Home Schooling - Yes or No?

by winnie 40 Replies latest jw friends

• winnie
    winnie

What are your opinions?

It seems that alot of JW's are into this.

I think there is a time and place for this, ie if you don't have access to a public/private school.

It doesn't seem regulated to me. My mother home schooled my sister because she couldn't be bothered taking and picking her up from school. (5 minutes away!) Interfered with their lifestyle...she said.

As a result, my sister is 16, is illiterate, dumb, has no education (never went to any school), has absolutely no chance of getting a job.

But that's ok...she can go pioneering!

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis

We are going to homeschool our younger one beginning after she finishes preschool.

The reasons for this are:

a) The schools around here have maybe 30 kids to one teacher. I remember school and when you have That many kids to one teacher, with no aide, that teacher Cannot keep up. Especially in light of our country's No Child Left Behind Act which has given teachers More paperwork to complete.

b) Each child has their own learning style, which can usually be categorized into some basic patterns. Curriculums in school are designed to "try" to hit each style, but really, they don't. I.e. Some kids just do not learn well unless it's hands on, practical reality type learning. As a result, give a kid an assignment out of a book, without anything else, and they likely will not do well. In the early grades, like preschool and kindegarten (4 - 5 yrs old) they are better about this. But by the time they get to 1st grade, it drastically changes. I had a conversation with a woman the other day whose daughter is in elementary school (she is 8) and she feels like she might as well homeschool her.

c) Kindegarten here is a full day thing. This means my 5 yr old would be with a person I don't know for 5 days a week, 6 hours a day. That doesn't sit well with me. I am Extremely picky about who watches my kids. For babysitters, they must be adults that I personally know and who my kids are comfortable with. You Can handpick teachers in the schools, but that doesn't matter as I don't know Any of them.

d) Quite frankly, kids are losing respect for both themselves and others. I think of it like this, would I allow her to hang out with some of these kids at home? No. Would I allow her to hang out with some of these kids at their home? No. So why on earth am I going to put her in a classroom where the teacher is already swamped, and further on a playground where conversations are taking place and teasing etc without some one There to intervene when it takes a wrong turn?

I see and share your concerns, but homeschooling Does Not and Should Not mean a kid just staying home and watching tv all day or Not getting an education. There are too many resources out there for kids to learn well and become responsible persons. I've been spending a good chunk of time educating Myself first on this and putting together a plan of action.

• RR
    RR

I agree home schooling has its place. However I've found that those who are HS'd have no people skills, much like the majority of JW's .... LOL

I guess it could work if done properly and the parents are serious about it, and most importantly having network so that your child has outside activities with others kids his or her age.

I'm surprised the Society has not; 1. encouraged home schooling and or 2. created their own JW schools, much like the Catholic, and SDA's.

RR

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

Personally, Im against home schooling because of the lack of socialization that the kids wil have, even if the education were superior, the children need to learn team building skills and other things that can only come from participating in groups.

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis
    Personally, Im against home schooling because of the lack of socialization that the kids wil have, even if the education were superior, the children need to learn team building skills and other things that can only come from participating in groups.

This was a huge concern of mine and one thing I learned right away was this:

There is NO reason for a child to Not have socialization when homeschooled. When a parent who is sincerely interested in homeschooling does their homework, they will find both co ops (where parents work together to create a school like atmosphere where they both "socialize" with other students and are given opportunities to work together.

On top of that, there are a number of classes that are available, from sports to dance, you name it.

In Many cases, that I have personally witnessed And have read about in various books, children who are homeschooled have excellent social skills as their parents are able to instruct them how to interact with people of All ages. My point is not that homeschooling is superior to public education, but that when a parent is serious about homeschooling their child, believe me they have already worried about socialization and have tackled that problem. They have looked ahead and for groups in which their children can interact with other children.

Google homeschooling and the number of support groups out there is amazing. Out of all the cases of homeschooling, I have seen 1 family where the children were just short of being illiterate and have no social skills. The others have excellent social skills and are well read.

It all comes down to the parent.

• jgnat
    jgnat

I think only a few rare people pull it off successfully. Home Schooling was all the fad amongst the evangelicals when I was raising my children (I chose a private school). I became suspicious when the literature talked about the sacrifices the entire family would have to make. Why huge sacrifices? Isn't the goal to make things BETTER for the child? And I felt vindicated when books on overcoming "homeschool burnout" started coming out.

Think about it. A teacher at least gets summers and "professional development" days. She takes some work home, but generally her evenings are her own. She can specialize on a particular grade or subject and refine it year by year. A homeschooling mother gets NO time off. Every event is a "teaching moment". There are no holidays, and there are no breaks. When does she have time to develop a curriculum, create a program? She needs to learn as the children learn, so she can't refine or go back and fix her mistakes. What is not learned is gone.

Institutional learning has some big drawbacks as well. It is not as individualized. It tends to be impersonal. Some children will fall in the cracks. Parents have to be vigilant and take action if necessary.

BUT I have big problems with individualized learning that is not tested or monitored by an objective third party. From some of the examples given here, the results can be devastating to the child's development. Here in Alberta, I think the checks and balances are well-developed. At least I hope so.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother
    they will find both co ops (where parents work together to create a school like atmosphere where they both "socialize" with other students and are given opportunities to work together.

That may be true if the parents are suitably qualified and sensible..Does that sound like most dubs? I thought their main motive was so that the kids would not have to "mix with the world"I am not even a parent, so you can shoot me down, but the witnesses I knew who did this kept the kids seperated.

IMHO, unless there are special reasons the kids lose out on social interaction. If you don't learn how to cope with others as a 10yr old, it will be darn hard when you are 18 and plunged into the world for the first time

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Home schooling is really exceptional in France, yet my half-sister (who was 2 y.o. when our father and her mother became JWs) was home-schooled most of the time. In that particular case that was about starting life with a 18-year prison term. From my JW teenage years the only breath of fresh air came from school -- I hated holidays.

I guess it is very difficult for parents to realise how narrow and oppressive a place "home" can become to their children.

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis
    That may be true if the parents are suitably qualified and sensible..Does that sound like most dubs? I thought their main motive was so that the kids would not have to "mix with the world"I am not even a parent, so you can shoot me down, but the witnesses I knew who did this kept the kids seperated.

I'm not a JW, so I suppose I am approaching this from the non-jw perspective.

IMHO, unless there are special reasons the kids lose out on social interaction. If you don't learn how to cope with others as a 10yr old, it will be darn hard when you are 18 and plunged into the world for the first time

This is exactly what I'm saying...If a parent allows this to happen. Does it happen? Sure. All the time? No. If it does is homeschooling itself to blame? No. The parent is.

I think only a few rare people pull it off successfully. Home Schooling was all the fad amongst the evangelicals when I was raising my children (I chose a private school). I became suspicious when the literature talked about the sacrifices the entire family would have to make. Why huge sacrifices? Isn't the goal to make things BETTER for the child? And I felt vindicated when books on overcoming "homeschool burnout" started coming out.

Parents make sacrifices for their kids. It happens, comes with the job. In my school life, I had perhaps 2 teachers that I can honestly say taught with a passion for helping others learn. The others were there to collect paychecks and give tests. My first grade teacher was evil and had the temperment of a raging bull. The fourth, fifth and sixth grade teachers, only one I can honestly say was a good guy. The others were evil wenches that preferred to either embarrass their students or physically harm their kids. This was public school. This was this school district that I am now living in. Why huge sacrifices? Hm..

Think about it. A teacher at least gets summers and "professional development" days. She takes some work home, but generally her evenings are her own. She can specialize on a particular grade or subject and refine it year by year. A homeschooling mother gets NO time off. Every event is a "teaching moment". There are no holidays, and there are no breaks. When does she have time to develop a curriculum, create a program? She needs to learn as the children learn, so she can't refine or go back and fix her mistakes. What is not learned is gone.

The teachers that our kids have right now, do Not have evenings to themselves. Most work late into the evenings.

And homeschooling mothers should get time off by scheduling it for herself, just like any sensible parent does. A parent cannot be "on" all the time. The best parents that I know, homeschooling and nonhomeschooling, make sure that each parent has down time away from the kids to regroup and relax. The homeschoolers that I know take holidays, take breaks and get down time. Curriculums are developed as they learn their child's needs for the following year.

I.e a parent will likely start developing a curriculum based on what the tests say (yes tests) to them this year so that they know where their child is lagging. As for tests, there are third parties that provide testing, as many states have very strict requirements that a homeschooling famly must meet yearly. Further, there are third parties that provide curriculum and testing and help you answer to the state at the end of the year. I know of a few that have good, perhaps excellent qualifications. Many who work for these companies are teachers or former teachers.

Institutional learning has some big drawbacks as well. It is not as individualized. It tends to be impersonal. Some children will fall in the cracks. Parents have to be vigilant and take action if necessary.

I agree with this. I have to add...

We had a problem with a specific school and teacher and principal a few years back with Hannah. We learned that our school district does Not work well with parents. Parents in these areas have to play hard and nasty to get what their child deserves, because in all honesty, the school district reps don't want to deal with it.

I absolutely do see where the perspective is in relation to a parent homeschooling a child to keep them away from the "world". I have to say this though,I have met homeschooling parenst from so many different walks who are not necessarily trying to shield their kids from the world, but are seeking to provide an environment where a child can learn without having to worry unnecessarily about violence and peer pressures. Peer pressure starts from such an early age. I know and understand why people tend to think "But a child has to learn to deal with it". I won't argue with that. However, my theory, and it is only that, is that young ones want so badly to fit in that school can become more a place of learning to fit in, even at the cost of their self respect, and less a place of learning reading, writing and arithemetic.

I think too, it really depends on a persons own experiences with school. I.e. if you have had positive experiences with school and less positive experiences with homeschooling, your opinion on the matter might reflect that. And this applies vice versa as well.

My experiences with the school as a child, and my experiences with the schools and school district as an adult has led me to the conclusion that I have come to.

I think the key is this:

If you can't be a good, balanced parent, you will likely not be a good, balanced homeschooler.

• jgnat
    jgnat

I understand your rebuttal points, Black Swan, which is why I did not answer "yes" or "no" to this question. The schools in your area do sound awful. I was one of those children who suffered in the public system. Thank God I learned to read from the British West Indies reader before I returned to Canada in the second grade. But I would have suffered far more at home alone with my mother. I chose a private school for my own children. I wonder now if I overreacted. There are some very good public schools here as well. My daughter joined the public system in High School, and she adjusted quite quickly. She had her moments early on. I remember her coming home from one of her English classes, disgusted. The student had asked, "What does comprehend mean?"

Separating children from their school peers for religious reasons does seem unhealthy. There are immigrant and religious associations here who have supplementary Saturday schools to educate the children on their cultural heritage, without separating them from the public system.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit