"Disfellowshipping" - a word being phased out? (Anybody got a WBTS CD?)

by sass_my_frass 48 Replies latest jw friends

• Spike Tassel
    Spike Tassel

Isaac, I have all my September mags already. But, for me, there's virtually no point being much ahead of the Watchtower article being studied. My recall is virtually zero, I have to look at my underlining or marginal notes to even know that I've seen the material before. That's just how my mind works, or doesn't work (at the case might be).

Now, if the WT-library CD could be updated online like Mozilla Firefox, and if even someone "not one of Jehovah's Witnesses" like me could access it, then perhaps I could be much more fluent as to the 2009 issues. With basically no recall now for current events, most things just must "slip through my fingers".

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Spike,

Seeing as you have access to them, do yourself, and us, a favour;

Scan, OCR & PDF them and post them to a file server so that we can all benefit from them.

Cheers

Chris

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Fwiw, the French translation of several key "judicial" WT terms, including "disfellowshipping" and "judicial," has been changed years ago for obvious legal reasons. Disfellowshipping used to be translated as exclusion, now it is excommunication (like in Catholic canon law); Judicial Committees are comités de discipline religieuse (religious discipline committees), instead of comités judiciaires.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/jw/friends/113468/1/Lexical-changes-in-JW-judicial-system

• Spike Tassel
    Spike Tassel

Chris, it won't be me doing the scan job on the WT publications. #1, my scanner's not working right now. #2, all my mags up to June 2009 are all personally marked up already, #3 my PDF is a read-only version, and #4 I don't know about any file server system or how that all works. Sorry, but I wish I could help.

As to Narkissos' comments, I wouldn't be surprised if the English didn't go the way of the French with excommunication, and religious discipline committees. Makes more sense to my logic.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos
    I wouldn't be surprised if the English didn't go the way of the French with excommunication

Did you mean what you wrote with that double negation (the English won't change anything) or the opposite? ;)

In any case, they do not seem to have changed anything so far...

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

Spike said:

Isaac, I have all my September mags already. But, for me, there's virtually no point being much ahead of the Watchtower article being studied. My recall is virtually zero, I have to look at my underlining or marginal notes to even know that I've seen the material before. That's just how my mind works, or doesn't work (at the case might be).

Now, if the WT-library CD could be updated online like Mozilla Firefox, and if even someone "not one of Jehovah's Witnesses" like me could access it, then perhaps I could be much more fluent as to the 2009 issues. With basically no recall now for current events, most things just must "slip through my fingers".

My reply:

While a seemingly nice answer...its all on your BS that has already been shown. You're whole story is false and you are an imposter.

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

Leolaia: One interesting tidbit if you examine the CD-ROM is that the Society mispelled the words as "disfellowshiped" and "disfellowshiping" up until 1981, and then they figured out how these words should be spelled and have spelled them correctly since.

According to Merriam-Webster online, both spellings are acceptable, but it looks like the single 'p' is more unusual.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/fellowshipping

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

AnnOMaly,

It certainly does seem to take the WT a long time to catch up to the rest of the world. I always wonder why, when the WT gets 'new light' it is simply stuff the rest of the world already knew. Ever wonder why those outside "God's org" get the light before his own org?

• Spike Tassel
    Spike Tassel

oh, hello, darling, Isaac

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit