can a jw marry a non jw?

by spirtos 15 Replies latest watchtower bible

• spirtos
    spirtos

i have had a relationship with a lovely girl whos been following the jw faith since birth. she hasnt been baithized yet and planes to this year. we were going to get married a few years ago but didnt due to problems not reguarding religon. now that our other problems are out of the way i think shes going to be more involved in her religon then ever.

how will being married to a jw be? im basicaly un decided and never really introuduced to a religon. but i do see flaws in the jw. i see a lot of material on here, quotes from old watchtower magazines. is there anyway to get a hold of the actualy mags to show her? cause as you all know..she wont bother reading anything off the net..thinking its work of evil.

how do i get actual material that i can show her that she will believe was published from the watchtower and not made up by evil people?

will her being a jw and me not going to the meetings or door to door with her if she plans on doing that eventualy drive us apart?

are jw's really aloud to marry non jws? she said yes in the past ..but will she change her mind?

• brinjen
    brinjen

Yes and no, she can marry a non JW but it is frowned upon. She'll be considered an outsider by her congregation, she'll be constantly reminded how her husband will be destroyed at armaegeddon and it will be rubbed in her face how she's married a 'non-believer'. You'll need to think long and hard about this one, Her religion is her life it will affect yours in every aspect possible. Sorry to sound so blunt but those are the facts

• Atlantis
    Atlantis

Make Sure Of All Things-p.332-Marriage-1965 Jehovah's Witnesses may marry a non-witness, however, it is frowned upon and the non-witness is always pressured to become a JW. I have personally known some witnesses who "threatened" their mates with divorce and legal proceedings if they did not become a JW! (If you need to download publications, then just post what you need and the board will do its best to help you!)

• jgnat
    jgnat

Hi, I am a non-JW married to one. All the advice given so far is absolutely correct. My husband and I married privately, a civil ceremony, and no-one at his hall were told of our marriage. My JW husband would not be married by member of the clergy, or step inside a church.

When I visit the hall, some members rush up afterwards, "we missed you at the meetings", others ignore me. They think I am an "unbeliever". I know this because an elder once (incorrectly) referred to me as one, and my husband says so on occassion. This, even though I am a regular Christian, a Sunday School teacher to a lovely bunch of little girls, and attend my church services regularly.

how will being married to a jw be?

I advise that you do not have children together. The conflicts over how to raise the children will be severe. This advice does not apply to me, as I have already raised my children. All seasonal holidays will be a battle, if you care about them. Weddings and funerals of (non-JW) loved ones will be a battle, if they are housed in a church. Expect her over time to be increasingly rude to your (non-JW) relatives.

is there anyway to get a hold of the actualy mags to show her? cause as you all know..she wont bother reading anything off the net..thinking its work of evil.

Sure, ask her to get you your own copy through her study leader. JW's love to give out their CURRENT publications. Then, if you read blondie's review here every week, you can ask questions ON CURRENT MAGAZINES that your sweetheart is studying.

Another CURRENT book you might ask for her to review with you is called THE SECRET TO FAMILY HAPPINESS. There's a whole section in there on how to live with a spouse who is not a JW (unequally yoked). Before you two tie the knot, it would be very wise for the two of you to read that section together to make sure she is willing to live by those guidelines, and you are comfortable with someone DOING them.

will her being a jw and me not going to the meetings or door to door with her if she plans on doing that eventualy drive us apart?

Very likely so. It is a very difficult path your are following. There must be MUTUAL RESPECT for your differences. You must show constant vigilance, lots of communication, lots of questions. My husband promised to respect my beliefs, but he breaks that promise regularly. Usually shortly after a service where his congregation has been reminded to reject "christendom's" falsehoods. After meetings like that, he comes home a different person, a black look and an evil tongue. I have also had to get used to the times apart as he attends the many meetings a week.

are jw's really aloud to marry non jws? she said yes in the past ..but will she change her mind?

It's a "yes, but..." as you can see from the comments above. Could she change her mind? A real possibility. When my husband told his elders he was thinking of marrying a "non-believer", his study leader was very severe with him, giving him a whole bunch of warning scriptures about not being "unequally yoked". My husband was terrified in to believing that marrying me would put him at risk of the eternal death. He finally decided, after many sleepless nights that he would rather want a short life with me here on earth than an eternity without me. Very sweet.

He's had second thoughts after his mother died. The thought that if he does not remain a good JW he will never see her again eats at him.

• fokyc
    fokyc

Welcome Spirtos

Definitely NOT recommended, take it from an experienced one.

A life-time of woe!!

fokyc

• jgnat
    jgnat

Silly me.

Here's a whole series of articles from people in a similar situation.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/32/77159/1.ashx

• TheCoolerKing
    TheCoolerKing

First off, welcome to the board spirtos! I see this is your first post.

I have to agree with the other posters here. While a JW can marry a non-JW, it's not recommended. Nothing is more important to a JW than their religion. This could cause lots of stress and pain in your marriage. You truly have to think long and hard about that kind of decision. I hope things work out for you.

I agree too that the best way to educate a JW is with their OWN past publications. Especially since they are forbidden to read anything else. As far as obtaining Watchtower materials you can check out Randy Watters website: http://www.freeminds.org/. There you can find and purchase the actual Watchtower publications that you need. Even EBAY has Watchtower materials available that might be helpful. Best of luck to you!!!

• hambeak
    hambeak

Think of this a true JW's loyalty is first to the organization then God. Family is not in the equation as they are discarded quickly. Hold on and asses your feelings and investigate the borg. Unless you are willing to give all your freedom and mental health up go for it or if not you are headed for a life of unhappiness and frustration.

If you read a lot of the topics and posts on this board you will see what I mean

Good luck and best wishes to you

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

A Big Welcome. You came in during the night on the weekend. Come back to your
    thread on Monday morning about 9 AM and comment to bump yourself to the top and
    you will get more comments.

how do i get actual material that i can show her that she will believe was published from the watchtower and not made up by evil people?

You can ask her for the WT Library CD-ROM. Start your research here and other anti-JW sites.
    If you want to quote the magazines when you read info from these sites, print from the CD-ROM.
    Basic reading to help you to help her- Ray Franz's CRISIS OF CONSCIENCE. Don't tell JW's you
    are reading it. They say Ray is Apostate (evil servant of the Devil), but really, he used to be one of
    the WT leaders, then he left the organization.

• golf2
    golf2

Answer to your question, I did. My wife passed away a year today. We would have been married 44 years. We knew each other since childhood, 60 years. No regrets.

Golf

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit