with the children's concentration

3) Errands. While you have the flexibility to go at any time you will need to bring all the children with you. Not bad for just one, but if you have more than one things can start to get strained.

4) Aptitude. Are you suited to be a teacher? Do you understand the subjects well enough to help someone else learn? Are you willing to do the homework after "school hours" to keep ahead of your children's studies as they get older and into more complex subjects?

5) Expense. Most school districts will provide you with an "education allowance" but you will need to have alot of trial and error for which learning style suits your child the most.

6) Humility. Your child may not be suited for home schooling. They may have a learning disability or just not able to focus at home. You need to be able to recognize if your child would actually be better in a school environment.

7) Partnership. After a full day of interacting with the kids you need some time to be an adult. Your spouse needs to be on board to help with the housework and give you a break. From what I've observed this it one of the biggest issues. One spouse is so focused on the kids, their needs, education etc. that their spouse gets little to no attention.

In all, it's not something to jump into lightly, understanding all the angles and to be truthful with yourself. Evaluate yourself and see if you have the resources and atributes in your life right now. If you don't, I would suggest working on those attributes BEFORE attempting home schooling.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit